Too many projects, the danger of looking in the scrap box.

post-6220-043969300 1289508197_thumb.jpg

Oh dear whilst looking in the scrap box for something else I found the parts to make these two and in a moment of weakness I started to day dream.......

There could not have been anything of interest on the telly.

All spare parts from various shows Club sales,

1. Re wheel a K's LSWR Beattie Kit to make a small wheel goods or luggage engine version, thats 'mixed traffic' to you modern modellers of the 20th century.
  2. An old brass chassis for motorising the Airfix Pug kit, and some second hand Romford 16mm wheels under an old Triang/Hornby body. And a boiler from an Airfix/Hornby 14xx 0-4-2t.

It would make a nice little light railway engine perhaps?

These two could be motorised with something from the High Level range of gear boxes perhaps. They both have the old fashioned thick brass walled chassis' with only about 9.5 mm between the frames to get a mechanism in.

• RMweb Premium

I find I get to a point, put it to one side for a moment and then (never?) seem to go back... or then sporadically pick it up until the point it needs another part.

The flat is filled with half-built houses, coaches and even some basic wagons, dont always manage to get to the finished stage!

Now that reminds me, I need to buy another kit coach!

to be succinct - yes.

If this thread was started as a result of "kit-acquisition-guilt syndrome", then think of them as territorial markers around the man-room/space/activity-bunker/shed/loft/garage/aircraft hanger. If anyone asks its more civilised than urinating all over the place. If the thread was as a result of "Barry "the Loan" Sterling"/American Excess/Northern Rock/George Osbourne requesting you cough up then I'm sure there are plenty of afflictees around here who will help you lighten the kit load and thereby reduce your debt ..... though if you make kits and are just taunting us with the size of your collection (stock) we may take a dim view.

They are all spares parts or broken kits I have bought at swap meets or club show 2nd hand sales stalls. Always as cheepies,

I see something and think 'I could convert that into a...........'.

Some kind of manic mental weakness that combined with poor planning skills means as I never have realistic expectations of how long things will take and how much effort they will need to actually do.

Or 'optimism triumphs over experience' and leads to minor disappointment.

Or to quote Churchill 'Success is going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm' .

Another side to this is the 'never throw anything away' syndrome. It's really evident when the volume of 'not thrown away' exceeds that of 'built' plus 'partially built' plus 'not started'.

Trouble is you have to find somewhere to squirrel it away out of the consciousness of SWMBO.

My hands up! And for anyone hoping that advancing years brings a more sensible approach - think again! As the pressure on domestic budgets ease slightly in later life as family commitments tend to reduce there comes more of an appreciation of the fragile state of a lot of the cottage industries we rely on. This induces a 'better buy it now while its still available' mentality which, in my case at least, means over half of what I've bought is never used and eventually sold on to some other unsuspecting git suffering from the same syndrome! I wonder what proportion of all kits sold end up being recycled in this way?

Bill

I have finally decided to clear out my kit project boxes.

After a real struggle to rescue a Nucast V2 which came out rather badly I have decided enough is enough and loads and loads are going up on Ebay over the next few weeks.

I really enjoy kit building and I will keep the best ones, but after an exhibition this week, I have found that having a backlog of projects actually makes me stressed - and talking to other modellers at the show I found similar views

I have done a time audit, and, given my age, I have found that I don't have enough lifetimes for the endless projects I have accumulated.

A few quality models is all I'll ever need and perhaps I'll enjoy the hobby now that the junk is finally going.

:rolleyes:

Jack

... I have found that having a backlog of projects actually makes me stressed - and talking to other modellers at the show I found similar views

Yep, I hate having unfinished stuff in the back of my mind - makes me feel guilty about the time and money invested and left in limbo.

That said, with my modelling output having dropped like a stone since the Autumn, I think I've enough stuff on the books either just started or awaiting its turn to see me through the whole of next year.

On the plus side, that fact should make it a cheap year :)

Hi

I found the answer to all those pending and unfinished wagon kits I had built up over a long period of time.

In a mad half hour I cut them all up into smallish peices, slapped steel coloured paint over them and then quickly dry brushed them with various shades of rust, glued them into a rake of rusty 16 ton mineral wagons and leave them standing in a siding.

They look pretty good, and now I can start some new projects. This time I promised myself that I will not buy any kits until I have completed the last purchase (and I must stick to it or I will have to build some more 16 ton mineral wagons, or maybe 24 tonners).

Cheers

bob

It's still not safe to look, I had managed to put the above bits away, safely back into their box and out of site and stop thinking about them.

I got the planning part of my mind back to the problems of current projects.

Then whilst looking at old Model Railway Constructors I saw a picture of an Airfix City of Truro and started to think what I could do with my old none working one

now that there is the much better and working Bachmann / National Railway Museum model available.

post-6220-068299800 1290630345_thumb.jpeg

Compare with this picture from wikipedia

post-6220-012877900 1290630366_thumb.jpgen.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Railways_B_class

Archived