RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

The difference is, in order to get to the Play-offs, Blackpool didn't spend money they don't have on players they can't afford. Which is why, whether they had won or lost they wouldn't be facing a winding-up order. Any income from their participation in the Premier League WILL fill the coffers at Bloomfield Rd., which will allow the club to finish the ground, improve training facilities & strengthen the playing squad without jeopardising the long-term future. Indeed, with prudent investment of this kind the club's future can be secured, whether or not it's in the top flight. The future's bright... the future's Tangerine!

What I wrote wasn't directed at Blackpool who, from what I've read and heard, will try to spend any extra income wisely and carefully. The question which I was speculating on was:

With ninety-six teams in the league as a whole, almost half have been in the Prem. Amazing when we consider it to be a closed shop for the bigger clubs. It just raises the question "What happened to all the money?".

ie - Where did the previous years' money go for all those 20-odd teams no longer in the Prem.

I'd really like to see a season where all of the promoted teams stay up, but as usual, the trick is to find three worse teams to go down!

I watched the Blackpool v Cardiff game and as a neutral thoroughly enjoyed it. I also watched the Inter v Bayern game, but unlike others enjoyed that too. Different football styles perhaps, But Inter fully deserved their win no matter how they play the game. Letting the oposition have the ball upto the last third then frustrating them is nothing new and fully within the rules. Blackpool will have to learn some of that if they are to survive in the Premiership. Gung Ho football will see a rapid return, All in all a good days footy on the tele, and the missus didnt moan once. Lucky me..

One of the lads I work with is a Burnley fan - I gave him y commiseration on the relegation but he said that they have had a good season not spent money they haven't got and played with some big names.

From what was said the other week there are some of the big names that owe a lot and make hefty losses each year. Surely they should be relegated like other teams but FA won't do it as they are the names that folks want to see in the PL.

I'm sure that the team that used to be Newton Heath (formed with Lancashire & Yorkshire Rly support) should have a large points deduction for the debt they have. How can they make such a loss getting 90k fans at each home game?

One of the lads I work with is a Burnley fan - I gave him y commiseration on the relegation but he said that they have had a good season not spent money they haven't got and played with some big names.

From what was said the other week there are some of the big names that owe a lot and make hefty losses each year. Surely they should be relegated like other teams but FA won't do it as they are the names that folks want to see in the PL.

I'm sure that the team that used to be Newton Heath (formed with Lancashire & Yorkshire Rly support) should have a large points deduction for the debt they have. How can they make such a loss getting 90k fans at each home game?

They don't , the holding company for the Glazers does. See page 17 of this thread for a fuller explanation. If you're having points deducted for losses/debt that's Liverpool, City, United down next season, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal the next. Yep that'll work, I'm off to have a tenner on Blackpool biggrin.gif

Blackpool 3 Cardiff City 2

Well done Blackpool, what a fantastic season! For a small club without a multi-millionaire backer the team have done us proud. .....

Play-offs are sometimes more fun than normal games, 'cos everyone goes all-out, and to hell with defence!

I didn't go to wembley but the rest of blackpool did. I live and work here and the smile on the town is huge. Everyone has been given a massive boost no matter if you like football or not and you need to be here to feel it but the atmosphere is electric.

No-on cares if they go back down but the record will show blackpool is/were a premier league club!

mark

I don't know if there were any Blackpool or Cardiff fans who wanted tickets and couldn't get them, but wasn't it a farce seeing the empty seats that couldn't be sold

for debenture/hospitality reasons.

Having been to (the new )Wembley to watch Cardiff City three times in as many years, I have to say I have not experienced difficulty in obtaining ticket(s) - even being in Australia prior when the FA Cup semi-final (v Barnsley) tickets went on sale, and again being in New York when the Blackpool tickets went on sale.

It's all down to 'knowing the right people' - and, due to a previous shift pattern it wasn't viable to buy a season ticket this year.

In my opinion there was a greater travelling support for Cardiff City at the Play-Off Final, than the F.A. Cup Final - with a greater allocation, and more at stake, that's understandable . . . . . after all the chances were that had we won the F.A. Cup we would have been prevented from playing in Europe due to previous links with the Welsh F.A. even though we play in the English system.

I wish Blackpool all the best - they will need it, with a capacity of only 13,000 every game will sell out, limited accomodation for away fans, limited returns from franchises within the stadium, money will have to be spent on players, because, like with Cardiff City (the team that didn't turn up !) most of those on show last Saturday wouldn't cut the mustard in the current Premiership..

Oh well, perhaps next year (with some Malaysian cash).

Brian R

I've just found the new Nike World Cup advert on Youtube, having caught a snatch of it after the friendly game the other night. I have to say, while it's only an ad, it's one of the best 3-minute videos I've seen for a while. I'd hesitate to say that even non-football fans will love it, but I'd certainly recommend it to anyone with a passing interest.

No connection with Nike, other than as a satisfied customer, etc... !

Initially, I thought that the music was a version of

, but of course, it's
(it's slightly embarrassing to even type that!). Very similar indeed...
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No one likes us we don't care!

Just back from Wembley. Our first success in 7 attempts at the play-offs and half my office in Swindon were there, it going to be good on Tuesday!!biggrin.gif

• Like 1

No one likes us we don't care!

Just back from Wembley. Our first success in 7 attempts at the play-offs and half my office in Swindon were there, it going to be good on Tuesday!!biggrin.gif

Good to hear, congratulations Millwall!

Justice for Charlton after that horrific semi-final... :(

Well earned by the Millwall boys, good luck for the coming season :)

Palace on brink of Liquidation

Not good news :(

Even as a died in the wool Charlton fan, it would be bad for the English Game if Palace went bust and disappeared.

It would also mean we'd have 23 teams in the championship next year, as opposed 24.

Football League Rules

12.2 Cessation of membership. If any Club ceases to be a member of The League for any reason (including, without limitation, pursuant to Article 4 of the Articles of ssociation or by way of relegation or expulsion for disciplinary reasons):-

12.2.1 during any Normal Playing Season, its playing record shall be expunged and the number of relegation places from the relevant Division for that Season shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members;

12.2.2 during the period between the end of the Normal Playing Season and the conclusion of the last Play Off Match for that Season, its playing record shall not be expunged but the number of relegation places from the relevant Division for that Season shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members; or

12.2.3 during the period between the conclusion of the last Play Off Match and the start of the following Season, its playing record shall not be expunged but the number of relegation places from the Division in which a Club would have played but for its cessation of membership, shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members and, during that Season, the relevant Division shall operate with a reduced number of Clubs.

Football League Rules

• RMweb Premium

Yeah and that'd be 6 points less we'd have next year!biggrin.gif

Mind you perhaps we could pick up any decent players from them for less than their true market value, like they've done to us in the past when we were in financial trouble.

I see that they're introducing a new ball for the World Cup. For heaven's sake - why? They do this every time, and every time, the new ball does stupid things that make a mockery of at least one result. In the next few weeks, several goalkeepers will be made to look like muppets, and at least one player we've never heard of will score a spectacular goal from 35 yards, with the ball dipping and swerving madly.

If they must produce a new ball for each major tournament (and I don't see the need myself - rarely has the phrase "reinventing the wheel" seemed more apt), why not at least let leagues use it for the preceeding year, to get used to it?

Surprised no-one raised this so far.

So what do we think of the World Cup squad then, here it is:

ENGLAND'S 2010 WORLD CUP SQUAD:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

I'm not all that convinced by Carrick, I can see why he's included Heskey, glad he's included Joe Cole, I think this is guy is shear class, the Cole brothers :P :P on the left are potential match winners I think.

Aaron Lennon, Shaun Wright-Phillips or Theo Walcott, now that was the dilemma for me, I just couldn't decide which 2 of the 3 to pick.

well over to you to discuss now.....

Regards

Neal.

Think Capello got it about right, Bit dissapointed for Dawson though, he's had a great season for Spurs and must be Gutted. Still there's time before the next one. Think Walcott is suffering from playing for Arsenal as there not a team associated with England players nowadays.

Think Walcott is suffering from playing for Arsenal...

Sadly, it's more the case that he's suffering because he's not playing for Arsenal, at least not enough.

The chosen 23 were fairly predictable, with the possible exception that most pundits picked Walcott to get the nod ahead of SWP.

There's no great problem with squad - and I'm sure Capello has seen plenty that we haven't - but I confess to being a bit perplexed about one issue: where are the full-backs? The received wisdom with a squad of 23 is that you pick your formation, and then have 2 players for every position, plus an extra GK. Therefore, if England are going 4-4-2, there will be 8 defenders, 8 midfielders, and 4 strikers, which is what we have. However, of the 8 backs, 5 are central defenders and 3 are full-backs. I'm guessing that Carragher is expected to do both jobs where necessary, but personally, I'd have left out Upson, and brought in Baines. I'd also have tried to find a place for Dawson...

Midfield-wise, I don't see how Carrick deserves a place, after what must have been a disappointing season for him, ahead of Scott Parker, who has played out of his skin, albeit for a very poor team. Equally, I'd have left out Lennon for Bentley, purely on the basis of current form.

Likewise, if we're talking about form, I struggle to see how Defoe got in, but Bent didn't. Perhaps Capello's thinking of a Defoe/Crouch partnership?

It sounds as if I disagree with the whole squad, but I don't - there's enough quality there for me not to be too nervous, at least until the quarter-finals! If I were choosing my squad, though, here's who I'd pick:

James, Robinson, Harper (let's start off controversial!)

Ferdinand, Terry, Dawson, Carragher (sorry Ledley, I'm worried about fitness), A.Cole, Baines, Warnock, G.Johnson

J.Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Parker, Milner, Bentley, A.Johnson, Walcott

Rooney, Crouch, Heskey, Bent

James, Robinson, Harper (let's start off controversial!)

Ferdinand, Terry, Dawson, Carragher (sorry Ledley, I'm worried about fitness), A.Cole, Baines, Warnock, G.Johnson

J.Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Parker, Milner, Bentley, A.Johnson, Walcott

Rooney, Crouch, Heskey, Bent

<Rant On> Extremely controversial, considering you have left the most inform goalkeeper (Joe Hart) out for a player from a lower league. My main gripe with Capello is that he said he would pick from the most inform players in the premier league. So how can you include Ledley King(Can't train, and may not last 90mins), Scott Parker (West Ham survived just), Rio Ferdinand (Can't get in the team at Man Utd). I admit that I would have at least looked at Roger Johnson, even possibly Lee Bowyer, I know I'm biased to Birmingham, but it seems the old adage that a Spurs shirt reverses into an England Shirt. Adam Johnson has had a good season at Man City, as has Kevin Davies at Bolton. No wonder we lose players to Scotland, Wales, NI, etc. When managers start to pick players that are on the top of their game, we will never do anything. Kevin Phillips, Steve Bruce, James Beattie spring to mind. <Rant Off>

Anyway how about a guess at the starting XI against the USA, here's mine:

Hart

Johnson Terry Carragher Cole

Lennon Barry Gerrard Milner

Rooney Heskey

Keepers -

Hobson's choice really ?

Defence -

Upson - no, Dawson should have been there. Ledly King is class and a gamble worth taking.

Johnson isn't the greatest defender. I wonder if Carragher will get the nod for RB in the tougher fixtures?

Midfield -

Carrick has had an awful season and he hasn't done anything encouraging when turning out for England either. He shouldn't be going if Capello said he would pick players based on form and recent performances.

Walcott - no surprise there. Arsenal fans aren't convinced either. His progress going nowhere at the moment.

SWP - ?????

Parker should have been given a chance. He's been in great form.

It's all come a bit too soon for Adam Johnson. Shame there wasn't enough time for him to become involved earlier.

Forwards -

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Anyway how about a guess at the starting XI against the USA, here's mine:

Hart

Johnson Terry Carragher Cole

Lennon Barry Gerrard Milner

Rooney Heskey

As a guess - not the team I'd necessarily choose you understand, but the one I think Capello will pick - I'd almost entirely agree with you. However, I reckon Capello will play James in goal first, and Lampard rather than Barry, the latter purely on the basis of current form and fitness. The other thing is that Ferdinand is captain, so is certain to play, surely? Which would mean Carragher giving way. So my prediction is:

James

Johnson, Ferdinand, Terry, A.Cole

Lennon, Lampard, Gerrard, Milner

Rooney, Heskey

I'm just spitting nails that a striker who's had just 45mins of football with some absolutely dire service from some completely disinterested england midfielders/defenders, and is England's other "top striker" for goals scored has been dropped in favour of:

1) A total donkey (Heskey)

2) Poor form player (Defoe)

and

3) injured and not firing on all cylinders (rooney).

That Bent hasn't made the cut again is outrageously unfair. But not unpredictable. Small club syndrome :rolleyes: He plays for Sunderland so he must be the worst of the five strikers, clearly.

The one thing he and Rooney got right last week was the stretching of the Mexico defense, time and again, but neither player got the service from the total muppets in midfield and defense who were deciding to have a go themselves...

I'm just spitting nails that a striker who's had just 45mins of football with some absolutely dire service from some completely disinterested england midfielders/defenders, and is England's other "top striker" for goals scored has been dropped in favour of:

1) A total donkey (Heskey)

Agreed. Only scored about, what is it, 3 or so goals for Villa all season? Still yet to shake off the "falls over a lot" reputation too.

neither player got the service from the total muppets in midfield and defense who were deciding to have a go themselves...

I can only presume they were trying a bit too hard to impress the boss; after all, cracking strike or not, Glen Johnson's job is surely helping to prevent opposition goals, not banging them in for England!

David

Meanwhile, in the world of park football. O-30 D3 matches are usually pretty dire, but today's went well. A bit lopsided (7-1), which can lead to problems, but both teams kept their heads, no bad fouls in 90 minutes, a bit of dissent that I thought I dealt with quite well.

Player on the losing team is well offside, which is a shame because he would have been through to goal. But that's what law 11 is there for. Well, he couldn't believe how the AR was so misguided and proceeded to let the world know about this. I'm not having my AR treated like that, so, "over here Robbie" (his teammates are all yelling at him, so I get his name). Now Robbie, I don't expect you to agree with the decision, but I do expect you to accept it.

Well, in my opinion blah blah blah....

Yes, thanks for your opinion, but I'm going with my AR's opinion.

Couple minutes later, when Robbie's calmed down a bit, we're getting in position for a goal kick.

Hey Robbie, keep your head in the game, you're one of the best players on your team, so let's keep you on the field, OK?

He was a perfect angel the rest of the game.

One thing that was a bit weird, was this guy looked a bit like Craig Bellamy, not a lot, but a bit. The right back on the other team though was a dead ringer for Gary Neville. And he could play as well.

• 2 weeks later...