Your favourite UK railway structure

Other 'highly commendeds' for me would include some of the others already mentioned:

You can't ever rule out the Forth Bridge, or the Royal Albert Bridge, Saltash

Maidenhead Bridge over the Thames (the arches that were supposed to be too long to ever stand up)

Glenfinnan Viaduct because of its setting and curvature

Royal Border Bridge, Berwick

Severn Bridge Junction signalbox, Shrewsbury

The former signalbox at Paddock Wood built over the Hawkhurst branch

Stephenson's tubular bridges at Conway and Menai (the latter especially before the 1970 fire, but it's still pretty good now). This is Conway, with Telford's suspension bridge in the middle

post-6669-076269500 1290420907_thumb.jpg

Chelfham Viaduct on the Lynton & Barnstaple, thankfully restored

post-6669-032548300 1290420928_thumb.jpg

It's only when you do an excercise of this nature you end up thinking "Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that one!" What also intrigues me are the individual stories about why a particular structure is special to you. Thanks everyone and keep 'em coming!

Mike :D

• RMweb Gold

Long gone and I've never seen it but I'm always drawn to photographs of Belah Viaduct on the line between Darlington and Kirkby Stephen East. Nor does it matter what's crossing it; anything from a DMU to a loaded coal train double headed and banked, this success story of the ill fated Thomas Bouch never fails to impress me.

I've stood in the signal box at the end and looked across the gap :(

• RMweb Gold

Far more difficult than picking out a station I think because there is so much variety. Taplow footbridge comes very near the top of my list as does Reading West Main Signal Box (the largest on the GWR) and Severn Bridge Signal Box at Shrewsbury. But if I were going for 'impressive' it would have to be the Severn Tunnel because once you have seen and heard the volume of water moving alongside it from the Great Spring you can only marvel at the skills which built it and have kept it operational, fascinating piece of engineering.

Our great railway stations are testaments to the power and influence of the railway companies which built them. In no particular order, the standouts are:

Glasgow Central

Bristol Temple Meads

York

Newcastle

St Pancras (BEFORE HS1)

Kings Cross

One still with us, in a fashion;

Manchester Central

And one we lost;

Glasgow St Enoch

Matt

So many to choose from aren't there?

Having been to Paddington this morning the wrought iron work of the screens at the country end of the station spring to mind, they still take my breath away even now.

Liskeard station with it's Looe branch platform at ninety degrees to the mainline, and Moorswater Viaduct a little further west.

St Pinnock Viaduct between Liskeard and Bodmin Road (oops, Parkway :rolleyes: ), standing below and looking up it's a very impressive beast.

Bardon Hill Signal Box on the Leicester (Knighton Junction) to Burton-on-Trent line.. nothing spectacular but a favourite spot nonetheless, the scene of much tea drinking and telling of tales, there's always a warm welcome and good banter to be had with the bobbie, whichever shift you're on.

Worcester Tunnel Junction's Up Home bracket signal as you approach from the north... I just love it. The scene of D1055 Western Advocate's untimely demise in 1976, but it gives me a warm glow everytime I pass under it.

Nidge ;)

post-7638-045502700 1290442566_thumb.jpg

post-7638-037522300 1290442661_thumb.jpg

Harringworth Viaduct on the Kettering-Manton line. Not really my favoured company as such but it was local and we paseed under it on numberous trips into the countryside of North Northants and Rutland, the sheer scale of it to me as a 4 or 5 year old probably instilled an interest in rail which has lasted thus far.

Then again, it's got a lot to answer for that bridge!

Lovely photos Rudg1022, atmospheric, especially the ghost in front of the tunnel mouth, and someone thought the Forth bridge was creepy!

Thanks Mike. The ghost....... it's partly the reflection of my enamel tea can in the window, plus a bit of camera shake! (My mate was driving, I was learning the road).

Rangers - good call on Harringworth Viaduct, I passed by that way a couple of weeks ago just as the sun was going down, what a lovely sight it was.

Another favourite bit of railway for me is the turntable area, fuelling shed and Factory at Old Oak... if only these man made objects could talk, what tales they could all tell. I had a text from my brother recently saying the table was on it's way to Swanage on a low loader.... definitely a 'happy sad' moment.

Nidge

(Meant to add these pics to my previous posts... ;) )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/2351449571/in/set-72157594510358068/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/3118275361/in/set-72157594510358068/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/2351434395/in/set-72157594510358068/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/369814144/in/set-72157594510358068/

• RMweb Premium

Local to me is the long disused Great Central bridge over the Trent at Torksey, the line from nowhere ( Sykes Junction ) to nowhere ( Clarborough Junction ) via nowhere just to avoid negoitiating that little bit of extra running power over the GN&GE Joint line to Lincoln. The line closed as a through route in November 1959 due to the "weak condition" of the bridge yet it still stands today!

There's also Clifton Viaduct which carried the LD&EC over the Trent a few miles up stream, a long structure made of blue engineering brick over the flood plain and a standard metal span over the river itself. This was probably the most expensive structure that company had built.

I guess for me a favourite structure, or more particularly favourite structures, would have to be the great McKenzie and Holland signal gantries and bridges of the old North Eastern Railway. They were built as purely functional pieces of equipment, to support the great arrays of signals which the old NER was so addicted to, yet in so doing they built things of quite extraordinary elegance and even beauty.

These things were an integral part of the railway which we came to know and love as kids though we really took no notice of them; it was the loco numbers we were after.

Now almost the last of these amazing structures has been replaced, though it will live on and continue to work on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

So two photographs. The one of the railway place which we discovered as kids in the late 1950's and which is, for me, the abiding memory of those incredible days. The other of the last of these things in January of 2010, still standing proudly over the entrance to Scarborough and now, sadly, gone in the remodelling of this place.

Just an essay in functional design; just simply lovely things and we shall not see their like again.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-054390700 1290458486_thumb.jpg

post-3150-075066000 1290458560_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Now almost the last of these amazing structures has been replaced, though it will live on and continue to work on the North Yorhsire Moors Railway.

So two photographs. The one of the railway place which we discovered as kids in the late 1950's and which is, for me, the abiding memory of those incredible days. The other of the last of these things in January of 2010, still standing proudly over the entrance to Scarborough and now, sadly, gone in the remodelling of this place.

Just an essay in functional design; just simply lovely things and we shall not see their like again.

Cheers

Mike

I agree with your sentiments on this one Mike, and Falsgrave gantry was just 5 mins. walk from my house. At least it has found a new home at Grosmont after refurbishment in Retford. The area looks a little bare now, and if no-ne wants to use the signal box, I wonder how long it will last before it is removed or worse still...demolished.

Guest Max Stafford

My selection (mostly extinct)

1. Kingmoor coaler.

2. Glasgow St. Enoch. (old enough to remember it as the most glorious car park that ever existed!)

3. Big Fleet viaduct.

4. Belah viaduct on the Stainmore line - the nearest thing to a Canadian trestle that we had!

5. Connel bridge - again, quite Canadian in style.

6. Stonehouse viaduct on the Caley's Lanark lines. Cracking over-engineered brick and lattice beast and although long gone, it's time has come again though I doubt post-modern Scotland could afford to build a replacement!

Dave.

Crikey, Nidge! If you also sign this lot in 2010 your route knowledge is truly impressive!

Oh if only Olddudders, if only! I know the Cornish mainline pretty well but my chances of learning it are slim, but I'll be signing South Ruislip to Old Oak soon.

Back on topic.... another favourite bit of railway kit is the old Hump Shunting Signal Box at Bescot, disused and unloved, I'm surprised it's still intact...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/3024051059/in/set-72157606853423254/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/2903889401/in/set-72157606853423254/

Nidge ;)

Archived