Model Rail October 2009

Oldfield_Park

• RMweb Gold

Interesting - 4 wheels and Southern not interested.

So what didn't the Southern have that everyone else did have? Well they did have collieries and freight traffic so that sort of knocks out anything in that line. However the one thing which comes to mind is water troughs, but they don't have wheels. However sludge tenders working from the water softeners at some water troughs did have wheels and could be redundant tenders with the middle wheelset removed and they were painted black.......hmmm

Blue Pullman ????

Only joking !!!

As a southern modeller - I've been racking my brains as to what ran elsewhere not on "our" bit, had 4 wheels and that was black.

Since just about every black 4-wheeled wagon / NPCCS item could have run regularly on the Southern at some time then I have to say "Railbus" too or perhaps some obscure small steam loco (Pug ?) / diesel shunter (possibly a class 02 / 06 ??)

Personally I'm hoping (in vain) that it's a 4 wheeled ballast hopper such as a Catfish / Mackerel etc which were never seen on the Southern (Dogfish - yes but not the others)

What ever it is - there will be somebody out there who will notice that the 3rd upright on the the 5th vertical rib has been modelled a scale 2mm too wide :angry: - see the Dapol MBA/MCA thread - just had a rant about detractors there !

Southernman46

• RMweb Gold

What about on this forum under, Gwr Sentinel Shunters as the SR was the only one not to have one of these. :icon_what:

As I suggested above - but The Black Rat reckoned it wasn't, and seems to have an inkling of what it might be (but then that could have been a red herring and it really is a Sentinel ;) ).

As I suggested above - but The Black Rat reckoned it wasn't, and seems to have an inkling of what it might be (but then that could have been a red herring and it really is a Sentinel ;) ).

Trying to read too fast and missed what you meaning, and the S word was also missing.

Have a close read of my post, and check the spelling!wink.gif

chortle - I did wonder how we had got this far without the grammar and spellling police taking you to task for Sent v Scent ....

Im still learning railway history and infrastructure but could I summise from your linguistic pun that its anything to do with mail.... or is it male we could go on for ages

... or akin to my avatar ?

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Well, my subs copy has just fallen on the doormat and BlackRat was spot onsmile.gif

Another Dapol commission. Laser scanning of the prototype has already taken place. Well done MR for introducing something differentcool.gif

At this rate, Dapol are going to have to hire more ataff for these commissions.

Or finish some of those already on the go...

I'm assuming its a diesel shunter common to industry from the hint.

What kind of Colliery is being modelled in this issue, Yorkshire or something? Does it use Skaledale/Scenecraft in the same way as Hornby mag's recent one?

Just opened my subscription here today and the answer is a 0-4-0 sentinal shunter... am happy here as Id love to see No. 54 being a former Darlington machine and its the preserved example which would be better for my line that runs today.

Now just need that aforementioned Q6 to take the train that the Sentinal has shunted away!

• RMweb Gold

Am I missing something but there seems to be remarkably little interest being shown in 'Model Rail's great leap into the unknown?

Pleas for industrial locos on here one minute and yet when one arrives (sorry, is promised) very few folk seem to have even noticed let alone said thank you :blink:

A very bold step and one I hope will succeed although the range of livery choice being offered in the poll in the mag seems bewildering - surely 'black, undecorated' would be a good one with a range of transfers on offer? And I like the idea of suggesting other livery variants although I don't think, regrettably, that 'Singapore Waterworks' would be a very commercial choice despite the fact that on a pic I have it looks quite attractive in photographic grey.

All I have to do is find the right excuse to have one in South Wales (not too difficult I'm sure) or go in for a hyper period precise model of the Malmesbury branch, but I certainly want one B)

PS Thank you 'Model Rail'

Am I missing something but there seems to be remarkably little interest being shown in 'Model Rail's great leap into the unknown?

Pleas for industrial locos on here one minute and yet when one arrives (sorry, is promised) very few folk seem to have even noticed let alone said thank you :blink:

I think its a case of waiting to pass judgement till people see something more than pixels or to see said pixels in the magazine. Plus plenty of people are hard at work (or hardly working ;) ). This is a great announcement and hopefully opens the door for RTR industrial locos.

And the announcement/discussion is a bit lost in this thread, 'Model Rail October 2009'. ? Perhaps a 'RTR Industrial Loco Announced' thread topic might raise the temperature.

I have to say that as, over the years, more and more of those locomotives which I built as kits have now become available RTR ? I never imagined my humble Nu Cast Sentinel would be joining them.

Archived