The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

Blimey, that's a thought - Sam on the panel with Craig whatsisname and that flamboyant Italian. It could even make me start watching!

The Leicester City "Fairytale" officially ended today:

Kante gone:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36806454

Steve Walsh going:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/07/16/leicester-city-resigned-to-losing-head-of-recruitment-steve-wals/

Mahrez too:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/15/riyad-mahrez-leicester-city

At least we maxed out last season whilst the going was good, back to the annual struggle against relegation with Champions League football as light relief :jester:

The Leicester City "Fairytale" officially ended today:

Kante gone:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36806454

Steve Walsh going:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/07/16/leicester-city-resigned-to-losing-head-of-recruitment-steve-wals/

Mahrez too:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/15/riyad-mahrez-leicester-city

At least we maxed out last season whilst the going was good, back to the annual struggle against relegation with Champions League football as light relief :jester:

You still have the Champions League to look forward to.

No such thing as loyalty.

As I said a couple of months of ago:

It's not the player's egos I worry about, more their destablising greedy parasitic agents.......

£6m or  £7m of agents "fees" to be had from Kante and Mahrez being moved on....

The less forgiving Leicester City hard core fans are already referring to N'Grateful K..te.....I wouldn't go that far, but going to Chelski is a bit odd, apart from the barrowloads full of cash....

Edited by cary hill

Don't really feel in the "football" mood at the moment. Mediocre players being moved around for millions of pounds. Sometimes you wonder if it's a game at all.

Anyway, Derby will probably flatter to deceive as usual, though to be honest, the Championship is more interesting than the Premier millionaires row.

Don't really feel in the "football" mood at the moment. Mediocre players being moved around for millions of pounds. Sometimes you wonder if it's a game at all.

Anyway, Derby will probably flatter to deceive as usual, though to be honest, the Championship is more interesting than the Premier millionaires row.

Well a 4-0 defeat by Benfica does not fill you with confidence!

Has the season started already? I had a load of "fans" on my train earlier today who thought it was perfectly acceptable to sit there and chant rude stuff at the tops of their voices despite the presence of children. If the hadn't been getting off at the next stop (luckily only 10 mins down the line) they certainly wouldn't have been going any further... They made the drunken racegoers i had later look positively angelic...

Disgusting.

Has the season started already? I had a load of "fans" on my train earlier today who thought it was perfectly acceptable to sit there and chant rude stuff at the tops of their voices despite the presence of children. If the hadn't been getting off at the next stop (luckily only 10 mins down the line) they certainly wouldn't have been going any further... They made the drunken racegoers i had later look positively angelic...

Disgusting.

The season started in Scotland this weekend with some cup games. Ridiculously early if you ask me. I know the English teams have started playing pre season friendlies and there were quite a few playing yesterday.

I must admit that, despite being a big football fan, I am finding the summer break getting shorter and shorter. By May I am very much ready for a break from the game whether that be going to watch home games or watching live matches on television. Admittedly this summer we have had the Euros, but every summer there seems to be earlier starts to competitive fixtures and a multitude of summer "friendly" tournaments. This year the league season starts on August 6th (although there is a live television game the day before). This is a very early start. Traditionally the league season used to kick off mid August, usually around the date of my birthday on the 15th, not sure of the need for earlier starts.

That being said I was pleased to see my other local team, Burton Albion, warm up for life in the Championship with a 3-0 win over Stoke City. I will be interested to see how they do this year. It will be strange having to face them in a competitive local Derby this year. It could prove to be one of the friendlier Derbies as there are many Rams fans who also follow the Brewers.

English clubs have the good fortune to avoid the early preliminary rounds of European competitions, the Scottish Clubs were already playing Europa League ties before the European Championships finished.  The "experimental" Scottish League Cup and Challenge cups are attracting a lot of negative criticism, the Challenge cup in particular, which is now open to under 20 teams from the Premier League.

Jim

English clubs have the good fortune to avoid the early preliminary rounds of European competitions, the Scottish Clubs were already playing Europa League ties before the European Championships finished.  The "experimental" Scottish League Cup and Challenge cups are attracting a lot of negative criticism, the Challenge cup in particular, which is now open to under 20 teams from the Premier League.

Jim

It will be interesting to see how the former Johnstone's Paint Trophy fairs in England this year now that Under 21 Premier League and Football League teams have been invited.

new rules for match officials 

Dissent towards match officials

Yellow cards will be issued to players who:

Show visibly disrespectful behaviour to any match official

Respond aggressively to decisions

Confront an official face to face

Run towards an official to contest a decision

Offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards match officials

Red cards will be issued to players who confront match officials and use offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards them.

Physical contact with match officials

A yellow card for physical contact with any match official in a non-aggressive manner (e.g. an inquisitive approach to grab the official’s attention).

A red card for physical contact with match officials in an aggressive or confrontational manner.

Surrounding match officials

A yellow card for at least one player when two or more from a team surround a match official.

The FA will continue to sanction teams when they surround match officials.

Conduct in the technical area

Behaviour by players and club staff in the technical area will be more rigorously enforced

The requirements of the Technical Area Code of Conduct will be more rigorously enforced for players and club staff.

Additionally, match officials will be required to retain professional detachment from players and club staff at all times.

• RMweb Gold

Will the refs apply this though.

They didn't use the idea of moving a free kick 10yds when it involved a yellow card too. I gues for fear of issuing too many cards.

It seems quite a few of those a very subjective. That could lead to problems.

I hope they do apply this stringently but consistently and fairly.

If there are a handful of sending offs early in the season so be it. I'm sure the players will learn.

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Gold

new rules for match officials 

Dissent towards match officials

Yellow cards will be issued to players who:

Show visibly disrespectful behaviour to any match official

Respond aggressively to decisions

Confront an official face to face

Run towards an official to contest a decision

Offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards match officials

Red cards will be issued to players who confront match officials and use offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards them.

Physical contact with match officials

A yellow card for physical contact with any match official in a non-aggressive manner (e.g. an inquisitive approach to grab the official’s attention).

A red card for physical contact with match officials in an aggressive or confrontational manner.

Surrounding match officials

A yellow card for at least one player when two or more from a team surround a match official.

The FA will continue to sanction teams when they surround match officials.

Conduct in the technical area

Behaviour by players and club staff in the technical area will be more rigorously enforced

The requirements of the Technical Area Code of Conduct will be more rigorously enforced for players and club staff.

Additionally, match officials will be required to retain professional detachment from players and club staff at all times.

I can't see anything new here. Just a question of applying existing rules.

• RMweb Gold

Back in the 1960s, FA picked a manager who had done really well at a small club in the then 1st Division (now Premiership). He went on to win the World Cup.

Now the best that they can find is a man who is good at avoiding relegation. Does not fill me with confidence for the future of English football.

• RMweb Gold

It'll all end in tears.

Indeed...what will change? I've got nothing against Big Sam  but it's the same 'old suits' on the FA selection committee. Reminiscent of RFU's 'old farts' controversy a few years ago.

Where are the retired England players that should be involved? Love him or hate him IIRC Alan Shearer made a passionate comment after that disgraceful performance about experienced player involvement in the manager selection and their input into what might be required to change things. 

P.S. ...being a proud Welshman.......! :sungum:

Edited by Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

I really don't know what the answer is. It seems like only yesterday that Don Revie was given the job, to universal acclaim and IIRC no dissenting voices (no interweb then).

Yet his stewardship seemed to go t#ts up faster than pretty much anyone.