Weathering Products

Hi all,

I want to start to weather my diesel locos, I have never weathered anything before so I am a complete beginner.

I have read up on the subject only to find that there is a bewildering choice of products ie: a wide range of manufacturers, weathering powders, paints (acrylic and enamel) airbrushes, drybrushing etc.

I know now that this is a broad subject with some modellers having one preference and others using a couple of methods to acheive the desired results, is one way better than another and more user friendly or do all methods just come down to good old practice?

Any information would much appreciated.

Regards

Michael

Practise makes perfect, but practise on some cheap wagons off fleebay and get a feel for the different types of weathering, I personally use acrylic paints, warhammer citadel washes, Mig, Vallejo and Carr's weathering powers all at different stages of the weathering process, once you've got the feel for it research your desired loco at what time in it's life you want it to look like, a good selection of colour pic's if you can the more the merrier, and remember if you go wrong it doesn't matter really some more weathering and it'll be fine, failing that respray it or someone will by it on fleebay :P

I have read up on the subject only to find that there is a bewildering choice of products ie: a wide range of manufacturers, weathering powders, paints (acrylic and enamel) airbrushes, drybrushing etc.

I know now that this is a broad subject with some modellers having one preference and others using a couple of methods to acheive the desired results, is one way better than another and more user friendly or do all methods just come down to good old practice?

Michael, I can see how this is going to go and I wont bemuse you further by simply adding to the mound of info about materials and techniques that you've already amassed, but I'll chuck this in:

1. No, one way isnt necessarily better than another - otherwise people wouldnt have preferences, we'd all be doing the same. Once you've tried a few things, it's mostly down to what you feel happy with

2. Yes, everything comes down to good old practice - together with the confidence to experiment, the determination to succeed and the discipline to go over things again if they're not right first time. if you dont do these things, you'll never build up the judgment you need to develop an intuitive approach that is your own, and not just following a recipe

If you do fancy some more reading, there's this that I did a while ago, tucked away on the old forum.

Have funwink.gif

• RMweb Gold

In addition to the good advice above just reading through the threads in this area of the forum alone I am sure would help. You could also try this thread for size, although mainly using steam locos as a basis the techniques can equally be applied to diesels.

Guest jim s-w

Hi Michael

Sum up weathering in one tip? Hmmm

Whatever method you decide to use, putting the dirt on aint the important bit. Realistic weathering is all about 'cleaning'

HTH

Jim

There is a Right Track DVD covering the subject where Tim Shackleton shows how he weathers locos as well as rolling stock and even buildings. You might find some very useful tips in there.

There's also an article by him in the new REx, weathering an 08 using american products after he begins worrying that Humbrol's paints may be withdrawn :(

• RMweb Premium

Lots of ways to weather but advised previously get some good colour photos.

Do you want to be able to get back to the original colours? If so steer clear of paint - its unforgiving but a lot of people use this either pour on / wipe off ( a la Ian Futers), wash on, cotton wool bud off etc

Me I stick with Black Rotring or Windsor & Newton Inks washed on - diluted with water and pushed into place with soft foam - then let it dry - add powders and let it continue to weather... But thats my preference and it works for others.

Whichever way you choose - try it on a piece of painted plasticard/ old loco body or wagon _ i can wash teh ink off with jif, water and a toothbrush - helps if you make a mistake on something which a professional painter has just lined for someone else...

Archived