Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

After the revolting yet utterly unsurprising scenes on the Paris Metro, I look forward to the possibility of Chelsea playing Millwall in future. Their respective fans clearly deserve each other....

I was amused, in a bad way, by the cloth eared Chelsea apologist, heard on the radio throughout the day, who claimed to be hearing "J*hn Te88y is a racist" on the Metro, as if this somehow made things seem a lot better.

Old news I would have thought....

Edited by cary hill

I'm a Chelsea fan, as I've probably previously admitted here, and the most bizarre thing that occurred to me after this incident is that these self-proclaimed "racist and proud" idiots clearly haven't spent much time looking at the Chelsea team lately. With all the black players in the Blues' squad, you'd think that these oafs wouldn't have bothered to travel to Paris to watch the team play.

The most one sided 3-2 thriller I have ever seen. Sheffield Wednesday scored from their only two shots in the game. But twice coming from behind to eventually win. Never been so pleased to see a Leeds United win too.

We are top of the league

(for now!!!)

.....these self-proclaimed "racist and proud" idiots clearly haven't spent much time looking at the Chelsea team lately. With all the black players in the Blues' squad, you'd think that these oafs wouldn't have bothered to travel to Paris to watch the team play.

Their racist tendencies probably extend to English only, British at a push, with a dislike of other Johnny foreigners too.

Ironic if they do. Chelsea only have two white English players in their entire first team squad.

I seem to recall Pat Nevin saying that the reason he left Chelsea was their supporters booing their first black player on his debut. Can't for the life of me remember his name!

Was it David Rocastle or Paul Furlong perhaps.Only a guess as I cant really think who came there when Nevin was playing.

• RMweb Gold

Don't know how widely this has been seen - sorry about the adverts!

Not proud of this - its my home town team after all - and the 4th time Khan had been kicked up in the air during the game.

Phil

Phil,

I think the ref made a poor decision.The tackle was diabolical and the retaliation was pretty over the top.However  I think the correct decision would have been two Red Cards.

Without the dangerous tackle the Worcester player would never have retaliated.

Regards,Derek.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Phil,

I think the ref made a poor decision.The tackle was diabolical and the retaliation was pretty over the top.However  I think the correct decision would have been two Red Cards.

Without the dangerous tackle the Worcester player would never have retaliated.

Regards,Derek.

Very true Derek! Thanks for the balanced view

Phil

well Lee Johnson departs for Barnsley just as we all started to believe he could do it this season and at least get us into the playoffs 

hopefully Dean Holden can steady the ship whilst in temporary charge but a confident PNE on saturday will be a tough start 

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/28/hearts-cowdenbeath-scottish-championship-match-report

Does anyone know offhand when a team last scored double figures in a league game in Britain?

Actually only a short time ago - May 3rd 2014 - Hamilton Accies 10 Morton 2. Previous Scottish instance - Dec 16th 1967 - Rangers 10 Raith Rovers 2 

Not happened in England since 1987. See list below of all 10 goal or more scoring feats since WW2:

1946/47 Wed Sep 4 1946 Reading 10 - 2 Crystal Palace Division 3 South   Sat Oct 5 1946 Newcastle United 13 - 0 Newport County Division 2 1948/49 Sat Jan 15 1949 Notts County 11 - 1 Newport County Division 3 South 1951/52 Sat Sep 29 1951 Lincoln City 11 - 1 Crewe Alexandra Division 3 North   Sat Jan 19 1952 Oldham Athletic 11 - 2 Chester Division 3 North 1958/59 Sat Oct 11 1958 Tottenham Hotspur 10 - 4 Everton Division 1   Sat Apr 4 1959 Hartlepools United 10 - 1 Barrow Division 4 1959/60 Sat Nov 14 1959 Aston Villa 11 - 1 Charlton Athletic Division 2 1961/62 Sat Mar 3 1962 Wrexham 10 - 1 Hartlepools United Division 4 1962/63 Wed Dec 26 1962 Oldham Athletic 11 - 0 Southport Division 4 1963/64 Thu Dec 26 1963 Fulham 10 - 1 Ipswich Town Division 1   Sat Jan 25 1964 Doncaster Rovers 10 - 0 Darlington Division 4 1987/88 Sat Sep 5 1987 Gillingham 10 - 0 Chesterfield Division 3   Sat Nov 7 1987 Manchester City 10 - 1 Huddersfield Town Division 2

:

Source (if stats are your thing) : http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistics/Articles/DidYouKnow04.htm

The 1987 season brought some notable highlights for Gillingham. In addition to the ten-goal whitewash, I remember they also managed to knock another team for either six-nil or eight-nil.

Trouble was, they couldn't produce that kind of blinding performance all season.

Dave Mackay has died - http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/31704507. One of the hardest players I ever saw but also, according to the rules as they were applied at the time, a very fair one. I remember seeing a TV compilation of Rodney Marsh's best moments from the previous week's match against Derby. Two things struck me about it - he didn't ever get rid of the ball usefully, and the player taking it from him most often (and most forcefully!) was Dave Mackay.

When Mackay was manager at Derby, and Francis Lee was still playing, and both were putting on the pounds, Lee said that they were going to do away with the 'lucky programme' competition. Instead, there would be a weekly competition to guess his and Mackay's combined weight.

Another of the heroes of my childhood and youth gone.

With you pH.  As one who stood on the Shelf for most home games from 59-67, Mackay was one of my heroes.  The hard man alongside Maurice Norman and Danny Blanchflower he was a joy to watch in those years when Spurs reigned supreme.

RIP Dave.  

Dave Mackay has died - http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/31704507. One of the hardest players I ever saw but also, according to the rules as they were applied at the time, a very fair one. I remember seeing a TV compilation of Rodney Marsh's best moments from the previous week's match against Derby. Two things struck me about it - he didn't ever get rid of the ball usefully, and the player taking it from him most often (and most forcefully!) was Dave Mackay.

When Mackay was manager at Derby, and Francis Lee was still playing, and both were putting on the pounds, Lee said that they were going to do away with the 'lucky programme' competition. Instead, there would be a weekly competition to guess his and Mackay's combined weight.....

In today's Times Obituary page, it states:

"...He also had a long association with a company making ties, which gave him a poor opinion of the dress sense of the modern footballer. Surveying pictures of the Spurs team, he huffed: 'Jermaine Defoe - scruffy b*stard.....Ledley King - scruffy b*stard, Ledley Bling more like.....Aaron Lennon - bloody fast, but another scruffy b*stard. The current lot really ought to get themselves along to Dave Mackay Ties.' "