NRM Model Railway weekend 6th & 7th November

LH&JC

• RMweb Gold

Will anyone on RMweb be going to this event?

According to the advert in this month's Model Rail there will be;

Exciting exhibits from Hornby Bachmann & Dapol

O & N gauge layouts from three model associations (Manchester Model Tramway Group, the 16mm Owners & Operators Association & the Alsager Railway Association)

Intricate engineering drawings on display.

And the L&Y signalling school will be in operation, if you haven't seen it I would heartily recommend it. I reckon that it will be worth going to, for free what more do you want? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I went yesterday not knowing what to expect and it was quite enjoyable, Personally I thought the layouts were a bit too spaced out IMO. But it was good to go to a show with only layouts and manufacturers present. Those were not the only layouts present, I didn't manage to get any good snaps of Dapol's, Hornby's, or Bachmann's layout.

post-6756-063033400 1289147798_thumb.jpg

post-6756-041117200 1289147811_thumb.jpg

post-6756-097911800 1289147823_thumb.jpg

post-6756-078586800 1289147859_thumb.jpg

post-6756-024555400 1289147879_thumb.jpg

post-6756-052196500 1289147909_thumb.jpg

post-6756-058042100 1289148173_thumb.jpg

I went today and was fairly disappointed. Admittedly I didn't know what to expect but as a "model railway" event I think it failed quite considerably. All there was were the Big 3 manufacturers and a couple of layouts, in actuality one 7mm, one 16mm live steam and a large scale tram layout.

If the intention was to show the link between the prototype and the hobby, then it failed miserably. Where were the demonstrations to show how people model? How were the general public meant to make the link? Respect to the (non-manufacturers) layouts that were there but how were they supposed to represent what newcomers to the hobby could achieve?

What it needed were things like the "Shake The Box" layout and some demonstrators. Something to show those with a bit of interest how to get started. With Christmas coming up, I think this was a seriously missed opportunity.

steve

I went today and was fairly disappointed. Admittedly I didn't know what to expect but as a "model railway" event I think it failed quite considerably. All there was were the Big 3 manufacturers and a couple of layouts, in actuality one 7mm, one 16mm live steam and a large scale tram layout.

If the intention was to show the link between the prototype and the hobby, then it failed miserably. Where were the demonstrations to show how people model? How were the general public meant to make the link? Respect to the (non-manufacturers) layouts that were there but how were they supposed to represent what newcomers to the hobby could achieve?

What it needed were things like the "Shake The Box" layout and some demonstrators. Something to show those with a bit of interest how to get started. With Christmas coming up, I think this was a seriously missed opportunity.

steve

Yep, I went yesterday and was quite dissapointed, could have done with more layouts and maybe a few traders, first time I've seen Welham Green in the flesh, and considering its a bit smaller than mine, I was in awe at the level of detail on it biggrin.gif

The O gauge one was good aswell, nice size and good levels of stock going through.

Ste

I was on one of the layouts for most of the weekend and I reckon that the NRM missed a trick. On Saturday there were times when the public were 2 and occasionally 3 deep all round the layout and when I was on "public" duty I was asked many times about the models, how they were built and how it all runs.

Maybe if NRM do something similar again, they should have more layouts and some demonstrators. There was certainly the interest there.

Kev

We took a layout there 5 years ago, along with a couple of others in support of a "Cab it" event. At the time I felt the site certainly has potential to support a good show (and without the pointless whinging that followed a recent event at another Roundhouse), but the obvious stumbling point is whether they would be allowed to charge an admission fee to offset the cost of bringing exhibits in.

298, we cannot charge for entry to the museum. Access to the National Collection has to remain free unless things change I'm afraid, which means that the pot for expenses is limited as we found at Shildon a few years ago.

Is there any donation boxes around the museum, or are these not allowed? I can't remember seeing any the other day.

Ste :)

Hi Ste, there are, and we are making provision for donations at the entrances with the option of Gift Aiding those donations. I love the place being free, but it does limit what we can do, so any support is welcome (and no, it doesn't ALL go on Scotsman, despite what many folks would have you believe :lol: )

In the meantime, there are two modelling events already in the calendar for Locomotion at Shildon, one of them with a new twist for 2011.

Thanks for your support!

The museum has the potential to host one of the biggest exhibitions in the North of England. Yes the main issue is costs and expenses though this could be balanced with charging out trade space. I support many of the events at Shildon attending with one of our layouts and group society stand, which are always a great success. I'm sure the museum will make sufficent revenue in shop and cafe areas to justify the larger event.

If you need support at York Anthony give us a shout!

There's a number of modellers with exhibition layouts, and able demonstrators, who are resident within a short distance of York, plus those actually in the city. I'm sure that some of them could be persuaded to exhibit/demo at the NRM for cost of being fed & watered.

steve

Archived