Realistic coach interiors

Guest baldrick25

Guest baldrick25

Having resprayed a few coach (exteriors) and fitted interior lighting etc, the coach interiors just don't look right.

I'm think of 60's type coaches , particularly GWR where the panneling was a darkish grained brown, and the seating a mix of orange and brown.

I can't even seem to find the right colours , let alone how to do it. I've tried applying a spray base colour then dry brushing from 'top to bottom' of the seat to give some texture , but that is exactly what it looks like when the roof is back on and the lighting lit.

Any suggestions please, before 'bums' get glued to seats...?

I haven't exposed my coach interiors to internal lighting yet so I will hazard an answer based on other contributions I have seen.

If you have a fairly bright LED light in like a flourescent all the colours will appear lighter. These older coaches were lit by fairly dim bulbs - I remember them well! - so the imterior appeared a little dingy.

I would imagine you will need to use darker colours than the original to achieve this effect.

Jack

Guest baldrick25

Wow, SP STeve, those are fantastic, I felt like curling up in one of the First Class ones with arms.....

I doubt if mine will look anywhere near as good as those , but its given me some ideas , and something to aim for.

Thanks also to the others who have replied, all much appreciated.

Superb bit of work Steve!

Going back a couple of years (possibly more?)... does anyone remember seeing the large scale Mk1 coach on display at Warley? IIRC it was in carmine and cream livery and the interior was fully detailed.... I think it was 5" gauge..... imagine a complete rake ot them!

Nidge

Heres my take on coach interiors from a few years ago- a couple of Southern Pride Mk1 interiors... Actual materials which although not exact were chosen to represent the seat moquette coverings. A small square of material, cut to a bigger size than needed to cover the seat, was placed against the bottom edge of the seat and then flooded with plastic weld ensuring that there was an overlap of material beyond this edge. By working upwards and pressing the material against the plastic and flooding it with plastic weld, the material pressed into the molten plastic and when dry stuck quite well.... Finally the various compartment elements were then glued together and voila! one coach interior!

Nice work, it looks very convincing (especially the wood grain on the compartments - I'll have to steal the idea :D)

I've been able to replicate authentic period moquette for my coach upgrades by obtaining a colour photograph of the moquette in question (usually available as part of a colour carriage interior photo from one of the many preserved railways websites), manipulating and resizing the image in photoshop, printing out sheets of "moquette" and then cutting out and applying the paper "moquette" to the plastic seating with white glue.

post-123-061508200 1288173310_thumb.jpg

post-123-042410900 1288173348_thumb.jpg

If you muck it up, it can be salvaged by using warm water brushed onto the seat to disintegrate the paper

Unfortunately, although I use fairly thin paper, I feel that the end result is a bit too thick. For the next coach upgrade I plan on firstly designing seat coverings for the moquette so when cut out they will conform to the seats better, and secondly print these out onto DIY transfer/decal paper - which should give a much better appearance.

F

Archived