Model Rail October 2009

Oldfield_Park

There is a big investment involved in this project and we believe no magazine in our group has ever taken a step as bold as this in the past. The Sentinel was carefully chosen as a likely candidate for success. The array of liveries shown in the magazine is intended just to give a range of ideas that readers can vote for. We certainly won't be doing ALL those liveries but we need an idea of which ones will be most popular with purchasers for the first batches. This is not a limited edition model but there may be some 'limited edition' liveries done. A plain black 'decal it yourself' version is unlikely.

CHRIS LEIGH

There is a big investment involved in this project and we believe no magazine in our group has ever taken a step as bold as this in the past. The Sentinel was carefully chosen as a likely candidate for success. The array of liveries shown in the magazine is intended just to give a range of ideas that readers can vote for. We certainly won't be doing ALL those liveries but we need an idea of which ones will be most popular with purchasers for the first batches. This is not a limited edition model but there may be some 'limited edition' liveries done. A plain black 'decal it yourself' version is unlikely.

CHRIS LEIGH

Chris, your probably right about no one doing something on this scale. By the sounds of things, the sentinel is going to do better than the Stove R.

The eventual arrival of this RTR Sentinel should depress the prices of the Nu-cast offerings on Ebay!

Personally I would have prefered a model of the later 0-4-0 as preserved in the York NRM, however I'll have to think seriously about getting my mitts on one. Will we have save vouchers from the Mag? :rolleyes: or have "proof of purchase" to get one? Any idea on likely price?

No, you won't need to save vouchers. It will be a straightforward retail item with , probably several batches of different quantities in different liveries. Yes, we do have an idea of price because we had to work out whether it was viable or not and whether we could recover the tooling cost over a realistic quantity of sales. However, I am not at liberty to disclose those details yet and in any case, they may be irrelevant by the time the model is released.

CHRIS LEIGH

Does this mean that we poor uncatered for Southern modellers get something for us next time ?? ;) :P

Good luck with this project - especially with the "3rd rib on the 9th flange is a scale 2mm oversize" brigade. (see the Dapol MBA/MCA thread)

Awesome, a RTR Sentinel, I wasn't expecting that!

One of these will be perfect for my capstan shunting layout, my prefered liveries have been emailed in.

This will be great alongside my scratchbuilt Atkinson Walker (much like a sentinel) but I reckon it'll show up my scratchbuilding laugh.gif

I just hope its going to be easy to fit 3 links to the model.

Mike

Does this mean that we poor uncatered for Southern modellers get something for us next time ?? wink.gif tongue.gif

Good luck with this project - especially with the "3rd rib on the 9th flange is a scale 2mm oversize" brigade. (see the Dapol MBA/MCA thread)

Hasn't the southern region got enough from the mainstream suppliers over the last few years?

Very glad to hear of this, and look forward to all those models of Park Royal ;) I was waiting to see the magazine before passing comment, but my biggest query is answered: *not* a limited edition.

Fingers crossed for a state-of-the-art 4-wheeler/0-4-0 (especially the mechanism), and maybe telling that it's from the manufacturer that developed the LYR Pug back in the mists of time.

How do I order one, when we won't get the November magazine till late December? I may miss out. Will it come in LNER? Are there any details, or is it all in the mag?

What a pleasant suprise from Model Rail. I will definetely buy the magazine when it comes too.

I was going to tackle one of these (Nu-Cast) for my first kit built loco in the new year, but will save my money for a couple of new chassis' instead. (B1 & D49)

Mark biggrin.gif

In OZ

I was hoping/ expecting it to be a diesel Sentinel such as http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/image.php?imgref=3917 although Judith Edge probably does a decent kit.

Not something for me this steam box on wheels but it will suit many a shunting plank im sure and plenty of people like 'critters' so hopefully it'll do well.

I had a look at the October MR in Smiths today, the colliery is much better than Hornby Mags attempt at one but it also shows how these things varied around the country.

I was hoping/ expecting it to be a diesel Sentinel such as http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/image.php?imgref=3917 although Judith Edge probably does a decent kit.

Having built one, I can confirm that yes, it is a decent kit. ;)

A good prototype choice on the part of MR even if it is my least favourite variety of Sentinel (I know, picky of me). I'll be interested to see how slow it can be made to run.

Adam

*Brass is probably a better material for the cab of one of those anyway.

The LMS only had three (but they were the high speed versions) and I will certainly be buying one of these. Even if it doesn't get done in LMS, at least one plain black livery will emerge, weathering is pretty much compulsory and so a re-branding won't be too much of a challenge.

An excellent development and Model Rail deserves all available plaudits for taking the plunge. I hope it gets a share of the profits (and that there are profits) that could encourage and fund further similar developments.

Hasn't the southern region got enough from the mainstream suppliers over the last few years?

Hi - the clue is in the wink at the message end :rolleyes:

Basic human condition - we've had plenty but always want more :D

These limited editions are amazing - the planned Kernow well-tank for example - limited scope for justifying one but I'm sure they will sell like hot cakes. Long may this trend continue !

These limited editions are amazing - the planned Kernow well-tank for example - limited scope for justifying one but I'm sure they will sell like hot cakes. Long may this trend continue !

These aren't limited edition models afaik, just special commisions, slightly different on the batch size and certificate front. The limitation will be sales outlets. It looks like the Heljan/Hattons class 14 will be the first one to market.

• RMweb Gold
I had a look at the October MR in Smiths today, the colliery is much better than Hornby Mags attempt at one but it also shows how these things varied around the country

I wouldn't write the Hornby Magazine colliery layout off, Craig, after all, it is being built by Chris Nevard as his next layout, if I'm not mistaken?

Archived