Railway Modeller Annual 2011

Morphaniel

At the risk of getting merged/moved (again :P) I will run the contents list as a new topic in the RM forum - I have seen the '...2010' topic but can't find the photo mentioned, so am not sure this is the same magazine and I am not sure I should be posting this in the main RM forum - but what's life without a little risk?!

Intriguingly, this new venture does not have the RM/CM house style we all know and love. And there are no adverts (except single full page ads from the sponsors - sorry, the companies that volunteered to put themselves forwards for a good chewing over in the editorial. And, incredibly, the paper quality is superior to the usual RM standard.

And so we have:

• Burcroft - modern image 00 coal industry layout
  • Company profile of PECO (I always wanted to know what the inside of that factory looked like...).
  • Structure modelling by Pete Goss (of Rowland's Castle fame). Worth buying the mag for this alone - 12 pages of excellence!
  • Company profile of Hornby Railways - a few pages shorter than the Peco piece
  • The Pecorama 'Teenagers Bedroom' layout - constructional article
  • Company profile of Bachmann - no favouritism here, tis precisely the length of the Hornby piece
  • Nine Mills revisit - new words, new pictures of this N scale green diesel layout
  • Company profile of Gaugemaster
  • A layout selection from Continental Modeller
  • Company profile of Fleischmann and Roco
  • Several shed building stories (that is shed building of the garden variety... B))
  • Eras and Epochs - a timeline of real railway history illustrated by models. Rather a good idea, well carried out.
  • Review of 2010 in the modelling world
  • A look ahead through 2011 with publication dates and selected shows picked out - followed by taster photos from layouts to be featured in future
  • Layout casebook - unusual (and very small) model layout presentation cases
  • Company profile of Heljan
  • Strachan - Scottish set 00 blue diesel layout
  • Tips for photographing your layouts
  • Crosby Central - modern image 00 layout
  • And finally... a small selection of photos proving modeller's licence may not be as important as we all think...

I picked up one of these from my local model shop a few days ago - I don't recall seeing it in the Smiffies Reading Rooms. Quite impressed with it. The quality is high, the pics superb and the content interesting. It's like an uparket RM without all the adverts. There's a feature with great pics of many of the new releases in 2010 and a bit about photing models.

G.

• RMweb Premium

Quite a nice publication. However there is not a lot of narrative in it, being very much picture orientated. Just sit back and look at the pictures! The article on PECO was interesting but those on Hornby and Bachmann are not very illuminating being little more than a few paragraphs on general history accompanying adverts from the same firm.

• 2 weeks later...

This represents a welcome first from the RM team and is a well presented, quality publication with some excellent photography and good design. The insight into Peco is very interesting, as is the editor's feature on model railway photography. Those company profiles are more like advertorial, but otherwise the content is a very strong mix and the publication represents good value for money. A treat for the winter nights!

Archived