Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

I think that's just a symptom of  the top clubs hoovering up all the money, exactly as the 'premier' clubs wanted when they broke away to form the premier league.

Which has caused the levelling up of much of the rest, there is now very little difference between league one, league two or the national league.

The only way you can be sucessful is if you get a wealthy backer, who is prepared to pump in millions.

I think English football is heading towards being like Scottish football where only two teams actually win anything , there's only realistically a handful capable of winning now in England.

In total agreement about the standard - I think there is now very little difference in quality between the bottle two-thirds of League One and the top half of the National League. As a weekly watcher of Conference football the quality has improved markedly over the last decade as more and more teams have become professional - both on and off the field. It's a pig of a league to get out of too.... see how long it took Luton. Other teams such as Wrexham are still stuck, we've had Oxford, Cambridge, Lincoln.... the most of huge clubs goes on. But then look who is top of the league - Solihull Moors. 

But you're right, ultimately as with 95% of success in football, it all boils down to money. Even a smaller club like mine is nowhere near sustainable and requires an owner to simply subsidise the operation.

Money makes the (football) world go round......

3 hours ago, 101 said:

I think English football is heading towards being like Scottish football where only two teams actually win anything ...

Since 2011:

Scottish League Cup winners include Kilmarnock, St. Mirren, Aberdeen and Ross County.

Scottish Cup winners include Hearts, St. Johnstone, Inverness Caley Thistle and Hibs.

• Like 2

Guest Ohmisterporter2

News from the High Court is that Owen Oyston is being forced to sell up, as previously instructed. Receivers appointed to deal with assets including the football club, training ground, and the hotel that is attached to the south stand. Unfortunately being in receivership means an automatic twelve point deduction. So Blackpool will drop from just outside playoffs to relegation zone. Boy, will we be glad when this is all settled.

4 minutes ago, Ohmisterporter2 said:

News from the High Court is that Owen Oyston is being forced to sell up, as previously instructed. Receivers appointed to deal with assets including the football club, training ground, and the hotel that is attached to the south stand. Unfortunately being in receivership means an automatic twelve point deduction. So Blackpool will drop from just outside playoffs to relegation zone. Boy, will we be glad when this is all settled.

You just need he Oyston's away from your club before he runs it into the ground. Feel for the Blackpool fans. Might administration and him being forced to sell up be a case of short term pain for long term gain? (Although I know you have had years of pain since the PL season)

3 hours ago, pH said:

Since 2011:

Scottish League Cup winners include Kilmarnock, St. Mirren, Aberdeen and Ross County.

Scottish Cup winners include Hearts, St. Johnstone, Inverness Caley Thistle and Hibs.

That's very true and far more varied than the winners of the FA Cup and League Cup in England over the last decade. From a completely neutral point of view, it would be great if someone to break Celtic's stranglehold on the SPL - personally I would love it to be Aberdeen. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, pH said:

Since 2011:

I was actually thinking about leagues with my original comment but I take your point and long may it continue, I'm all for the small teams 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, south_tyne said:

That's very true and far more varied than the winners of the FA Cup and League Cup in England over the last decade. From a completely neutral point of view, it would be great if someone to break Celtic's stranglehold on the SPL - personally I would love it to be Aberdeen. 

One day it will be Rangers again!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, kevinlms said:

One day it will be Rangers Sevco again! (if they don't go bust in the process)

Sorted that for you, Rangers died (according to everyone that doesn't support Rangers)

I generally agree with the sentiments though, the stranglehold that the Old Firm have on the League Titles has blighted the rest of Scottish Football for many years, and you can actually trace the source of the financial troubles at Rangers to the brief period when Aberdeen and Dundee United (aka the "New Firm") challenged the Glasgow teams' dominance.  That challenge was met by David Murray and his programme of massive spending, culminating in a ludicrous £12 million for Tore Andre Flo that led to a return to total dominance, but without the money being pumped into the English game by Sky it could not be sustained and we all know how that ended up.

15 hours ago, Ohmisterporter2 said:

great news for you lot finnaly you may be rid of your leach and able to move foreward .hopefully Mr Abbadalah can raise the funds to buy back the rest of boundary park and the surrounding land from the three asset strippers .

On 12/02/2019 at 16:42, Butler Henderson said:

Sad news re Gordon Banks to dampen further given Notts present position any celebration of the 25th Anniversary of Sir Charlie Palmer day https://prideofnottingham.co.uk/home/media/sir-charlie-palmer-day-when-notts-county-got-the-better-of-nottingham-forest-r2419/ - a wake really seems more appropriate

And I think I've got it bad as a Forest supporter! If that is the highlight of the last 25 years for Notts fans it's no wonder there are so few of them...

2 hours ago, Rob F said:

And I think I've got it bad as a Forest supporter! If that is the highlight of the last 25 years for Notts fans it's no wonder there are so few of them...

Really? - given the recent attendances have been the highest in League Two and sometimes higher than League One, discounting away fans, have to wonder what the attendance would be higher up the leagues,

Edited by Butler Henderson

3 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Really? - given the recent attendances have been the highest in League Two and sometimes higher than League One, discounting away fans, have to wonder what the attendance would be higher up the leagues,

You are THE Notts fan and I claim my £5!!  :sarcastichand::nyam:

19 hours ago, Rob F said:

You are THE Notts fan and I claim my £5!!  :sarcastichand::nyam:

Yawn...12,660 at Meadow Lane today, okay that includes Mansfjeld fans but nevertheless only 3 teams in League One have a higher average this season and 4 Championship teams have a lower average, and that was a higher attendance than the Championship Derby today between Rotherham and Sheff Wed.

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:46, Rob F said:

Notts fans are a touchy lot....

And in a few words the woodentop slags off the very founder of his beloved club who was a Notts member seeking to solve the problem of an opposition for Notts and who sourced their very first kit from a shop run by another Notts member.

5 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

And in a few words the woodentop slags off the very founder of his beloved club who was a Notts member seeking to solve the problem of an opposition for Notts and who sourced their very first kit from a shop run by another Notts member.

Was the shop Beecrofts???

Cheers from oz,

Peter C.

My mam was a County fan 'back in the day', and history shows that they were the leading Nottingham side in the 1920-40s. Given their history, I was always puzzled that they never had a B17 named for them.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 22:52, 45568 said:

My mam was a County fan 'back in the day', and history shows that they were the leading Nottingham side in the 1920-40s. Given their history, I was always puzzled that they never had a B17 named for them.

One of those mysteries; other places with two or more teams had B17s named after their football teams. At least a NET  tram, 226, is named  Jimmy Sirrel  &  Jack Wheeler

Seems difficult to imagine today but for 20 odd years between the mid 1960s and mid 1980s Notts were never relegated and only knew promotion - a whole generation  of Notts fans grew up only knowing success which ended with relegation from the top flight in 1984 and the mayhem that has largely followed ever since:(

Cannot help but wonder how different things might have been if the League had not made clubs play test matches to determine promotion and relegation in the 1890s - Notts finished the 1892/93 season 14th out of 16 clubs and 6 points (equivalent to 3 wins back then) above the bottom club but were relegated due to losing a test match on a pitch reported as being frozen and unplayable at Darwen. The two clubs below stayed up, the bottom club being one Newton Heath aka Manchester United. Such if fate. although it did mean the following season Notts could claim the honour of being the first second division club to win the FA Cup.

On 18/02/2019 at 20:02, Butler Henderson said:

I don't think 'touchy lot' adequately qualifies as 'slagging off' but your response does rather prove the point I was trying, albeit clumsily, to make.

I got interested in football in around 1974 when I was 6 and became a Forest fan for no other reason than my sister was a season ticket holder at Meadow Lane and there was no way I was going to do anything the same as her! It had nothing to do with relative success because at that time both clubs were in the second division and Notts finished above Forest for two years in a row. I am in my 31st year as a season ticket holder at the City Ground now and have managed to inflict the disease on my eldest son as well!

Football in Nottingham is strange as there is really very little antipathy from Forest fans towards County, and for a good while if County got a good result there would be a small cheer when it was announced at the City Ground. The same can certainly not be said in the opposite direction as a good number of County fans seem to despise Forest with a passion and a highlight of their week is when Forest lose a game.

Reds really only see Derby as the local rivals and an intense rivalry it is too. The latest instalment is next Monday evening at the City Ground and both sides need to win the game badly, so it should be an interesting evening!

5 hours ago, Rob F said:

Reds really only see Derby as the local rivals and an intense rivalry it is too. The latest instalment is next Monday evening at the City Ground and both sides need to win the game badly, so it should be an interesting evening!

Once was time Notts also saw Derby as rivals, I well remember pleasant atmospheres in local pubs with Notts, Forest, Leicester and Mansfield fans present and then a Derby fan walked in... 

Our very own mad little Napoleon continues to plot his own downfall at the KingPower, but I'm getting worried because he might take my club down with him, although i'm hoping we can "accidentally" pick up  the six or so points we need to stay up and avoid being another club that "blows up" in the second half of the season and ends up getting relegated from the Prem. 

The team's performances, especially at home, are beginning to match Puel's passionless incoherent press performances far too closely for my liking. We have now lost four successive home games with little sign of arresting the direction of travel.

Apparently we had 65% possession  and 27 goal attempts this evening, most of them pathetic in terms of direction and power (only 5 on target and one goal) , to Palace's 7 goal attempts (5 on target and 4 goals). Whatever is wrong with the team at both ends of the pitch Puel clearly can't fix it and I was still bored at the game with little sense that we  would actually manage to score.

Never mind we go again on Tuesday against Brighton, another one of the many mediocre PremIership teams that we should  have a good chance of beating at home,  but I fear the "Puel Revolution" has transformed Leicester into a very poor team at home in the Premiership these days with his incessant team and tactical chopping and changing and bizarre substitutions.

• Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, cary hill said:

Our very own mad little Napoleon continues to plot his own downfall at the KingPower, but I'm getting worried because he might take my club down with him, although i'm hoping we can "accidentally" pick up  the six or so points we need to stay up and avoid being another club that "blows up" in the second half of the season and ends up getting relegated from the Prem. 

The team's performances, especially at home, are beginning to match Puel's passionless incoherent press performances far too closely for my liking. We have now lost four successive home games with little sign of arresting the direction of travel.

Apparently we had 65% possession  and 27 goal attempts this evening, most of them pathetic in terms of direction and power (only 5 on target and one goal) , to Palace's 7 goal attempts (5 on target and 4 goals). Whatever is wrong with the team at both ends of the pitch Puel clearly can't fix it and I was still bored at the game with little sense that we  would actually manage to score.

Never mind we go again on Tuesday against Brighton, another one of the many mediocre PremIership teams that we should  have a good chance of beating at home,  but I fear the "Puel Revolution" has transformed Leicester into a very poor team at home in the Premiership these days with his incessant team and tactical chopping and changing and bizarre substitutions.

You're not going to go down, simply because there are some terrible teams in the PL at the moment - Huddersfield, Fulham and probably Cardiff will be the three to drop. But I do hear what you're saying... you could still finish anywhere from about 8th to 17th though. 

Puel seems to have a very strange approach and is obviously not getting the best out of your players. Vardy,  Maddison, Gray are all excellent attacking players but seem so restricted by his system. You never seem to grab the initiative and whikst you've beaten some of the top teams this season you're not taking points off the teams below and around. If I were a Leicester fan the most infuriating thing would be his seemingly blase attitude and response....... I am sure he is a nice bloke, and a good coach, but he just comes across as so.... relaxed and non committal about the situation. It's probably just his personality but sometimes I just want to shake the man!! :laugh_mini: And I'm just a casual observer with no vested interest, so I really feel for you fans! 

Palace came with a gameplan today and 'did you'. Every football fan knew they would come, soak up pressure and then hit you on the break with the pace of Zaha, Townsend et al. 

Puel just seems a dead man walking. Saying that, sometimes it's a case of be careful what you wish for - turning the clock back 12 months, would Ipswich fans really give Mick McCarthy just dogs abuse for his negative, boring mid-table football........

On a positive note, my boys continue to confound all expectations!! A great home point against league leaders Wrexham this afternoon. A complete shambles off the pitch but performing miracles with no resources on it! Haway the Super Heed Army!!! :yahoo_mini: