New unidentified location

Blandford1969

• RMweb Premium

Firstly my thanks to all who helped with identifying the previous photo, which is most appreciated. As promised i have dug out another of my unidentified negatives, with no information on when or where it was taken.

post-5625-062726900 1287902370_thumb.jpg

I do not know if the image is the right way round or not, and in this case the negative is not good enough to be able to zoom in on either the wagon numbers, company sign or sign on the end of the building.

The only clue is it came from a batch that all appeared to be in the north east.

I really look forward to the ideas you all may have

Kind regards

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

I would tjink that this negative IS the wrong way round as the wagon Numbers appear to be on the "wrong" end of the vehicles.

Absolutely no ideas on the location though!

Regards

Ian

I agree the photo is the wrong way round for the same reason.

• RMweb Premium

It's probably around the next corner to Wilsontown..............unsure.gif

Best, Pete

Firslty thanks to Pugsley for kindly reversing the image.

Hi Pete, the negative is from a different source so i don't think it was by the same photographer, most of the others of this one appeared North Eastern, including about 40 over the Stainmore and the original station at Barnard Castle. I beleive they were taken mostly in the very early 1950's.

I did wonder if it was one of the freight only branches in the Barnard Castle area?

Kind regards and thanks for the suggestions so far.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Both probably built by the same local builder for customers (farmers?) with similar requirements. I thought I'd seen pictures of similar houses so checked my vernacular architecture books. The projections at the roof corners (kneelers) are common in vernacular stone houses in the Pennine region of North and West Yorkshire, which may help locate the site. The topography may help; there's clearly a valley behind the foreground house. A pair of bowstrimg girders on the curve at centre suggests a small overbridge.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

I've taken the liberty of reversing and lightening the photo in the OP.

post-6668-008848200 1287924170_thumb.jpg

I've no idea where it is!

The van in the picture looks as if it may be a fish van, going by the light colour and the torpedo vent on the roof.

• RMweb Premium

Brunskill's Illustrated Handbook is the standard handy reference; the two I found useful today were English Farmhouses by R J Brown and Houses in the Landscape by John & Jane Penoyre. I've a whole bunch of others, including Brunskill's Traditional Buildings of Britain, The Traditional Buildings of England by Anthoney Quiney, Farm Buildings by John Woodforde and The National Trust Book of the Farm. The rest are upstairs! I have a lot partly out of interest and partly for work. A colleague does most of our historic building surveys but good references are needed in case I’m needed to do one.

Pete

The house certainly wouldn't be out of place around here in West Yorks. I hope whoever lived in it was a railway enthusiast!

Which vernacular architecture books do you have Pete? I currently have one by R W Brunskill on loan from the library.

Well, that figures.... only from my memory...... and Northern England/Scotland don't figure too highly. No offence meant - not too highly in my memory is what I meant.

I'm trying to get to grips with Miami style at the moment and my poor old brain only holds so much info....

Thanks, Pete.

Have a look here http://www.haggerlea.../history_2.html there is a picture 2/3 of the way down in the now section of the station house.

I'm not so sure that's the same house, unless someone's gone to great lengths in moving the chimneys, but I will admit that it's very close. The plaque on the wall is definitely the same as the mystery one.

Guest stuartp

I'm not so sure that's the same house, unless someone's gone to great lengths in moving the chimneys, but I will admit that it's very close. The plaque on the wall is definitely the same as the mystery one.

If it is Butterknowles it's possible the gables have been rebuilt with the ridge line moved further up and back, leaving the chimney marooned halfway up the front face of the roof. Everything else fits, even the pattern of iron staining on the chimney. On the 'Then' page of that same site there's a pic of an Ivatt 4MT shunting at Butterknowle, there's a large lean-to extension at the rear of the house, the roof could have been extended to cover that.

• RMweb Premium

Have found it on Google Maps. Unfortunately trees obscure the house apart from the roof in Streetview, but following the B6282 to the north east finds the houses on the ridge in the centre and right background. I'd agree that the house has been altered by re-roofing with a wider roof and higher ridge.

If it is Butterknowles it's possible the gables have been rebuilt with the ridge line moved further up and back, leaving the chimney marooned halfway up the front face of the roof. Everything else fits, even the pattern of iron staining on the chimney. On the 'Then' page of that same site there's a pic of an Ivatt 4MT shunting at Butterknowle, there's a large lean-to extension at the rear of the house, the roof could have been extended to cover that.

The slates also change colour where the original ridge would have been.

Archived