New unidentified location

Blandford1969

Dartford.

The large factory building is the chemical works which is visible here My link

First time I've seen The Glimmer Twins, Mick and Keef introduced into this forum.....

When I first saw it I though that might be the old Decca works at New Malden..................just a hunch, but it's not.

Best, Pete.

Dartford.

No, signal box was at the juction, turntable across from the platform. [Ed] and no water crane

Maidstone East?

No, the turntable was immediately outside the west end of the shed entrance and again south and adjacent to the station. The signal box was at the end of the platform across the tracks.

The factory size, style and position all fits, if you look closely on the photo in this topic, you can see that even the smaller building with the gable roof is there.

The only thing I can't quite fathom is why the building appears to be newer in the later photo in the link posted by Lee.

• RMweb Gold

No, signal box was at the juction, turntable across from the platform. [Ed] and no water crane

Yes, but no. Dartford Junction SB could not in semaphore days have controlled the country end of the station - too darn far. Lee has posted the photo evidence of the other box (Dartford Station?) in pretty much the position the 1972 powerbox occupied, by which time the turntable was long gone, electric trains having arrived in the '20s. I am convinced Lee is right.

Guest stuartp

The only thing I can't quite fathom is why the building appears to be newer in the later photo in the link posted by Lee.

Fresh masonary paint or render ?

The 1910 map drawing shown here (bottom of page) My link confirms the track layout.

Very interesting. I was referring to an OS map of 1895. The arrangement was quite different then as the turntable was located on the inside of the yard junction and approximately north of the coal staithes notation '6' on that 1910 map. The layout of the yard had also changed in the interim.

That 1910 map is pretty conclusive and, with apologies for doubting, I now agree it is Dartford.

Very interesting. I was referring to an OS map of 1895. The arrangement was quite different then as the turntable was located on the inside of the yard junction and approximately north of the coal staithes notation '6' on that 1910 map. The layout of the yard had also changed in the interim.

That 1910 map is pretty conclusive and, with apologies for doubting, I now agree it is Dartford.

Yes, looking at the 1:2500 maps on www.old-maps.co.uk, it appears the turntable was relocated sometime between 1897 & 1909 editions. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Huh! I also doubted - and I was SM there in 1979-80! So don't feel too bad!

In the original picture, to the left of the SB, I think I can make out an old-fashioned water-tower in the far distance. I believe that to be West Hill Hospital. On one occasion - before my time there - a young shunter had been chatting up a girl on the platform. He suggested they pop down the sidings, where they could get to know each other better in one of the berthed units. She agreed, and matters took their natural course. Event over, and clothing being re-donned, he noticed fresh needle-marks in her arm, and enquired. "Oh," she said " I'm having a course of treatment at the clap clinic." It is said our hero ran all the way to West Hill Hospital in search of medical assistance pronto!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the help in identifying Dartford, moving I think somewhere up north has anyone got any ideas on this one, i have shown the image both ways round and tried to zoom on the station building. Clues are the river on the one side there were obviously a couple of sidings as you can just see a pre fab goods building on the far edge.

post-5625-035577000 1288252566_thumb.jpg

post-5625-071498300 1288252575_thumb.jpg

post-5625-049943900 1288252587_thumb.jpg

Ash ballast suggests the far north as you say, and looks like more modelling inspiration!

Digressing; when scanning negs on a flatbed, if you have the emulsion side up (silvery effect) the resulting image will be around the right way after scanning.

Interlaced timbering under the pointwork too which is usually associated with the NER but which was used by other companies (I think!), so that isn't necessarily indicative. I have, for the record, not a clue...

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks David and Lee I really appreciate the help and to Chris for explaining how hopefully i will get things the right way round in future.

This one has been scaned emulsion side up but i have again no idea where it was. They all come from a lot of unidentified negs from an auction several years agopost-5625-049965700 1288337569_thumb.jpg

I look forward to your ideas on where it is.

Kind regards

Duncan

• 4 weeks later...

Archived