Warehouse

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

I have a corner of my goods yard where there is currently a loading platform with a small office and although the whole area is pretty much out of sight, I feel that it needs something more. As such, I've been thinking about a small low-relief warehouse, once privately owned but now for general goods.

Not having any prototype to go off, I knocked the below up this morning out of the left-overs from a Metcalfe platform kit, to get an idea of size, look, etc. As such, could you kind, knowledgeable people cast a critical eye over it and tell me whether it looks to be about the correct scale, believable, etc?

Please remember that this is just a mock-up with one door added and windows only in the end (didn't want to waste any more). The final version would be constructed in plasticard and be detailed.

Mobileuploads060.jpg

Mobileuploads061.jpg

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

It looks pretty near perfect to me. Size is good, plenty of doors & windows, nice size platform in front.

Only concern might be road access, but that might be hidden around the corner ( I'm imagining large gates in a similar style brick wall).

HTH

Stu

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. Hadn't really thought about access although the platform does have a ramp (in front of the shed).

My only real concern with it is that the windows look a bit too small compared to the doorways - I measured them up against some old cellophane(??) windows I had left over from a building that now no longer exists.

• RMweb Premium

Personally I'd shave off a few millimetres of the bottom, the window sills are quite high compared to the figure. However, my main objection is the location: there's a point slapbang in the middle of the loading dock, effectively reducing it to the far left w/o fouling access from the main. My advice: move it away from the point, either direction would be fine. Furthermore: I'd suggest adding a protruding beam from the top door and depending on your chosen period supply a hoist or put a forklift model on the loadingdock.

Hopefully, I'll be able to source different and larger windows when building the final version. Hoist would be added to the real thing - period modelled is mid 60's.

Yeah, the point is sort of in the way. It's part of a run-round to access the coal yard and as such, very rarely used. The excuse is that the run-round is an after-thought (in a period when the warehouse wasn't used much??). Plus, the warehouse is more there to fill a blank rather than be a prominent item, it would be an arse to have to lift the track and it does add to the operational interest when shunting.

Thanks.

Sandside,

Looking at the windows in the small shed beyond the warehouse, your warehouse windows don't look out of scale or proportion. My slight quibble would be that there is no apparent access to the left-hand side of the building. I would suggest moving the building along say 1/2" and extending the platform backwards, instead of right up against the grass bank.

Dennis

• RMweb Premium

For the size of the warehouse I think you have too many doors. Having that many would seriously reduce the amount of storage space inside. The rest of it looks good.

As such, I've been thinking about a small low-relief warehouse, once privately owned but now for general goods.

In our climate, facilities for General goods were almost always under cover, customers did not like getting their stuff soaked. a shed with an axternal platform like this should have an awning to keep the loading/unloading activities dry, the hoist to the upper floor would then pass through the awning with its own mini awning as some of the Metcalf brewery parts.

Would make it more visually interesting as well.

Regards

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Final version may possibly be two windows wider (e.g. at either edge) although no taller. I'd also raise the window in the 'overhang bit' (technical term there :) ) slightly as it's a bit too low. Need to source some suitable windows now and possibly a mountain of Plasticard.

Hi, Sandy,

I think it would add greatly to the realism if you took the roof up 7/8s of the way and did a bit of the back slope. It doesn't look 'British' to have pent roofs of that size, whereas here in France it is relatively common.

It would give you an opportunity to apply ridge tiles, so that your eye tends to be stopped naturally at a feature instead of zooming over the top.

Have a look at my warehouse and harbour office buildings in the Scalescenes section if I've not made that clear?

Good luck

Doug

I'd also raise the window in the 'overhang bit' (technical term there :) ) slightly as it's a bit too low.

Time to show off, having looked up the name a few weeks ago in regard to parts of a kit I cast for Invertrains, the 'overhang bit' is called a Lucam.

Phil T.

• 3 weeks later...

This all looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't worry about the point being halfway up the loading platform. It's often surprising how cramped some real-life sidings are. My only criticism would be that the lucam is probably a little too long to be cantilevered, so perhaps some H-beam support columns under it? The windows look great, I wouldn't worry about those. Industrial windows tended to have higher than normal sills anyway. The spacing looks "right" and the awnings are a nice touch. Corrugated cladding would probably look nice on the awnings, actually. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Regards,

Scott.

Thanks. Hadn't really thought about access although the platform does have a ramp (in front of the shed).

My only real concern with it is that the windows look a bit too small compared to the doorways - I measured them up against some old cellophane(??) windows I had left over from a building that now no longer exists.

have a look at mill buildings for how large windows often were, the larger the window, the more light it let in, the easier it was to see and didn't have to pay for light during the day!

For the size of the warehouse I think you have too many doors. Having that many would seriously reduce the amount of storage space inside. The rest of it looks good.

personally, i'd have the doors above each other, and the door nearest, leaving the far one as wall or perhaps an obviously no longer used door.

Or this, although possibly somewhat smaller:

Mobileuploads065.jpg

personally, I don't like the enclosed lowering area, but thats perhaps due to having grown up in yorkshire where we weren't as fancy!

I prefer the pent roof to another canopy, perhaps with a wooden gabbling at the end with wooden support beams bracing it against the wall.

but thats just my preference.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

so after 4 months of inactivity, I have finally made a start on the real warehouse (e.g the build in plasticard). I have taken people's advice and opinions into consideration and here is where I currently am.

What has taken ages so far has been adding depth to window sills, etc., but hopefully I am on the right tracks here.

The front and sides as they currently stand

warehouse007.jpg

Closer view of the right hand side

warehouse008.jpg

Hopefully the detail around the windows and doors is okay - it took me long enough!

warehouse009.jpg

I've a long way to go yet but I hope my efforts so far aren't way off. Feedback more than welcome.

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, the point is sort of in the way. It's part of a run-round to access the coal yard and as such, very rarely used. The excuse is that the run-round is an after-thought (in a period when the warehouse wasn't used much??). Plus, the warehouse is more there to fill a blank rather than be a prominent item, it would be an arse to have to lift the track and it does add to the operational interest when shunting.

I wouldn't worry one little bit about the position of the point - plenty of prototype examples of 'not doing things the 'right' (i.e. to some sort of incredibly correct) way and when I first looked at the pics the point position didn't even occur to me as 'wrong' or even unusual.

• RMweb Premium

Bit of an update. Main structure is now finished, walls, etc., painted, first coat on roof and lucam done. Need to go over the roof again, add in the brick courses and then use matt varnish on the lucam as it appears to have come out gloss even though the paint I used was apparently matt. I then need to add drainpipes, etc.

I'm quite happy with how it has turned out though. Apologies for the photos, as per usual, taken with my iPhone:

warehouse010.jpg

warehouse011.jpg

Archived