The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

I pity the poor staff who have to work the late trains off Euston on that day as both teams come from the same area... At least a normally timed kick off would have allowed the fans to spread themselves over more trains... Very poor planning by the FA, TV driven no doubt...

JOB DONE !

That was quite interesting. I see that Cardiff has needed quite a bit of financial input from Malaysia (to say nothing of the dodgy betting that country's famous for).

Elsewhere, will Blackburn escape the drop (again)?

Edited by Horsetan

Whatever happened to 3:00pm on a Saturday ?

Whatever happened to 'traditional' semi-finals at Villa Park, Hillsborough etc. ?

Brian R

The short answer is money. The FA owns Wembley and its not getting the use (read revenue) they expected. A semi at Villa costs the FA as they pay the club for the use of the ground. A semi at Wembley offsets their operating costs and generates more revenue.

In the old days the FA could count on a large number of concerts to offset the stadium's costs. These days venues like the O2 and more festival style events have changed all that. Its more economic for a promoter to put a big name into the O2 for 3 or 4 nights than 1 day at Wembley. It also removes the weather as a factor for the concert.

The Emirates and now the Olympic stadium will erode that revenue stream even more.

• Like 1

Money is the simple answer. Football has become less fan based since Sky, the premier league and the origional Sky 4. it ids all about sponsorship and TV money and the fans are a bit of an afterthought.

the cup final is at 5.15 for TV audiences to improve advertising revenue, and the hell with the fans who won't be able to get a train home.

as a fan of a club who is poor, and an ownere with less cash than your average kitten, I still have some pride, but to be able to  compete now, you have to sell your soul to the highest bidder, sponsor your ground, and in cardiffs case, change your colours.

but people still go. until fans start walking away from the game, they will always be last on the list of things to think about.

• Like 2

but people still go. until fans start walking away from the game, they will always be last on the list of things to think about.

Pretty much true, but change is starting to happen albeit on a small scale with the likes of AFC Wimbledon and FC United, football for the fans by the fans.....

Will it ever change at the elite level, probably not in this country, but you've only got to look at the Bundesliga for what it should be like....

However we have the FA in charge and the old saying about breweries and having a drink or two come into play.

Who was the last English top flight player to move to a foreign club to better themselves whilst in their prime.

It's a very shortlist and depends on the definition of "bettering" - if it means winning things abroad the answer might be Steve McManaman.

• Like 1

Personally I reckon he's gone...............Nothing more than rumour and gut feeling. The general gist of it being that he's past his best (yeah even at 27 or whatever) and it's time to cash in whilst he'd still command a good fee.

For my money, it's never sat well with me that he's a supposed United Legend various reasons and no I've never much liked him but he was 'our****' when he's gone he'll just be a ****. I'd say he's not been forgiven by the majority of the fans for the shenanigans of the transfer request, think about it Fergie went out of his way then to keep him as he was useful to him, but let's be honest there is only one winner if you cross Fergie....

There are numerous rumours that he's not overly popular in the dressing room (various reasons) and the fact that he's no longer the 'main man' won't go down well with him, so yeah I can see him being off, where to, dunno, believe it or not there was an interesting rumour about some linkage with Barcelona last year, can't see that myself, PSG well they've got the cash, other than that this country, well Ciy's interest has cooled from the last time, Chelsea, dunno.

Replacement, well to a degree he's already there, that's amongst the reason RVP was bought, him and Kagawa as the no 10, but and I really don't know how much of it is true and just wishful thinking a  return for a certain CR7 is possible as he's still highly thought off within the club and more importantly he has the same thoughts about the club and staff, his agent though would prefer a move to PSG, the amusing phrase I heard was 'he know's he's rich so he's not that bothered about money' like I say Mendes would prefer PSG for him if he goes anywhere.

Safe to say bye bye to Nani, Anderson, Fletcher (no chance of returning with the chronic illness) and the ginger prince (again), personally I'd add Young (never a United player) and Valencia.

Red Devil News at Ten Old Trafford  :sungum:

• Like 2

It's a very shortlist and depends on the definition of "bettering" - if it means winning things abroad the answer might be Steve McManaman.

Ronaldo, the good one not the Brazilian one.

Class at United, world Superstar at Real Madrid.

• RMweb Gold

Personally I reckon he's gone...............Nothing more than rumour and gut feeling. The general gist of it being that he's past his best (yeah even at 27 or whatever) and it's time to cash in whilst he'd still command a good fee.

For my money, it's never sat well with me that he's a supposed United Legend various reasons and no I've never much liked him but he was 'our****' when he's gone he'll just be a ****. I'd say he's not been forgiven by the majority of the fans for the shenanigans of the transfer request, think about it Fergie went out of his way then to keep him as he was useful to him, but let's be honest there is only one winner if you cross Fergie....

There are numerous rumours that he's not overly popular in the dressing room (various reasons) and the fact that he's no longer the 'main man' won't go down well with him, so yeah I can see him being off, where to, dunno, believe it or not there was an interesting rumour about some linkage with Barcelona last year, can't see that myself, PSG well they've got the cash, other than that this country, well Ciy's interest has cooled from the last time, Chelsea, dunno.

Replacement, well to a degree he's already there, that's amongst the reason RVP was bought, him and Kagawa as the no 10, but and I really don't know how much of it is true and just wishful thinking a  return for a certain CR7 is possible as he's still highly thought off within the club and more importantly he has the same thoughts about the club and staff, his agent though would prefer a move to PSG, the amusing phrase I heard was 'he know's he's rich so he's not that bothered about money' like I say Mendes would prefer PSG for him if he goes anywhere.

Safe to say bye bye to Nani, Anderson, Fletcher (no chance of returning with the chronic illness) and the ginger prince (again), personally I'd add Young (never a United player) and Valencia.

Red Devil News at Ten Old Trafford  :sungum:

Good post, cheers.

Although you could make a case for David Platt and his time in Italy, other than that Waddle at Marseilles, Lineker did 'ok' at Barca, Wilkins and Hateley at Milan, don't think Beckham did better at Real than he did at United, hard to beat a treble, similarly Owen.

Interesting thoughts on Rooney, I thinks he's gone too and if someone will pay silly money let them. I have the same thought about Suarez if the offer is right sell him! Better hope the Glazers don't cream off the transfer cash to pay off some other part of their business though!

Mark

Interesting thoughts on Rooney, I thinks he's gone too and if someone will pay silly money let them. I have the same thought about Suarez if the offer is right sell him! Better hope the Glazers don't cream off the transfer cash to pay off some other part of their business though!

Mark

Reckon Suarez'll be off to Bayern, regarding the Glazers, much as it pains me to say it and I 'm still on a boycott, Utd are in a much better financial position now than they were 2 years ago, the sheer amount of commercial revenues that they have extracted from sponsorship is mind boggling, the GM deal is bonkers, so then they bought out DHL as training kit sponsors so AON could replace them for more money.......I think we even have an official potato chips partner.....and we now have a sponsored training ground, god knows what they'd get if they ever tried to re name Old Trafford? The kit deal is up for renewal, methinks Nike will be writing an even bigger cheque than last time if they want to keep it. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Difference between Suarez and Rooney is that Rooney isn't the first choice, must play striker that Suarez is. Liverpool would be stuffed without the angry chipmunk, united would only notice shrek was gone when his next film came out.

• Like 1

I don't think Liverpool could afford to turn down a huge offer for Suarez no matter how important to the team he is. No doubt United is hugely successful financially but it's the rest of the Glaziers portfolio that a few years ago according to the BBC and a few others didn't look so rosy. There is no doubt though United don't have to sell him for the money and if I suggested they did it wasn't my intention. But like Red Devil said you don't cross Fergie and get away with it. If the offer is good Rooney will go!

Mark

Edit forgot to mention going to watch proper football later fleetwood v chesterfield!

Edited by reevesthecat