The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Haven't seen anything of Celtic ?

Basically, the equivalent of a Championship team playing in a local Sunday League.

Of course, each year there is the possibility of a midweek break in some unheard of  European backwater, with a game thrown in, whilst singing anything anti-British .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, br2975 said:

Haven't seen anything of Celtic ?

Basically, the equivalent of a Championship team playing in a local Sunday League.

Of course, each year there is the possibility of a midweek break in some unheard of  European backwater, with a game thrown in, whilst singing anything anti-British .

From the limited amount of SPL action I've seen recently I would agree. Celtic are maybe a Championship team and the rest equivalent to League 1 and League 2. Two of our  (Gateshead) players have left for Motherwell in the last 18 months and have done really well. Now we are are a mid-table National League side and, whilst both were good players at our level, neither was an absolute world beater. Unfortunately I think that smacks of the quality in the SPL....... Sad really. 

Or the development abilities of the Coach at the two clubs and how they are allowed to play... There are plenty of examples of seemingly average players becoming very good with the right coaching... Things ain't that simple...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, cary hill said:

"I'll give my life to make the supporters proud of their club." (B. Rodgers) that's a good starting sound bite.........

….. or perhaps not given the still recent events at the club.

3 minutes ago, BoD said:

….. or perhaps not given the still recent events at the club.

I also questioned how that was phrased. Obviously in no way intentional, but a little insensitive given the recent context. 

23 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Or the development abilities of the Coach at the two clubs and how they are allowed to play... There are plenty of examples of seemingly average players becoming very good with the right coaching... Things ain't that simple...

True, but stepping from the 5th tier in one league structure to the top tier in another does hunt at the relative disparity. It's not just out two players either, there has been a few players stepping from the Conference to the SPL over the last few years.

Saying that, I'm all for taking players from the lower leagues and giving them a chance at a higher level. It's heartening to know there are still multiple avenues into the top end of the game, not simply through the Premier League academy system, where you start at about 7 years old and are incubated and cosseted and indulged in a privileged environment. As a watcher I lots of non-league football you still come across the odd gem of player who you look at and think... if you someone could get hold of them they could play at a much higher level. Up here, Lewis Wing has taken the step up from the Northern League to Middlesbrough and is doing fantastically. I am really chuffed for him and it shows it can still happen. Not all is lost when a player is released at 16. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, south_tyne said:

From the limited amount of SPL action I've seen recently I would agree. Celtic are maybe a Championship team and the rest equivalent to League 1 and League 2. Two of our  (Gateshead) players have left for Motherwell in the last 18 months and have done really well. Now we are are a mid-table National League side and, whilst both were good players at our level, neither was an absolute world beater. Unfortunately I think that smacks of the quality in the SPL....... Sad really. 

I think that is a little unfair, on both the quality of Scottish football and Celtic. After all, Celtic went further in Europe this season than Burnley, and where did Jamie Vardy play before becoming a Premier League winner and England international with Leicester City ?

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 02:17, south_tyne said:

So the big question...... who do you want? Rodgers? Benitez? Lennon? I see Mr Alladyce has thrown his hat into the ring too..... :laugh_mini:

I don't know why Benítez is being mentioned in that?  :scratchhead:

The guy has won more than most PL clubs have in their entire history.

Champions League. Two Europa/UEFA Cups. Two La Liga. FA Cup. Italian Cup. World Club Championship and a few minor trophies.

Jason

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, caradoc said:

I think that is a little unfair, on both the quality of Scottish football and Celtic. After all, Celtic went further in Europe this season than Burnley, and where did Jamie Vardy play before becoming a Premier League winner and England international with Leicester City ?

I understand your point, and I am certainly not intending to decry or mock the Scottish game. After all, I watch National League and Northern League football every week and love it! Quality does not automatically bring entertainment and certainly doesn't ensure excitement. Look at the Man Utd/Liverpool and League Cup Final games at the weekend. 

However, a major obstacle against Celtic pushing on in Europe is the quality of the oppostion on a week by week basis. There's that old cliche that 'there's no easy games in the Premier League'. Same can be said of the Championship. It's not the case in the SPL though and Celtic can cruise through some games and don't have to be 100% every week to win the league. Celtic can match anyone on their day, and have done in recent years in Europe, but that consistency of performance only comes with regular, competitive games where you are tested each week. I'm not saying I agree, it's just a thought, but would Celtic not be better tested and play a higher standard of football if they were in English Championship? Again, I'm not advocating that could happen, or indeed have any personal desire for it to, but it would probably n n tougher test. The attritional nature of the Championship, the Saturday/Tuesday treadmill, definitely builds resilience. 

On the Europe point, I certainly agree. Although it's only a decade or since since both Celtic and Rangers reached a UEFA Cup final. I would say that kind of progress is much less likely at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I don't know why Benítez is being mentioned in that?  :scratchhead:

The guy has won more than most PL clubs have in their entire history.

Champions League. Two Europa/UEFA Cups. Two La Liga. FA Cup. Italian Cup. World Club Championship and a few minor trophies.

Jason

Totally agree but there were very strong rumours for months up here on Tyneside that Leicester were going to go after him. Ultimately, Newcastle have an elite level Champions League manager but the team is nowhere near that level. Toon fans I speak with know they are extremely luck to have him at their club and love the man. However, his contract is up at the end of the season and if he doesn't get the backing from Mr Ashley, or alternatively the club is not sold, then I cannot see him sticking around. Clubs much higher up the pecking order will be considering him. He has been very loyal and has a great rapport with the fans but there will only be so much he can take, with Newcastle being such a basket case from an ownership and structure point of view.......

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Celtic are maybe a Championship team and the rest equivalent to League 1 and League 2.

Recent results wouldn't really support that.  In season 2012/13 Hearts held Liverpool to a 1-1 draw at Anfield, having lost 1-0 at Tynecastle.  Then in 2016/7 Celtic drew 3-3 with Manchester City in Glasgow, and then drew the return match 1-1.  Also in that season Aberdeen drew 1-1 with Burnley at Pittodrie but lost the return 3-1 after extra time.

DT

• RMweb Premium

I see that poor old Fort William played their home match against league leaders Brora Rangers today and duly lost 11 - 0.  The Fort are bottom of the Highland League with no wins, 187 goals conceded in 26 games, and, to add insult to injury, a points deduction means that they have accumulated minus 7 points this season.

DT

• Agree 1

Well Mr Lennon got off to a winning start last night. Good luck to him for the rest of season! 

9 hours ago, Torper said:

I see that poor old Fort William played their home match against league leaders Brora Rangers today and duly lost 11 - 0.  The Fort are bottom of the Highland League with no wins, 187 goals conceded in 26 games, and, to add insult to injury, a points deduction means that they have accumulated minus 7 points this season.

DT

I know... poor old Fort William, this 'form' has continued for a number of years. Last time I looked at the table, Lossiemouth were not doing too much better mind! 

Interesting couple of nights in  the Premier League this week. Important win for Southampton last night but I would be increasingly concerned if I was a Brighton fan. It looks like that last relegation spot will be between those two and Cardiff.  

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

I know... poor old Fort William, this 'form' has continued for a number of years. Last time I looked at the table, Lossiemouth were not doing too much better mind! 

Lossiemouth have actually won a couple of matches this season (both against The Fort)  and are second bottom of the league with 7 points, 14 better than the Fort's minus 7.  I must say that I take my hat off to the people who play for, support and work (usually on a voluntary basis) for small and not very successful teams like these.  There's no glory, no finacial reward, just the love of the game and the team.  That's what I, in my admittedly very old fashioned way, call real football.

DT

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Yesterday's Merseyside derby was an interesting game but I thought it was fairly low on quality. The amount of times the ball was given away was staggering - lots of sloppy passes. I would say a draw was a fair result overall. Everton certainly matched up. All to do for Liverpool now...... the momentum is definitely with Man City.

Mind I am beginning to think I am a jinx...... I don't have Sky but sometimes go to a family members to watch the odd live game. The last three I have chosen - Liverpool/Bayern Munich, the League Cup Final !and yesterday's game - have all ended as 0-0 draws!! Please someone just score a goal. I won't tell anyone which game I pick next!! :laugh_mini:

Losing starts for new managers in Rodgers and Parker, although Fulham seemed to play an awful lot better from listening on the radio. Leicester would have picked up a good point too, against a very tidy Watford team, if it hadn't been for the goalie's hash of a clearance at the death. Hopefully Foxes fans are feeling more positive. 

The excitement in the Championship continues unabated mind! By all accounts Leeds were absolutely fantastic on Friday night but Norwich then stepped up to the mark again the following day. It's going to be an absolutely fascinating run in! Sadly my second team, poor old Ipswich, are sinking without much fight....

Also, a massive amount of respect for the 2,000 Plymouth fans who made the epic journey up to Sunderland on Saturday! You deserve a medal - what a wonderful show of support and I hope you enjoyed your time in the North East despite the result :good_mini:

Against all the odds given the shambles off the pitch, another great away win for my boys too. So overall a good weekend all round!

Edited by south_tyne
Spelling

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Yesterday's Merseyside derby was an interesting game but I thought it was fairly low on quality. The amount of times the ball was given away was staggering - lots of sloppy passes. I would say a draw was a fair result overall. Everton certainly matched up. All to do for Liverpool now...... the momentum is definitely with Man City.

Mind I am beginning to think I am a jinx...... I don't have Sky but sometimes go to a family members to watch the odd live game. The last three I have chosen - Liverpool/Bayern Munich, the League Cup Final !and yesterday's game - have all ended as 0-0 draws!! Please someone just score a goal. I won't tell anyone which game I pick next!! :laugh_mini:

Losing starts for new managers in Rodgers and Parker, although Fulham seemed to play an awful lot better from listening on the radio. Leicester would have picked up a good point too, against a very tidy Watford team, if it hadn't been for the goalie's hash of a clearance at the death. Hopefully Foxes fans are feeling more positive. 

The excitement in the Championship continues unabated mind! By all accounts Leeds were absolutely fantastic on Friday night but Norwich then stepped up to the mark again the following day. It's going to be an absolutely fascinating run in! Sadly my second team, poor old Ipswich, are sinking without much fight....

Also, a massive amount of respect for the 2,000 Plymouth fans who made the epic journey up to Sunderland on Saturday! You deserve a medal - what a wonderful show of support and I hope you enjoyed your time in the North East despite the result :good_mini:

Against all the odds given the shambles off the pitch, another great away win for my boys too. So overall a good weekend all round!

Pleased to get a draw, even 0-0 which, of course, should have been the result at Anfield too but for a moment of Pickford madness.

Not quite sure that we fully deserved it, but we certainly showed plenty of spirit which has been a bit lacking in other matches.

• Like 1

Just.

Give.

Him.

The.

Job.

I don't care if we don't win 'stuff', what I do want is to be entertained, I want to see kids come through the ranks and make a name for themselves, I want to see someone who gets the club and its support......Games like tonight whilst not the ultimate in technical skill are why I'm a United fan, erm, well that and my Grandad taking me as a four year old........ 

I also have a dislike for PSG so that's even better.... now who do we want next......winners of Porto v Roma please....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, cary hill said:

I'm dreading the introduction of VAR in the Premiership based on what I've seen tonight .......a totally ludicrous penalty award this evening.

I assume you're talking about the VAR decided penalty at the end of the Porto v Roma game?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Whilst you may not want to win "stuff", RD, most of your fellow fans do, you wouldn't have such a large fan base if they played entertaining football but never won anything! Having said that he seems a decent choice as long as you and the owners give him time, something none of the recent managers have had.

• RMweb Gold

I know that new managers coming into a club often have a bit of a honeymoon period, but Man U's record since O-G S arrived is truly remarkable. Perhaps he's just lucky but I am sure the fans will settle for that.

Certainly a bit of luck yesterday with the VAR. That was a truly shocking decision.

It would appear it is only a matter of time before Solskjær is given the job permanently. However, listening to chat on the radio, there are obviously some complex legal hoops and procedures to jump through before it can be completed. I wouldn't be surprised if it I sorted behind the scenes well before a public announcement is made. 

I feel sorry for Molde but, unfortunately money talks in football and there is no way that they will be able to stand in the way of Solskjær and Man Utd if this is to become a permanent arrangement. I hope they get handsomely compensated mind for losing their man mind. I am sure u majority of Molde fans will be pleased for him, particularly once the dust has settled, but it is another example of the big boys swooping in and picking off lesser teams. As a suporter of a National League club, I am all too aware of this scenario. I suppose it is just a reflection of the football hierarchy! 

Anyway, big well done to Man Utd on the pitch last night. They did an amazing job to turn the tie round.

Performance of the week mind has to go to Ajax! Absolutely stunning result to slay Real Madrid. It is great to see them back in the big time and going toe to how with the big lads, despite having a miniscule budget compared to many and really equivalent to a lower and Premier League or Champion club over here. It is undoubtedly a nostalgia thing, but it is fantastic for them and Dutch football (although maybe not Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven fans!). I grew up with the wonderful Ajax team of the mid '90s, so have happy memories of watching them and love to see them do well. I expect that feeling will be even stronger for those who saw the amazing team of the 1970s that won those three European Cups.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I know that new managers coming into a club often have a bit of a honeymoon period, but Man U's record since O-G S arrived is truly remarkable. Perhaps he's just lucky but I am sure the fans will settle for that.

The players had got rid of their ogre... There's plenty of talent in the side but they just didn't like Jose so gave up playing for him... Seen all too often these days, Player Rule...

For most of the players it probably wasn’t a conscious decision to not play for Jose.

More likely he sucked the life and joy out of playing and once the atmosphere became joyless, no amount of extra individual effort would have been able to lift the team, or extract the sort of individual performances many of the players are evidently capable of.

Without team spirit, positivity, steely determination and most importantly pure fun, there’s no chance of any success.

• Agree 1