RMweb

Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

Each to his own, Brian Personally I like my locos and stock looking as I remember them. Whilst some were relatively clean many were far grubbier than the ones I have weathered. My wife who likes coming to exhibitions often says "It's too clean" when looking at a layouts stock when it hasn't been weathered "It looks too toy like" is another comment and I must say I agree with her.

Edited by westerner

Its probably all my toy trains, Alan.  We like 'em bright and shiny but I realise scale enthusiasts rather have their stock a bit more realistic  In my OO period, I was never very good at weathering which probably encouraged a change of scale and as your good lady mentioned, more toy like shiny trains.

Brian

Got back today from a very enjoyable weekend at the Manchester exhibition helping my mate SAD exhibit his layout Salmon Pastures, a fictional shed set in Sheffield in the 1930s. A brilliant exhibition with quality layouts.

A not very good photo of Salmon Pastures

post-7090-0-00763300-1480968321_thumb.jpg

and the operating crew

post-7090-0-62041000-1480968390_thumb.jpg

from the left

Nev the Rev, SAD, myself (yes that's what I look like) and Roger

Neville job for the weekend was to instruct and monitor youngsters operating our tram, we've never done it before and it went down a treat, with both children and their parents. Hopefully there may spring a modeller from the 100 or so children that had a go.

• Like 8

Got back today from a very enjoyable weekend at the Manchester exhibition helping my mate SAD exhibit his layout Salmon Pastures, a fictional shed set in Sheffield in the 1930s. A brilliant exhibition with quality layouts.

A not very good photo of Salmon Pastures

attachicon.gifSP 21F.jpg

and the operating crew

attachicon.gifSP 20F.jpg

from the left

Nev the Rev, SAD, myself (yes that's what I look like) and Roger

Neville job for the weekend was to instruct and monitor youngsters operating our tram, we've never done it before and it went down a treat, with both children and their parents. Hopefully there may spring a modeller from the 100 or so children that had a go.

I wish I'd known that was you behind the scenes Alan, I've have said hello and shaken you hand for producing a quality layout.

Got back today from a very enjoyable weekend at the Manchester exhibition helping my mate SAD exhibit his layout Salmon Pastures, a fictional shed set in Sheffield in the 1930s. A brilliant exhibition with quality layouts.A not very good photo of Salmon Pasturesattachicon.gifSP 21F.jpgand the operating crewattachicon.gifSP 20F.jpgfrom the leftNev the Rev, SAD, myself (yes that's what I look like) and RogerNeville job for the weekend was to instruct and monitor youngsters operating our tram, we've never done it before and it went down a treat, with both children and their parents. Hopefully there may spring a modeller from the 100 or so children that had a go.

Hi, good to meet you all again at Manchester, first time was Barrow Hill. Really enjoy the layout and thanks for the heads up on painting the arches.

Ray & Polly.

• Like 1

Hi, good to meet you all again at Manchester, first time was Barrow Hill. Really enjoy the layout and thanks for the heads up on painting the arches.

Ray & Polly.

Hello Ray & Polly,

Likewise it was good to meet you over the weekend.

Since we got back I have been fannying about on the Pastures blog with the shots of the Manchester show and found this which I thought may be of interest after our discussions

https://www.flickr.com/photos/salmonpastures/8749455021/in/album-72157633524613344/

Alans camera does not pull any punches and if you magnify the shot you can get in amongst the grout!!!

Never done this before so I do hope it works!!!

SAD :sadclear:

• Like 1

After see pic of D845 Sprightly in its unique yellow and white front end, I've decided to repaint my out of period maroon warship. Plates and side stripe was purchased at the Manchester show and the other decals have been ordered today. The body was masked with maskol and masking tape and is now primed.

post-7090-0-95422100-1481213606_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-81427900-1481213623_thumb.jpg

My first attempt at a total repaint.

• Like 8

After see pic of D845 Sprightly in its unique yellow and white front end, I've decided to repaint my out of period maroon warship. Plates and side stripe was purchased at the Manchester show and the other decals have been ordered today. The body was masked with maskol and masking tape and is now primed.

attachicon.gifsprightly primed f1.jpg

attachicon.gifsprightly primed f2.jpg

Crickey Alan

Steady on old chap you'll be cutting and shaping brass next,,,, and we all know what that leads to!!!

Nice one mate,,, the Laird of Little Bytham will be extremely proud.

You do realise it is only a matter of time before you are seen in public at exhibitions rummaging in all those cardboard boxes under dealers stands.   :haha:

SAD :sadclear:

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifsprightly primed f1.jpg

attachicon.gifsprightly primed f2.jpg

Hi Alan

WOT!!!!!!!

Repaint a red Warship ??????

Surely the layout was out of period for the loco. :no: :nono: :no:

Looking forward to seeing the final product.

Having now seen the advert I'm saving something like £140-00 (£164-95 less the cost of decals and nameplates a maximum total of £25-00. The maroon model (yes I know it's technically a class 42) I already had bought some 5 or 6 years ago for £40-00 so if that cost is included perhaps my original savings estimate of £100-00 was about right and to be fair because it was out of period it was rarely run. Now when I've finished it will be used much more often.

Any way latest pix of repaint. It is now in green and awaiting white cab roof and transfers.

post-7090-0-33023400-1481384231_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-65973200-1481384246_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Slowly getting there

The white stripe added to day and the decals I needed also arrived this morning. Although typically it took me half an hour to find where I'd put the nameplates I'd bought at Manchester. Hopefully all will be finished by the end of the week Tomorrow will giv it a coat of Klear to aid putting on the decals.

Anyway the white stripe

post-7090-0-19782500-1481585027_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-10022800-1481585040_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Almost there but there are a couple of things I'm not too happy with. However as mention I re looked at photos and Sprightly now has pointy bits, thanks Doc.

post-7090-0-65189300-1481904383_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-26915500-1481904400_thumb.jpg

As well as correcting some of the flaws I can see I'm thinking of converting the roof so it looks more like a class 43.

Edited by westerner
  • Like 10