The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Not so sure about Moyes, RD... I may be proved wrong, but I don't think he's the best for you... More to the point, however, is whether Fergie can keep his nose out now he's gone... Too many ex managers who went on to become directors have spoiled it for the new managers by becoming more involved than they should be... Interesting times ahead!

Congrats to Fergie on his retirement, I suspect every team in the world wished they had had a manager like him in charge!

Edited by Hobby

Apart from Fergie's retirement being a major story on last night's 10 o'clock news, the BBC followed it with a 40 minute special Football Focus programme dedicated to this news.

During this I briefly switched to BBC 2's Newsnight to find that it was one of their main featured stories for the night.

Over to CNN and there was a feature on the story running at the same time.

Same on the Bloomberg business news channel, France 24, EuroNews and Al Jazeera, who were all running this story.

Looking online, the New York Times have covered the story with several articles in the last 24 hours.

Le Monde and Le Figaro in France, El pais and El Mundo in Spain as well as most of the leading international newspapers are prominently running news stories and articles.

All this in addition to the story dominating yesterday's and today's sports news here at home.

I struggle to think of any football manager to have ever attracted this amount of worldwide media attention. Even the antics of "the chosen one" don't come close on the global stage.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Remember when football news wasnt a circus? And it wasnt a driving factor for media to be first with announcements. Think they would still be better off commentating.

I would have liked to have heard nothing of any of this news until it was done formally via the clubs involved.

Cant say im that enamoured with how Mr Moyes has let his contract rundown, no compo for Everton.

Not sure who I would like to see in the dugout next season... lets just hope Bill Kenwright has been doing his homework

Ian

Not Moyes' fault. Kenwright should have put him on a rolling contract not fixed-term.

It was well-known years ago that Moyes was Fergie's preferred successor. I was just not sure that the Glazers would back that.

How long till Jagielka and Baines are MU players?

• RMweb Gold

Apart from Fergie's retirement being a major story on last night's 10 o'clock news, the BBC followed it with a 40 minute special Football Focus programme dedicated to this news.

During this I briefly switched to BBC 2's Newsnight to find that it was one of their main featured stories for the night.

Over to CNN and there was a feature on the story running at the same time.

Same on the Bloomberg business news channel, France 24, EuroNews and Al Jazeera, who were all running this story.

Looking online, the New York Times have covered the story with several articles in the last 24 hours.

Le Monde and Le Figaro in France, El pais and El Mundo in Spain as well as most of the leading international newspapers are prominently running news stories and articles.

All this in addition to the story dominating yesterday's and today's sports news here at home.

I struggle to think of any football manager to have ever attracted this amount of worldwide media attention. Even the antics of "the chosen one" don't come close on the global stage.

A great team manager. But what a load of tosh in the papers about him making Man Utd world-famous. It was Busby that did that. And the commercial success is due to others as well.

• Like 2

Not Moyes' fault. Kenwright should have put him on a rolling contract not fixed-term.

It was well-known years ago that Moyes was Fergie's preferred successor. I was just not sure that the Glazers would back that.

How long till Jagielka and Baines are MU players?

Jagielka , nah, don't see it, centre half is one position where we're pretty well covered, Ferdinand might be coming to the end, but Vidic, Evans, Smalling, Jones are all better or will be......

i'D take Baines, but even then would prefer a different option.

Fellaini though would be a different story...........

A great team manager. But what a load of tosh in the papers about him making Man Utd world-famous. It was Busby that did that. And the commercial success is due to others as well.

Er, depends what you mean by world famous, yeah Busby started it but Ferguson took it to a different level, commercial success can only come on the back of playing success and SAF certainly built on the foundations that Busby laid, it's a different world now though than when Busby was managing so you're going to see a different reaction.

Jagielka , nah, don't see it, centre half is one position where we're pretty well covered, Ferdinand might be coming to the end, but Vidic, Evans, Smalling, Jones are all better or will be......

i'D take Baines, but even then would prefer a different option.

Jagielka is 31 yrs old in a few months time. Almost as old as Utd's 3 ageing back line stalwarts....

Evra - 32 yrs old next week (...and hopefully finished by the look of this seasons performances)

Ferdinand - 35 yrs old this November (...and despite a brilliant season, surely can't have much gas left in the tank?)

Vidic - 32 yrs old in October (...and beginning to suffer from the aches and pains of his no-prisoners, total commitment style)

Baines (29 yrs old at the end of this year) has been in terrific form and may have a few more good seasons ahead of him.

A suitable experienced replacement for Evra?

....or would young Buttner be given the responsibility?

Everton will want top dollar for him if he goes.

Fellaini though would be a different story...........

The only stand out candidate really.

One thing not on his [sAF] cv is back to back European cups like Cloughie did back before the Premier League et al.

Yeah, but a different game then, where Fergie managed to be successful in four decades as a manager winning major trophies and breaking the Glasgow dominance in Scotland and having to change his managerial style somewhat over the years whilst assembling several great and some nearly great sides over the years, Cloughie had a decent run on and off for 15-20 years, whilst Cloughie was good Fergie was better. 13 (16 if you count Scottish) 2 > 2 2..........

And who took Forest down?

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, but a different game then, where Fergie managed to be successful in four decades as a manager winning major trophies and breaking the Glasgow dominance in Scotland and having to change his managerial style somewhat over the years whilst assembling several great and some nearly great sides over the years, Cloughie had a decent run on and off for 15-20 years, whilst Cloughie was good Fergie was better. 13 (16 if you count Scottish) 2 > 2 2..........

And who took Forest down?

Yes he did unfortunately and it affected his health too but he did take a division two side to European champions in a short time.The equilvalent feat now would be if SAF became manager of say Bolton and did the same in two years time. :mosking: Who would you say as an United fan was his best signing ?

I'm not a united fan but I would say their best signing would be someone like Solejeer  the 'Baby Assasin' (forgive the spelling as I didn't use google) or Ronaldo as they did sell him for a boat load of cash.

proper premier credentials tho sold your soul as a club to get their cmon the blue..... Whoops sorry isn't it the red birds now ?

Whilst I won't be seen buying OR even wearing a red Cardiff City shirt anytime soon - there is an alternative view.......

Newton Heath Loco - changed from green and yellow to red and white, changed their name to Manchester Utd.

St. Domingos changed their name to Everton

Manchester City haven't always been known by that name.

Real Madrid started as a cricket club for ex-pat Brits

Riverside FC changed their name to Cardiff City FC over 100 years ago, so why aren't the fans harkening back to that ?

get my drift ?

• Like 1

Yes he did unfortunately and it affected his health too but he did take a division two side to European champions in a short time.The equilvalent feat now would be if SAF became manager of say Bolton and did the same in two years time. :mosking: Who would you say as an United fan was his best signing ?

Cantona, changed the whole ethos at the club, the rest is history, he was the last piece in the jigsaw.

Well done Wigan and I sincerely hope they don't "do the double" of winning the F.A. Cup and being  relegated from the top flight in the same season, although it would be a unique "achievement" I believe.

• Like 1

CONGRATULATIONS TO WIGAN

GOOD LUCK FOR YOUR NEXT MATCHES, AFTER TODAY'S PERFORMANCE YOU DESERVE TO STAY IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE

Brit15 - A Wigan Rugby fan, but verrry happy today !!!!!!!!!!!

Well done Wigan; well done Roberto, bet you never thought you'd lead them to a Wembley win when you signed in '95; and nice one Dave, I bet today was the last thing on your mind when you were stretchered off in a final over 50 years ago.

• Like 1

Unlike some people I have no problem congratulating the better side, so Congrats to Wigan on winning the FA Cup and United for winning the league... You both deserved it...

As Ron said, I do now wonder about Mancini's future, he has built up a very good side but seems unable to make them play like they are hungry for the win unlike Fergie... We shall have to see what the future holds...

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations too, to Frank Lampard for beating the long standing record of Bobby Tambling's 202 goals scored for Chelsea.

Mr 203, is it enough to get a new contract though?

• Like 1