The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Is it just me being a grumpy old git or was the whole thing the worst advert for football ever?

Mind you, it was a bit off asking all those millionaires to give up their summer holidays by asking them to train and play a few more matches. I reckon they responded accordingly as most of them looked as if they would rather be elsewhere.

To be fair, although all the football was rubbish, it was only England who looked like they did not want to be there!

A pity that Koscielny was booked by Clattenburg for a handball by the Portuguese player.  

Still that kinda summed up the charade - excuse the French expression.....

A pity that Koscielny was booked by Clattenburg for a handball by the Portuguese player.  

Still that kinda summed up the charade - excuse the French expression.....

It's difficult when we are taught to be racially colour blind.

Says it all about the tournament as Portugal have reached the final having only won one game in 90 minutes. Even England managed that!

And winning the tournament still without winning in 90 mins.

The final was scrappy and overall the standard of football throughout the event was poor with occasionally just a few flashes of brilliance from a few players. If there is one thing that England should learn it is how not to go out of tournaments while playing badly - get a bigger bus.

G.

• RMweb Gold

Sadly, I was ill in bed last night and missed the match. Hope I can find it on iPlayer.

Portugal will be tough. They have managed to qualify despite not playing well - always a great way to win tournaments.

You read it here first! I should have gone to the bookie's.

• Like 1

The decision to expand Euro 2016 to 24 teams to appease to mediocre was a dismal disaster with so few memorable matches and so few outstanding individuals.

I predict the next one in 2020 with it's unfriendly sprawling format may be even worse:

• UEFA EURO 2020 host associations/cities selected by UEFA Executive Committee
• London to host semi-finals and final of the 'EURO for Europe' after announcement in Geneva
• Baku, Munich, Rome and Saint Petersburg to hold the quarter-finals plus three group games
• Copenhagen, Bucharest, Amsterdam, Dublin, Bilbao, Budapest, Brussels and Glasgow will also host games at the finals: three group games and one round of 16
• There are a total of 13 associations/cities hosting games, chosen from 19 bids.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

The decision to expand Euro 2016 to 24 teams to appease to mediocre was a dismal disaster with so few memorable matches and so few outstanding individuals.

I couldn't agree more, and the methodology for deciding which 3rd place teams got into the next stage made proportional representaion calculations look like child's play.  I'm confident the 2020 committee can come up with a method that's even more confusing!

Re-organisation of the Euros, at least things could've been worse. We had three bites of the cherry (four if you include the RoI).

Just imagine if we lived in a country where we had no say in who our Head of State is, we aren't able to vote for a Prime Minster and there's no effective political opposition.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I believe Portugal won it in 90 minutes!

We'd had our fun. Thought Portugal deserved a go....

fans of tiny Gibraltar team giving Brendan Rodgers the "your getting sacked in the morning chant "  priceless 

One of the quotes from the match report was:

"One Red Imps player was driving a taxi until a few hours before the game........".

After the game "Taxi for Mr. Rodgers......"

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

"One Red Imps player was driving a taxi until a few hours before the game........".

That must have been the one that gave a reporter a lift from the airport and when asked if he was going to the game replied "Yes, I've got to. I'm playing ......."

Yes, think where you would have finished with a top manager...

Sam Allaydyce for England....

I believe "Sir" Gary and Rio were consulted by F.A. on this managerial vacancy ......."Sam Allardyce? Really?"