Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Your favourite UK railway structure

• 3 weeks later...

Not remotely glamorous, I'm afraid, just an evocative every day view, and reminder of O2s, and just about remembered A1x, and pre-grouping carriages where one could be guaranteed a whole compartment to oneself. (And probably the whole carriage). I got one last trip on this line, in 1956, not long before closure.

post-489-020641100 1290779457_thumb.jpg

Newport Quay behind my left shoulder, Coppins Bridge round to the right.

PB

That is one terrific photograph! :D

Jim

That is one terrific photograph! :D

Jim

Peter (Bedding), that picture doesn't do it justice as it doesn't show the drawbridge.

But I have read thro this thread and my vote would have to go to Brunel's masterpiece across the Tamar estuary.

Thank you Jim and Paul, for those generous comments.

When I first responded to this thread, I was tempted to nominate Meldon Viaduct on the grounds of its awe-inspiring domination of the skyline. However, personal nostalgia won in the end. I would still make Newport Station, with its East and West viaducts, a modelling choice if ever I had the space.

As regards the lack of drawbridge in the earlier photo, I thought that a less familiar aspect might be of interest.

By way of reminder of the geography:

post-489-0-44954200-1293114948_thumb.jpg

and also to show the north drawbridge, immediately before demolition:

post-489-0-51165700-1293115069_thumb.jpg

post-489-0-35681600-1293115112_thumb.jpg

And a photo of the footpath, from Coppins Bridge through to the Quay:

post-489-0-87605600-1293115291_thumb.jpg

The brickwork is on a smaller scale than the Ouse Valley viaduct.

PB

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Another vote for a viaduct but given my liking of mish-mashed stuff from different eras it had to be this one on the New Street - Duddeston line

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Hill+St,+Birmingham+B5+4,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.481774,-1.878319&spn=0.009474,0.024977&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=52.481924,-1.878468&panoid=IyyY-ec1tZ1nKrmIxVhHkQ&cbp=12,320.31,,0,2.6

Cheers

Jim

Well, it just goes to show what a diverse and interesting lot we all are. Everyone worthy of inclusion, although not sure about the toilet, Ian! Thanks for your fantastic and thoughtful postings. Have a very merry Christmas and a happy new year. Best wishes from Mike J.

Hmm, I can think of several (with a northern bias...)

For ones that I've actually visited:

The Tay/Forth bridges - Forth is the more impressive, Tay has better views.

The portico for Newcastle Central Station, with York also in contention.

For ex-railway structures, how about Hownsgill viaduct just west of Consett (formerly Stanhope & Tyne railway (!!!), now a cycleway) - great structure and even better views.

For ones I have seen photos of/would like to visit

Ribblehead viaduct

Royal Albert Bridge (Plymouth/Saltash).

My favourites also seam to be the most unusual structures.

Whistrop 'Signal box' on the Harrogate to York line certainly ranks high in my favourites if only for the exposed nature of the equipment.

With the current snow conditions here in the North east I am glad I don't have to work this frame.

There are many others like this around the country.

And you thought you didn't have room for another box on your layout!!!

Mike Wiltshire

post-9992-0-69183800-1293200940_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-71852000-1293200978_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-65172500-1293201042_thumb.jpg

Not remotely glamorous, I'm afraid, just an evocative every day view, and reminder of O2s, and just about remembered A1x, and pre-grouping carriages where one could be guaranteed a whole compartment to oneself. (And probably the whole carriage). I got one last trip on this line, in 1956, not long before closure.

post-489-020641100 1290779457_thumb.jpg

Newport Quay behind my left shoulder, Coppins Bridge round to the right.

PB

Now that's my kind of railway structure and location!

• RMweb Gold

The swing bridges at Reedham & Somerleyton on the Broads are probably my favourite rail related structures. A real throwback to the steam era complete with box & semaphore signals!

OVERVIEW3.jpg

It can be a bit tight getting a boat under Somerleyton when the tide is high though!!

CIMG0541.jpg

Tom.

Archived