St. Davids , turntable update.

two tone green

Its very easy to build with very few parts to it. The most parts make up the cabin, 5 parts with the chassis being one large moulding and the blade of the plough being another one piece part. That leaves the inner chassis that takes the wheels.

The wheels and axles are the only extras you need to buy and the come from Slaters. The reference numbers being supplied in the kit. I ordered mine yesterday, they arrived today.

There is brass wire in the kit for handrails and a nice etch to make up the rear canopy as well as some other small parts.

The cabin is slightly 'distorted' due to the fit of the roof so some filing and fitting is needed. But other than that it takes all of 15 minutes to build it other than adding the handrails and small part.

• 1 month later...

Well its been a few weeks since Telford but I thought I would add two photos of two very nice additions to the layout. Been a tad busy over the past few weeks so have only just got around to going near the railway.

So, first off this rather nice block bell which will be incorporated into the signalling system and provide all the bell sounds rather than using .WAV files within RR&Co TC.

It needs a bit of TLC but its all there and does work. Nice sound !

post-6682-0-98146400-1443193539_thumb.jpg

And then there is rather splendid Diesel Shed by Intentio and features in other threads on here. Great kit, easy to build and the results so far are looking good. I need to get it painted up as I cannot fit the windows etc as some of the framework shows through the windows. Highly recommended.

post-6682-0-23687300-1443193554_thumb.jpg

And yes, its sat on top of a section of track and will be dropped down into place later. In fact it may not even be positioned there as I am still deciding what the final track layout will be around the turntable.

Just sent of my basic design / floor plan to Intentio for the engine shed that is needed on St. Davids.

I have supplied the basic dimensions but am leaving up to them for the design of the BR style steam shed.

Really looking forward to getting some feed back as it will add so much character to the layout and enable me to finalise the track positioning for the engine shed area.

The diesel servicing shed shown above now has a nice coat or primer. Looks good already !

A photo to show what is happening with the diesel servicing shed although its got a Black 5 in it at the moment.

Its not on its base and the side glazing units are only pushed in and need fixed properly.

One thing the photo does show is the breakout of two of the tabs that hold the side walls in the frames. The outer edges are very very very thin and my fingers slipped on the smooth MDF and bent things a bit which caused the tabs to break out of the slots. I did try to fix it but its not a very good fix. Concrete cancer is my excuse for having rough bits on the frames.

But its looking good me thinks. I need to finish the painting so I can fix on the side and roof glazing units.

post-6682-0-71110100-1443366345_thumb.jpg

A photo to show what is happening with the diesel servicing shed although its got a Black 5 in it at the moment.

Its not on its base and the side glazing units are only pushed in and need fixed properly.

One thing the photo does show is the breakout of two of the tabs that hold the side walls in the frames. The outer edges are very very very thin and my fingers slipped on the smooth MDF and bent things a bit which caused the tabs to break out of the slots. I did try to fix it but its not a very good fix. Concrete cancer is my excuse for having rough bits on the frames.

But its looking good me thinks. I need to finish the painting so I can fix on the side and roof glazing units.

Cracking Job Andy.

If the MDF breaks out, I fill with milliput and file/sand back. Use fine sandpaper though or the MDF will sprout hairs. :)

I am learning a lot from building the shed about the plus and negative sides of MDF.

Its the first time I have had a go at painting any used for modelling purposes and generally I am pleased. It does seem to soak up paint in some parts and sit on top on others giving different finishes but it adds character the building.

I have juts about finished painting the framework so by allowing me to fix the side wall glazing. A bit unsure which fixing agent would be best but moving towards using Glue 'n' Glaze or the slightly fast setting Super 'Phatic which I used to stick the building together. Both are PVA based adhesives and I suspect both will work well. This is a next weekend job once I am home again and the paint has dried out completely.  

Can someone please put a date as to when the shed I am building first appeared on the network.

Reason I ask is I want to add interior lights and was wondering what would have been used.

Fluorescent lighting seems to fit within the time frame I have in mind, mid sixties' ish ? Yes, no, later , earlier ?

Usual suspects in the shape of LED's will be used to provide said lighting. I had thought of 'backdating' the shed a bit by using warm while 2mm LED's in shades from the roof to give the dull glow that seemed to inhabit some remote sheds away from the major servicing depots. St. Davids is on the edge of the world well away from Old Oak !

Hi Steve, hope you are recovering well.

Yes, my intentions exactly. Some early / mid 60's signs will hide its true heritage and blend it in nicely.

Once the big two road shed arrives from the same makers it will lose some of its 'influence' on the layout as it will look smaller than its steam rival.

The next phase after the steam shed is to get the steam loco servicing building which will be a combined brick built water tower and coaling facility with one side being a reception area for two 10T coal wagons with the other side being the loco servicing side. These will be accessed via two roads off the 70ft turntable.

The idea is that due to there not being room for a wagon ramp to lift the coal wagons above the tender height the coal wagons will discharge sideways onto a platform and the coal transferred into a large 'bucket' that runs up rails and tips into the tender or bunker of the loco needing servicing.

The bucket will sit below platform level to minimise effort to fill it by the loaders before it goes up the hoist to tender filling level and tips.

Water will be by gravity feed direct from the overhead tank.

The concept seems feasible to me and there is room in the shed area for it to built and installed.

So as you can imagine the diesel servicing shed will really look insignificant compared to the steam servicing facilities.  

• 2 weeks later...

Not long back from the excellent O gauge Carmarthen show and as always I have new toys for the layout.

This time I am very very very happy with the biggest of the new toys I bought today.

Brand new, never been used, boxed Sancheng 4MT, price £695. I am a happy chappy.

I asked twice if the price was right and was even allowed to test run it on the nice test track ideally placed for testing such items.

I had stayed away from the 4MT because some had said it had quartering issues but the test run proved this example to be an excellent runner. Numerous people stooped me to voice their envy of my purchase and I must say if some one had beaten me to it I would have been envious as well.

It really is a very nice model. Usual tings need doing such as lining and numbering etc as well as DCC'ing with sound which should be straight forward.

post-6682-0-36110000-1445697721_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-38577100-1445697726_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-39084600-1445697733_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-08423900-1445697738_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-96852300-1445697743_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-84904000-1445697749_thumb.jpg

Hi Andy....

Good to meet and chat at the show today...

I agree that you've had a gob-smackingly good buy there....myself and several other members of the Swansea club were on the verge of dipping into our pockets at that price when we first saw it at the Swansea show a fortnight ago. It was again on display at the club on Thursday, and even today I was seriously tempted.

I think we were all glad someone snapped it up in the end, simply to take the temptation away.

When I see it on St David's, at least I can say that I held it for a few minutes.

I watched as you ran it around the test track, and it was a perfect runner....silent and smooth.

It's gone to a good home.

I liked the 8F and Black Five, too.

The were Skytrex diesels on offer....more my period, but none of them made me bat an eyelid.

Well maybe one....the one-off, certficated Deltic, Alycidon..it did look nice.

Mind you, I was even more tempted to buy that Gauge 1 Jinty at £550...again brand new and unused, but that would have been silly!

Randall

Not long back from the excellent O gauge Carmarthen show and as always I have new toys for the layout. This time I am very very very happy with the biggest of the new toys I bought today. Brand new, never been used, boxed Sancheng 4MT, price £695. I am a happy chappy. 

SNAP! I bought a 4MT a few weeks ago from my local model shop for a similar price. Mine also runs really well.

Looking forward to seeing images of how you line your model and take it apart to fit the decoder.

So, far I have added a coal load to mine. I have a footplate care and some lining transfers ready.

D.

Archived