Model Rail October 2009

Oldfield_Park

So that I can check i'm ok at posting threads, here's a brief outline of what to find in this months edition.

Newholme - A nice NE region layout based in the 1960s.

Features on Steam era and present-day coal trains

Airbrush 'supertest'

James May's record attempt to Bideford

Masterclass - The J21

An impressive 'N' Class 101, and how to do it

George Dent building a colliery layout

Happisburgh - A short article on this 'O' gauge layout

Plus all the usual fare...

Not a bad one this month. :)

Comparing the new and improved latest RM and Model Rail but sorry not impressed. Model Rail until recently used to be leading the "pack" in my opinion with easy to read and inspiring articles.

But the revamped RM and Hornby magazine now the leaders. Especially RM excellent presentation and photography in this months issue.

Also I know that it's been commented before but the paper quality is very poor and tears easy in Model Rail.

Especially now that the price between them is in the region of 20p.

Got to say I picked up the Hornby Mag at Gatwick and had a good read on the plane, I found it far better than

the recent Model rail mags and may well switch my sub to that when MR runs out soon...

I would have got a Railway Modeller at the same time but it was sold out!

cheers

Keith

Looks like the big announcement that we were going to make in 136 is now going to be in 137. We go to press tomorrow and its still in at present.....

...but can you froth on the new RMweb, or has Andy added an anti-foaming agent?

CHRIS LEIGH

Good to hear, am looking forward to seeing what this announcement is. My bet is still on a steam locomotive 0-6-0 workhorse in 00...(hopefully ex-LNER :lol: )

Looks like the Bachmann Metronet 66 will go back to January 2010 now. More time to tweak the shade of blue....

The announcement of Project Xxxxxxxx IS in the issue that's just gone to press, which leaves just one more announcement for the December-dated issue....

CHRIS LEIGH

Does it realy matter what the paper quality is like, its what is written on it that matters, and i my humble opinion Model Rail has been lacking of late, and now prefer Hornby Mag, BUT i always buy all of them, read, then leave in Doctors/ Dentist/ hospital waiting rooms so others can read and may convert to the hobby.smile.gif

Well ideally Id like the K1 to be done. Thats my favourite steam engine, but being a north eastern man all of 26, and studied history a nice NE region engine would be brilliant rather than pandering to the southern lot. However, the clue was 4 wheels... and Im thinking that 4 wheels on one side, meaning 0-8-0 and the Super-D has already been done, but the better example of a quad-coupled goods is the Q6!! So I'm thinking that it has to be that, given the 04 is already due to be done too. Could be a Q7 but theres more Q6s for people to get.

However, I did really enjoy the article on the J21. That engine is a little gem. Im looking forward to the G5 being featured when the new one is finished soon....

Four wheels, no more, no less. Southern fans will probably be less interested...

This is a firm project, not a request for expressions of interest. Development work is under way.

That's the last clue - the mag should be with you in the next few days, though Goodness knows how subs copies will fare in the postal strikes.

CHRIS LEIGH

Chris, bit tight with the clues!biggrin.gif

Could be anything from a cow on a skateboard to a Ferari!wink.gif

Hopefully MR will drop through the letterbox tomorrow as I have to wait in for a new fridge to be delivered and will give me something to do!

Apart from de frorsting the old one etc!!

Archived