Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

It's only goal difference, but my Arsenal-supporting colleague will be rubbing it in now....

Well we did our best to try and win with our £18 million team of bargain buys, free transfers and other teams' cast-offs, but I suppose a "comfortable" draw playing against a team whose starting line up cost £292 million isn't the worst result in the world.

Well we did our best to try and win with our £18 million team of bargain buys, free transfers and other teams' cast-offs, but I suppose a "comfortable" draw playing against a team whose starting line up cost £292 million isn't the worst result in the world.

I read today in the Daily Mail that Bournemouth are to be fined 10 Million Pounds and yourselves  8 Million Pounds under FFP rules. Seems a strange set of rules when you consider the variation in spending of certain other Clubs.

Good to see that Leeds United are upholding the traditions of the 1970's. Dirty team and an obnoxious manager. Happy to have picked up a point last night that keeps our promotion push on track, disappointed to have gifted them two goals with defending that is unlike us of late. Pleased that I was able to see the game after the cameras were allowed into the ground by the owner who is probably still happy to bank the tv money. They really do remain a very unlikeable outfit.

Was pleased to see Leicester get a point last night too. Their fairytale season shows no signs of ending. Despite being a fan from across the East Midlands I am pleased to see them doing so well. Good luck to the Foxes for the rest of the campaign, Ranieri is proving an inspired appointment at present!!

I read today in the Daily Mail that Bournemouth are to be fined 10 Million Pounds and yourselves  8 Million Pounds under FFP rules. Seems a strange set of rules when you consider the variation in spending of certain other Clubs.

Part of that article hits the nail on the head re The Football League's attitude re FFP:

"They want Bournemouth to be just right:lukewarm. Not skint, not successful - just in the middle, maintaining, existing just for it's own sake"...... No ambition please......

As far as Leicester City are concerned I regard the £8 million fine as a "Sven Tax" on the owners and a punishment for a disasterously expensive managerial appointment in Championship terms.

At least they eventually learnt from their mistakes and re-appointed the ever cheerful but financially frugal Nigel Pearson.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

Ranieri remarked after the game that he thought that this was a "very crazy" league, because "No one wants to win it."

His subsequent remarks were a bit weird too:

"We're the basement and the other teams are a villa with a swimming pool. It's not easy for us but we want to fight with everybody."

I suppose it's only natural for a Roman to want to build a villa and it must be better than the house of cards that Leicester usually build during our short stays in the top flight.

I can speak Ranieriese too.

....I suppose it's only natural for a Roman to want to build a villa and it must be better than the house of cards that Leicester usually build during our short stays in the top flight....

It's been a weird season so far. Arsenal have somehow risen without trace.

I take it that QPR paid off all of their fines before being allowed to drop down back into the league?

You either know me or it was pure coincidence,  as I am a long time QPR fan. To the best of my knowledge the threat of legal action by the club against the league bought the matter to an end.    :scratchhead: Unless of course anyone knows different.

Regards,Del 

• RMweb Gold

You either know me or it was pure coincidence, as I am a long time QPR fan.

Pure coincidence. You just happened to mention FFP and it brought to mind QPR and the various outcomes that were being bandied about when the whole issue just seemed to disappear. Edited by BoD
  • Like 1

Sorry to any QPR fans out there - but if FFP is to have any substance they CANNOT be allowed to escape without punishment. If they do then surely Bolton, Fulham and Forest should all have their transfer embargos lifted straight away!

(Actually forget that Forest should never be allowed to sign players ever again - just because they are from Nottingham!!!)

Sorry to any QPR fans out there - but if FFP is to have any substance they CANNOT be allowed to escape without punishment. If they do then surely Bolton, Fulham and Forest should all have their transfer embargos lifted straight away!

(Actually forget that Forest should never be allowed to sign players ever again - just because they are from Nottingham!!!)

I do agree the way the whole affair has been  handled   mishandled by the League is laughable. That despite being a regular at Loftus Road from 1956 until I moved away from Londinium.

Regards,Del.

I thought that Roberto Martinez was very mild in his criticism of Mark Clattenberg. Probably still be in trouble with the FA.

But really, how can a supposedly top official make not one but two wrong penalty calls like that in a match? Premiership referees are really nowhere near good enough.

Clattenberg is not even the worst of them. At least he got himself into a good position where he could have seen what went on. Some of them don't even read the game that well.

Whilst I agree with what you say, I do think that if there were the possibility of retrospective punishment - and harsh punishment at that - for the cheating behaviour of players, then the referees' jobs would become a lot clearer. They could make decisions based on what they'd seen, confident that they could believe their eyes, and that they'd not been conned.

And I'd like to see an end to this "there was definite contact, so he had every right to go down" attitude, which extends from the players and managers right through to the "experts" on MOTD.

At last!  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35260449

Well, I quite enjoy the moments when they 'go upstairs' in League and Union. We get to see all the critical moments up to an 'unsure' decision.

Bring it on!

Have you tried it "live" - sheer tedium in real time when I occasionally attend Leicester Tigers games and we have wait for the "man in the van" to reach a "decision" after multiple replays. It's really bad when the referee you've got is too scared to make the big decisions and is constantly going "upstairs to the van" for reassurance and dragging the "match time" towards 90 or 95 minutes.

It will be interesting to see if the TMO becomes the most important match official at football matches as is sometimes the case in Rugby Union matches. I can't speak for Rugby League as I seldom watch the Northern pagan form of the game.

Edited by cary hill

It now appears that we can't even beat Exeter City. "Kevinlms" this is all your fault, predicting all those draws!!!

Still, happy to help them continue their financial solvency.....

I may be able to stop paying my Trust fee of £4 a month if we win the cup!

I did not go down to  St James Park last night as I have a  05.00 start this morning.

I thought that our (Exeter) young lads did well, four from our youth set up played all 90mins

The strikers Nichols and Reid, and the defenders (Jordans) Tillson and Moore-Taylor were all only 21 or 22.  

I think you could tell it has rained a bit in the West Country recently,

but as 'Tis' (Mr, Ted Baker) pointed out afterwards Exeter will also have a better pitch to play on at Anfield!

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried it "live" - sheer tedium in real time when I occasionally attend Leicester Tigers games and we have wait for the "man in the van" to reach a "decision" after multiple replays. It's really bad when the referee you've got is too scared to make the big decisions and is constantly going "upstairs to the van" for reassurance and dragging the "match time" towards 90 or 95 minutes.

It will be interesting to see if the TMO becomes the most important match official at football matches as is sometimes the case in Rugby Union matches. I can't speak for Rugby League as I seldom watch the Northern pagan form of the game.

So right. The recent Rugby World Cup saw numerous referees fail to take responsibility for easy decisions. Too much reliance on TV replays will just lead to even poorer refereeing and more dissent from players.