RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, cary hill said:

Our very own mad little Napoleon continues to plot his own downfall at the KingPower, but I'm getting worried because he might take my club down with him, although i'm hoping we can "accidentally" pick up  the six or so points we need to stay up and avoid being another club that "blows up" in the second half of the season and ends up getting relegated from the Prem. 

The team's performances, especially at home, are beginning to match Puel's passionless incoherent press performances far too closely for my liking. We have now lost four successive home games with little sign of arresting the direction of travel.

Apparently we had 65% possession  and 27 goal attempts this evening, most of them pathetic in terms of direction and power (only 5 on target and one goal) , to Palace's 7 goal attempts (5 on target and 4 goals). Whatever is wrong with the team at both ends of the pitch Puel clearly can't fix it and I was still bored at the game with little sense that we  would actually manage to score.

Never mind we go again on Tuesday against Brighton, another one of the many mediocre PremIership teams that we should  have a good chance of beating at home,  but I fear the "Puel Revolution" has transformed Leicester into a very poor team at home in the Premiership these days with his incessant team and tactical chopping and changing and bizarre substitutions.

..no need to worry (much), he's gone!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43942584

Kev.

3 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Bit annoyed that there are not even any highlights on terrestrial TV stations. Ah well, roll on youtube...

Probably because, other than the fans of the two clubs, not that many are that interested.

Number one daughter, put in a part time shift at the pub at a local small local shopping centre near us, this lunchtime and afternoon.

Asked if she had been busy at work today, she reported it was quite packed earlier this afternoon for the MU v LPL match.

She said everyone left at the end of the match and it was almost empty when the cashcow cup match was being aired later on, with nobody watching the game.

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Hobby said:

Bit annoyed that there are not even any highlights on terrestrial TV stations. Ah well, roll on youtube...

To be honest I think they would have struggled to make a highlights show! It was deadly :laugh_mini: I endured 90 minutes and sacked it off. Listened to the remainder on the radio, just as background noise. Definitely not a classic. 

As an aside regarding highlights, I love it when Shearer and Gullit appear together on MOTD. Best of friend now guys..... obviously with Chappers in between as the mediator :rofl:

Edited by south_tyne

Whilst I hear what you are saying, Ron, there are still a lot of fans out there for both teams, probably more for Chelsea than City but still a lot who would have wanted to watch it... I think the time probably had more to do with it... I wonder if the times for the two matches would have been reversed whether the Lpl/Utd match would have had quite as many punters in the pubs as they did for the earlier kick off, I've often been in a pub at tea time at a weekend and hardly anyone has been watching the match... Tea time is a stupid time to put on a football match anyhow. 3pm should be the default, especially for cup finals... but that's TV money for you, stuff the fans...

They did show the interesting bits on Sky Sports New which we have so i got to see the big row and most of the penalties, perhaps that was enough based on South Tyne's comments!

Both matches nil all draws as well, I think Pep was more pleased with the results than Klopp, though...

On 24/02/2019 at 11:14, cary hill said:

It's a game earlier than I expected ..........cue all the " be careful what you wish for " comments .......should never have sacked Ranieri etc etc.....

So the big question...... who do you want? Rodgers? Benitez? Lennon? I see Mr Alladyce has thrown his hat into the ring too..... :laugh_mini:

I would be surprised if Rodgers went, he's getting success and European football experience where he is, when he's ready for a move he'll want to go somewhere where he'll be guaranteed to carry on with that, and with respect to Leicester City and their fans, they aren't an obvious choice...

Looks as though Brendan Rodgers will be the next Leicester Manager, been given permission to talk to the club, has done all that he can at Celtic with the budget that they can provide him with (rumour that he has fallen out with the board) and is probably sick of the sectarian stuff that despite everyone's best intentions still goes on.

Jim

If Rogers has any personal ambition he should jump at the opportunity. Let's face it he has achieved all he is going to at Celtic; they're never going to push in in Europe given the lack of money available but it looks as though they will win the SPL at a canter again. 

Leicester still have a good squad of players. They're obviously a powerful group though so it will be interesting to see how he handles them. 

8 hours ago, south_tyne said:

So the big question...... who do you want? Rodgers? Benitez? Lennon? I see Mr Alladyce has thrown his hat into the ring too..... :laugh_mini:

It looks like it could be Brendan Rogers :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47368961

I wouldn't be averse to that appointment  if it comes off, as  he seems to like to give young talent a chance, which by the end of his tenure was the only plus point of Puel.

The bar would be set quite low for him - a comfortable top half finish, decent cup runs and some entertaining football.

1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Neil Lennon in as caretaker at Parkhead until the end of the season, Steven Gerrard better get himself a gum shield:D

Boxing gloves at the ready! Lennon comes across as a really decent, well considered bloke when I hear him on the radio...... some magic switch just seems to get flicked when he gets near a football pitch and he transforms into a maniac! :laugh_mini:

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, cary hill said:

It looks like it could be Brendan Rogers :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47368961

I wouldn't be averse to that appointment  if it comes off, as  he seems to like to give young talent a chance, which by the end of his tenure was the only plus point of Puel.

The bar would be set quite low for him - a comfortable top half finish, decent cup runs and some entertaining football.

Well you should get more expansive football under him if nothing else. Getting the balance right between counter-attacking and being more proactive is obviously going to be the issue. As is keeping Jamie Vardy onside..... it appears he wields a lot of influence in the dressing room. 

Player power seems to be the way of things these days... If they don't like the Manager's tactics (or don't even like the manager!) they just throw their toys out of the pram and know that the club will sack them manager and they'll continue to earn obscene sums of money whilst doing their own thing... The tail wagging the dog...

Wonder how many more managers will be sacrificed before someone says that enough's enough... 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Isn't Mourinho available too?

:blush:

25 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Player power seems to be the way of things these days... If they don't like the Manager's tactics (or don't even like the manager!) they just throw their toys out of the pram and know that the club will sack them manager and they'll continue to earn obscene sums of money whilst doing their own thing... The tail wagging the dog...

Wonder how many more managers will be sacrificed before someone says that enough's enough... 

Very true. Chelsea are the ultimate example; the manager (or more accurately coach) is almost despensible and seen as transient, a figure just passing through. The players and director of football etc are there for the longer term and hold all the power. It's a situation that has existed in Spain and Italy for a lot longer mind but is increasingly likely to be prevalent in the British game too.

I suppose the only silver lining as a manager is that, at the top-end of the game, you will get a good compensation pay out when you get the sack. 

34 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

Well you should get more expansive football under him if nothing else. Getting the balance right between counter-attacking and being more proactive is obviously going to be the issue. As is keeping Jamie Vardy onside..... it appears he wields a lot of influence in the dressing room. 

The amount of influence that Vardy wields is a bit unhealthy these days, but he and Schmeichel are more or less the only regulars left from the 2016 "Old Guard Immortals" left to "rock the boat". With hindsight it was probably a mistake to give Vardy such a long contract as his "legs" could go at any minute and then he will be nothing special.

Luckily Brighton left their shooting boots either on the coach or back home in Brighton tonight, because Leicester fielded the same team as on Saturday and could have suffered another embarrassing home defeat.

Brendan Rodgers has at least had the chance to see the size of the task ahead of him.

Having thought about his rapid appointment, I'm beginning to think that Rodgers was already lined up as a summer replacement for Puel and that process has just been bought forward.

"I'll give my life to make the supporters proud of their club." (B. Rodgers) that's a good starting sound bite.........

13 hours ago, cary hill said:

The amount of influence that Vardy wields is a bit unhealthy these days, but he and Schmeichel are more or less the only regulars left from the 2016 "Old Guard Immortals" left to "rock the boat". With hindsight it was probably a mistake to give Vardy such a long contract as his "legs" could go at any minute and then he will be nothing special.

Very true. Vardy's game hinges on his pace and dynamism but that isn't going to last forever. I imagine Rodgers will be tasked with moving the club forward and gradually evolving the style of play. Then again so was Puel and the players obviously contributed to his downfall. I would say he hasn't got the players at the moment to play the kind of game he did at Liverpool so it will be interesting to see the transition. I haven't seen anything of Celtic so I don't know whether he has employed a a similar style up there. Both sides are clearly in it for the long haul mind given the length of the contract.