Airfix B of B "Biggin Hill"

With a bit of work the Comet chassis fit's. :mellow: So I'll end up with a working model of sorts.

However, I recon this old Airfix body is getting on for 2' too short!!:lol: (As has been pointed out). In hindsight It's honestly not worth bothering with (paper overlays or not) when there are far better kits and RTR out there but thats life. I expect the dimensional erors in the kit is the reason that Branchlines never produced a motorised chassis for it? Mind you, there's nothing to say that the Comet chassis is spot on because it was designed to replace the original Hornby job. On the other hand I don't suppose anyone of sane mind will ever take a ruler to it and it does look like BofB!!:D Why on earth anyone would go to the bother of producing overlays and parts to try and correct it I cant imagine. But it would seem that some one did! Nurse!!!!!:lol:

Still, the joy of the smell of glue and plastic takes me back to my youth (!) so I will persevere nonetheless. Think I'll paint it white.......

p1310004p.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Why on earth anyone would go to the bother of producing overlays and parts to try and correct it I cant imagine. But it would seem that some one did!

I think that they produced those things, John, because way back in the dark days before the new Hornby Bullied locos, the choices were motorise the Airfix kit, or build someone else's kit, or the old Triang-Hornby/Hornby R-T-R job, which also needed some work. I actually inherited a part-built Airfix body from a friend, with the intention of completing the motorising of it, but it's stayed at the bottom of the box, having been eclipsed by a Hornby 'Wilton!'

By the way, no doubt about the Comet product being up to the mark, but if you ever get the chance to buy a Kemilway chassis - jump at it - when that range came out in the 1970s they were decades ahead of their time, in my view, and their Walschaerts valve gear on the 82XXX 2-6-2T is still the best around, IMO.

So, just tell me when you want me to say a few words, and I will happily declare your Airfix Bullied open to the public... :D ;)

By the way, it doesn't look like a Black 5! :P :P

..... Kemilway chassis - jump at it - when that range came out in the 1970s they were decades ahead of their time, in my view, and their Walschaerts valve gear on the 82XXX 2-6-2T is still the best around, IMO.....

Same artwork as used on their Std.4 76xxx chassis kit.

• RMweb Gold

Same artwork as used on their Std.4 76xxx chassis kit.

Oh, I've got one of those tucked away in my 'one day' store, lots of very nice etching (bought when there was little or nothing in the way of smaller Standards on the market so it was somewhat stretching credulity - and got overtaken by events and different layout plans. Even got a couple of original Airfix - i.e not Dapol etc - kits to go with it.

CK. - I have in mind an auction at next years Taunton RMWeb do?? In MHO the best fun date in my diary!! The loco is now up and running (surprisingly well) and I have only to decided on a suitable RMWeb livery!! I've even gone to the trouble to add front valances which the old Airfix kit decided were superfluous!:blink: And, luckily, I have a good supply of roofing lead..

Just bought a Kemilway Manning Wardle K Class and will be posting the build on here in due course,

Regards and hoping for the right kind of snow.;)

Oh, I've got one of those tucked away in my 'one day' store, lots of very nice etching (bought when there was little or nothing in the way of smaller Standards on the market so it was somewhat stretching credulity - and got overtaken by events and different layout plans. Even got a couple of original Airfix - i.e not Dapol etc - kits to go with it.

I built one - VERY nice kit. Of course, having put all the time & effort into my 4MT, a R-T-R one comes along... :(

Mark

Of course, having put all the time & effort into my 4MT, a R-T-R one comes along... :(

I have a half finished one in a drawer and I want to get on and finish it, but Bachmann's loco is a lovely model so it hasn't progressed much further sadly.

All the etchings I have are the 00 version, but I want to see I could convert one to P4 as I've had no luck finding a set of P4 etchings :(

I have three sets of 76XXX etches - the valve gear is absolutely superb! Much better than a large number of kits avaiable today!

Yes, I have three or four sets in a drawer as well. With a bit of work on the expansion links / dieblocks, the whole thing could be made reversible. They are that good.

A truly gruesome thing! There are no front valences included in the kit without which the engine looks very weird!!:blink: So I went to the trouble of bodging some up from some spare plastic. But that's the last adornment this will receive.

p2030002.jpg

The tender is similarly horrid!! I would not recommend motorising an Airfix BofB to my worst enemy!!:rolleyes: Best to buy a proper kit or an RTR methinks,,,

Runs nice mind you.

• 2 weeks later...

Still a bit more to do:

p2170002.jpg

I can't say I'd recommend motorising this Airfix kit quite honestly. I can't exactly put my finger on why I didn't enjoy building it though?, Certainly not anywhere near as satisfying and absorbing as building in brass or whitemetal.

To confirm that I will ask the CAPTAIN whether he would like to auction this model on the day for the benefit of the very excellent and enjoyable RMweb Day in Taunton this year! An absolute must event IMHO!! (Phone and pre-bidding via me as proxy if anyone fancies it who can't attend!:lol: )

It runs very well indeed and is nice and heavy so pulling power is good. If nothing else, the chassis could be re-used!!!!!:D :lol:

• RMweb Gold

I have a half finished one in a drawer and I want to get on and finish it, but Bachmann's loco is a lovely model so it hasn't progressed much further sadly.

All the etchings I have are the 00 version, but I want to see I could convert one to P4 as I've had no luck finding a set of P4 etchings :(

A couple of years ago, Dave Roome (Roomey on here) build me a Standard 3 2-6-2T in P4 from DJH uppers and a Kemilway chassis, with Ultrascale wheels. As a matter of fact I gave it a spin for the first time in ages on 'Matford' earlier today.

I quite agree that the Kemilway Walschaerts valve gear remains the best available today, even if you now have to scour Ebay or secondhand adverts for the frets.

I quite agree that the Kemilway Walschaerts valve gear remains the best available today

It is isn't it?

I'm actually wondering if it would be worth using one of the two part started etches I bought with a Millholme Ivatt 4 I have to build for my dad. I could be way of the mark but the 76XXX and the Ivatt should be very closely related with regards the valve gear...

Some people may think it's a shame to use it in this way but with three sets it would be a shame to not use any of them in some way.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good Met, odd but strangely appealing livery. What do the insignia on it read?

I wonder if the fictional Bulleid 2-8-2 could be bashed out of an Airfix/Dapol kit?

The Nameplate reads 'RMweb" !!:lol:

I suppose you could use this kit to practice the 2-8-2. However I would have though you would be better off using a Hornby body or scratching it from brass sheet.

Archived