RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Watching Spain last night and knowing they had to win, brought memories of that night against Poland flooding back. The difference though was England played their hearts out and lost. The second memory was England in South Africa when they never even turned up. That was Spain last night. A team of brilliant individuals for their clubs who simply were not there at any time in the 90 minutes.

Let's hope England learned from that. Losing is one thing, but losing without even trying is inexcusable....

• RMweb Premium

What is it we lack?

Luck?

Guile?

Skill?

Or just world class players?

Phil

Again...all of the above.

Oddly enough, Wayne Rooney has been the player most criticised; however Gerrard seems to have been the weakest link for England in this competition. I know it is not completely fair to single out a single player, but Gerrard and Rooney are the senior players in the team.

Still, it is valuable experience for players like Sterling, Barkley and Sturridge.  

More shots in total and more (powder-puff) shots on target than Uruguay and 58% possession apparently.... and more poor defending....and no world class player to make the difference..... unfortunately.

Put money on correct score lines for Group D this year.

England 1 - 2 Italy

England 1 - 2 Uruguay

England 4 - 0 Costa Rica

My accumulator is 2/3rds right and yet I think I'm going to lose my bet…! I should mention I also had England to make it to the knockout stages.