The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Titanic II

LH&JC

• RMweb Gold

You'd think that the 1 thing that couldn't have a sequel is the story of Titanic, well not anymore!

One of the things that amuses/baffles/irritates me about it is that would anyone want to build a Titanic II, mariners are a superstitious bunch and naming a ship after Titanic must be a bad omen. I don't mind films having artistic license, but a tsunami at 800mph? The USS Titanic II, isn't USS only used for naval vessels? Unless it uses gas turbines how do they explode in a fireball? If nothing else it seems to have very little respect for the lives lost in the sinking and in the construction of Titanic. You have to feel sorry for the Queen Mary, being used as a film set for often doomed ships.

It looks and sounds so bad that it will probably be worth watching, as a comedy rather than a 'serious' film, I actually want to watch it too see if it is as bad as the advert and the ever relaible Wikipedia suggest. If only it had stayed in the ayslum, ba boom! B)

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Titanic_II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f720MNvOeVc

Ghastly.

Plenty more to dish on this travesty at imdb.com, including the USS versus SS reference.

Were there an 800mph tsunami flinging ice bergs around, I can't imagine the damage it must have also done to North Atlantic coastal cities like New York or Lisbon, take your pick. Of course we know that tsunamis in the deep ocean are almost imperceptible (floating things bob up and down on them) - except in the movies!

If this was actually released in 2010, it must have gone straight to DVD. I don't recall it running in theatres. Given its 2 (out of 10) rating in imdb, it wouldn't have lasted long.

Pointlessly, I'm struggling with the whole hydrodynamics of the premise.

During the voyage, effects of an underwater earthquake force an island of ice in the Arctic to collapse, and creates a disastrous tsunami that sends an iceberg crashing into the Titanic II, crushing the entire starboard side of the ship and putting immense pressure on the liner's turbines...

Wouldn't the same tsunami (suspending disbelief of course that it could actually be a surface wave in the deep ocean) that moved an iceberg also move the ship by the same amount?

Titanic II begins her voyage in the United States and is scheduled to finish in the United Kingdom, whereas the original Titanic did the trip the other way round).

Except that it started in France, before stopping off at Southampton and Cork to pick up passengers. Wikipedia strike again....

And if it's gas turbine powered, it isn't a steam ship and won't be called "SS Titanic II". "MV Titanic II" maybe...

SOunds like the usual straight to video rubbish that the American's excel at.

Where it says The Asylum presents at the start of the video is the clue to how they could make this film, if you have a rubbish film script take it to them and they'll probably make it infact pretty much all they make is total rubbish, they made Snakes on a train. :D

Except that it started in France, before stopping off at Southampton and Cork to pick up passengers. Wikipedia strike again....

And if it's gas turbine powered, it isn't a steam ship and won't be called "SS Titanic II". "MV Titanic II" maybe...

SOunds like the usual straight to video rubbish that the American's excel at.

The voyage started in Southampton. From there it sailed to Cherbourg and then onto Queenstown.

A Tsunami that travels faster than the speed of sound. Oh please...

Ah, but not faster than the speed of sound in water. I was always crap at wave mechanics, but subjectively in a large enough body of water a travelling wavefront could initially propagate at near the speed of sound in water. Fortunately the oceans are way too shallow to permit this. If you had a water sphere the size of the earth it would be a different story.

• RMweb Gold

One of the things that amuses/baffles/irritates me about it is that would anyone want to build a Titanic II, mariners are a superstitious bunch and naming a ship after Titanic must be a bad omen.

Like the also ill-fated MV Titanic

Not only is a bad omen, you also need to convince the coastguard you're serious when you tell them you're on the Titanic and it's sinking!

Guest dilbert

I really don't feel like taking a look :blink: - do they add another funnel to the Queen Mary to give the 4th one Titanic had?

I liked the Futurama spoof of Titanic - and I'm convinced the Dr Who version was a copy of the Futurama one :lol:

I thought the Dr Who version was excellent - IIRC there were some spoof references to a Star Wars episode (or was it a Wallace and Grommit film ?) ...dilbert

The voyage started in Southampton. From there it sailed to Cherbourg and then onto Queenstown.

My mistake then - I'd assumed it had started in France, rather than zigzagging across the channel. There's a fantastic series of photos taken on the early part of the voyage by an Irish priest who got off at Cork.

I really don't feel like taking a look :blink: - do they add another funnel to the Queen Mary to give the 4th one Titanic had?

No. The ship gains and loses a funnel throughout the film! :D

They also change colour!

Quite enjoyed this film in a sort of 'so bad, it's good' way. You have to ignore the non-science, improbabilities and impossibilities! For instance, It would appear that she is the only ship in the North Atlantic at the time, apart from a US warship, which apparently is immune to tsunami and that she can turn on a sixpence despite her size. (Otherwise, she would have been hit on the port side!)

The script appears to have been lifted from 'The Poseiden Adventure'

The "SS Great Eastern" actually could do that, but I doubt if properller driven ocean liner could!

Not even Brunel's masterpiece would have been able to turn that quickly at 'Full forward'. Titanic II had just been ordered to this speed (in her case 50 knots!) in an attempt to escape the tsunami.

Archived