New unidentified location

Blandford1969

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Thanks for all your help, I've moved south to I think maybe something on the LBSCR????? (my assumption based on the line on the left having two platform faces for the next one

post-5625-084844600 1288082073_thumb.jpg

It has got me beat so any suggestions would be appreciated

Kind regards

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

There is what looks like a GW horsebox at the far end of the row of wagons on the right. On the extreme right there is a poster for 'Union Castle' that looks typically 1930's. Sorry but I have no idea were it is. (Just click on photo for enlargement.)

• RMweb Gold

Wherever it is, it's before they decided that the third rail should be on the outside.

Or the lengths of rail for relaying even ;)

Its certainly Southern, and the next train towards us is taking the slow/loop to the right of the photo

I think maybe something on the LBSCR????? (my assumption based on the line on the left having two platform faces for the next one

Nothing peculiar to LBSCR - there was a thread recently on the subject and examples given from all over the country.

The Union Castle was a shipping line that sailed its ship from Southampton - it famously went bust in the 1930's but was re-formed before WWII and was taken over not long after.

I would therefore time-limit the photo to pre-nationalisation and post-WWI

Just because the ships sailed from Southampton does not conclude Southern Region - but maybe makes it even more likely.

Could it be Ascot, looking towards Waterloo?

Very similar, but no - too many platforms.

• RMweb Gold

Ok, so how about 1934, when the electrification works were being done? Elec services started Jan 1935, arriving both via the SER main line via Orpington, and via Swanley ex-LCDR. It took another 25 years before the juice extended beyond to Tonbridge and the Channel Ports. We are looking south towards Sevenoaks tunnel, which has the reverse curves you see here on its Northern approach. I think the yard off to the right is now the upside the car park (now numbered 1, of 3 I think?).

I'm with you here Beast66608 & Oldddudders - in the modern shot the pine tree just to the left of the sign looks identical to one of the ones in the period shot. Trees like this don't change in shape a great deal even over long a period of time. The houses that can be seen in the woodland to the right are very similar (what can be seen of them). The S'box in the early shot (click on the image to reveal a much bigger scan) is very much SER in design.

• RMweb Gold

I'm with you here Beast66608 & Oldddudders - in the modern shot the pine tree just to the left of the sign looks identical to one of the ones in the period shot. Trees like this don't change in shape a great deal even over long a period of time. The houses that can be seen in the woodland to the right are very similar (what can be seen of them). The S'box in the early shot (click on the image to reveal a much bigger scan) is very much SER in design.

Yes, the houses on the right were part of the clincher for me - I used to see them every day for 20 years commuting up this line. The overgrowth in front of them has been substantial, even in that time.

• RMweb Premium

Nothing peculiar to LBSCR - there was a thread recently on the subject and examples given from all over the country.

The Union Castle was a shipping line that sailed its ship from Southampton - it famously went bust in the 1930's but was re-formed before WWII and was taken over not long after.

I would therefore time-limit the photo to pre-nationalisation and post-WWI

Just because the ships sailed from Southampton does not conclude Southern Region - but maybe makes it even more likely.

Very similar, but no - too many platforms.

Kenton, many thanks, I keep learning about different companies, Olddudders and Beast66606 looks like from others opinions you've got this one, unless anyone disagrees.

I hope these are prooving interesting as well, here is another one which i think is Southern. Unofrtuntaley the signs are just too out of focus to read, SECR maybe?

post-5625-096856600 1288113522_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Duncan

Kenton, many thanks, I keep learning about different companies, Olddudders and Beast66606 looks like from others opinions you've got this one, unless anyone disagrees.

I hope these are prooving interesting as well, here is another one which i think is Southern. Unofrtuntaley the signs are just too out of focus to read, SECR maybe?

post-5625-096856600 1288113522_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Duncan

I think it's Selham on the Midhurst to Pulborough line...the photo appears back to front.

post-5625-0968566001288113522_thumb.jpg

I wondered if the larger station was Ascot. It has the single line facing two platforms and the area is wooded enough. If I can get may father to look at it he'll know for certain – he lived in Ascot and frequently used the station.

If the photo was taken from a footbridge that would surely rule Ascot out though as it has an underpass.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Lee, PH and Chris for identifying it as Selham, and to the Stationmaster for further confirmation of Sevenoaks

Here is another one, which i think is the right way round, in the background are the ends of some platforms with a water column on the extream right. I think its possibly from the 1930's being a larger neg.

post-5625-044983100 1288162810_thumb.jpg

What do you all think?

Kind regards

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Lee, PH and Chris for identifying it as Selham, and to the Stationmaster for further confirmation of Sevenoaks

Here is another one, which i think is the right way round, in the background are the ends of some platforms with a water column on the extream right. I think its possibly from the 1930's being a larger neg.

post-5625-044983100 1288162810_thumb.jpg

Those are serious buildings in the right background - this is pretty metropolitan. Signalbox steps are intriguing - do you think they were moved when the turntable was introduced to avoid the poor chap falling in the pit? I note your jpeg is titled "southern1" - and if it is Southern, then perhaps Rotherhithe Road or nearby seems a possibility?

Archived