The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Good to see the new Chief Executive at Aston Villa is reported to be ready to sack Remi Garde this week and replace him with Nigel Pearson.

Do better sacking the entire playing staff and buying a Non League clubs playing staff who would at least show some spirit.

Really feel for the genuine AVFC Supporters in the Holt End and the rest of the ground.

Employing Neil Warnock might be a better idea, given Rotherham's recent upturn in form!

More penalty nonsense today . The video of todays Chelsea one is beyond belief, he tripped over his own feet.

When is football going to arrive in the 21st Century and have a 2nd referee on a TV monitor to have the last say on such important decisions.

Do Premier League Refs ever have eye tests ? ,if not they need them done urgently now !!!!

Being serious for a moment, there's nothing terribly wrong with referees' eyesight, but they do need help. I'm a Chelsea fan, but I'm happy to agree that the penalty award was fortunate in the extreme. I don't necessarily agree that it was "beyond belief", or that the player fell over of his own accord (but maybe that's my own bias!), but the contact, such as it was, occurred a few inches outside the box.

Unfortunately for West Ham, the referee, in his one and only look at the incident, had to judge - after the Chelsea player had hit the deck - whether an offence was committed, and if so, where. As you rightly say, we need to move top-flight football into the current century, and give the officials every help they need to arrive at the correct decision.

Being serious for a moment, there's nothing terribly wrong with referees' eyesight, but they do need help. I'm a Chelsea fan, but I'm happy to agree that the penalty award was fortunate in the extreme. I don't necessarily agree that it was "beyond belief", or that the player fell over of his own accord (but maybe that's my own bias!), but the contact, such as it was, occurred a few inches outside the box.

Unfortunately for West Ham, the referee, in his one and only look at the incident, had to judge - after the Chelsea player had hit the deck - whether an offence was committed, and if so, where. As you rightly say, we need to move top-flight football into the current century, and give the officials every help they need to arrive at the correct decision.

That is twice in the last 3 matches that a pen has been awarded against WHU when the contact happened outside of the box. See also v Everton.

And for you stats buffs, West Ham has not been awarded a penalty away from home in the past 4 seasons. A paranoid may come to some sort of conspiracy theory.

• RMweb Gold

That is twice in the last 3 matches that a pen has been awarded against WHU when the contact happened outside of the box. See also v Everton.

And for you stats buffs, West Ham has not been awarded a penalty away from home in the past 4 seasons. A paranoid may come to some sort of conspiracy theory.

I didn't know that Jose Mourinho was a Hammers supporter.

• RMweb Gold

Whether there is contact or not may sometimes be hard to determine. A couple of pens that should have been given this weekend were not given.

I don't see that there is much excuse though for getting it wrong about whether contact is inside or outside the box. Between ref and linesman, that should be easy to get right.

Everyone has their favourite Mario Balotelli story, anyway I got told an absolute belter today....

A guy who I know recently spent the day with Sir Alex Ferguson at the Cheltenham Festival (it was the result of a charity auction, more money than sense!) Helicopter in etc.....

So this is pretty much straight from the horses mouth and one I've never heard before.

Pre a Manchester Derby at Old Trafford when Balotelli was at City some time before kick of, there was a knock at SAF's office door, Balotelli was ushered in and the upshot of the conversation was 'Super Mario' inquiring as to if SAF would be interested in signing him for United as he quite fancied it....bear in mind this is pre kick off in a Manchester derby and there'd been absolutely contact or discussion, he just thought that he could sort it there and then.....brilliant! 

I always used to loathe the guy (well MCFC/Liverpool it's just par for the course) but I'm now, well if not a confirmed admirer, a little softer on my stance......

Bloody glad he didn't take him up on the offer though.......!

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry. Hodgson will bring all the old crocks back in for the Euro finals.

I can see it now. Rooney injured, England playing rubbish but eke out a draw against the bottom team in the group. They need a win, the press saying all will be well when Rooney is fit. Rooney returns and England........ are still crap.

Sound familiar?

By I'm a curmudgeonly old git aren't I?

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry. Hodgson will bring all the old crocks back in for the Euro finals.

I can see it now. Rooney injured, England playing rubbish but eke out a draw against the bottom team in the group. They need a win, the press saying all will be well when Rooney is fit. Rooney returns and England........ are still crap.

Sound familiar?

With Rooney's record in tournaments there's no need to take him to France.

Not at all just a realist.

I suspect England won tonight despite the ultra conservative dead hand of Hodgson on the tiller

I'm sure Hodgson will take as many crocks and players who have not or barely played this season as possible to the Euros

Another bad kit night at Wembley tonight to follow on from Saturday.

It looks as if both teams have discovered some "tatty" remnants of Coventry's Sky Blue 1987 Cup Final kit lying about in their dressing rooms decided to wear them tonight.

Tnank goodness it wasn't the chocolate brown kit.

• RMweb Gold

Another bad kit night at Wembley tonight to follow on from Saturday.

It looks as if both teams have discovered some "tatty" remnants of Coventry's Sky Blue 1987 Cup Final kit lying about in their dressing rooms decided to wear them tonight.

Tnank goodness it wasn't the chocolate brown kit.

Ha Ha bloody ha.They couldn't find any other Midlands FA cup winning since kit there David.