RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, cary hill said:

.... mind you having three centre backs marking a non existent centre forward doesn't help

A classic Dutch football strategy. I remember a game like that when I was playing in France (the opposition coach was Dutch).

• RMweb Premium

Oh well. Pompey managed to lose at home to Peterborough last night and throw away a chance at automatic promotion. Cannot catch Barnsley or an off-the-boil Luton now. Sunderland will be pretty cross as they did the same against Fleetwood (although they were unlikely to get automatic promotion, being two points behind Pompey). I suppose I should be grateful we aren't staring at relegation this season...

24 minutes ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Oh well. Pompey managed to lose at home to Peterborough last night and throw away a chance at automatic promotion. Cannot catch Barnsley or an off-the-boil Luton now. Sunderland will be pretty cross as they did the same against Fleetwood (although they were unlikely to get automatic promotion, being two points behind Pompey). I suppose I should be grateful we aren't staring at relegation this season...

I know, Sunderland threw it away too. I supoose the only advantage is that both sides can focus solely on the play-offs now. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see a repeat of the Check-a-Trade Trophy final at Wembley in a few weeks time. One massive club is going to miss out though. Charlton have a great record against the top teams in the division this season though so could be really dangerous...... 

• RMweb Premium

If the table stays as it is (i.e. we stay in 3rd and Sunderland 4th), then that is a distinct possibility. Wary of Charlton though, and Peterborough will get in the play-offs should Doncaster falter.

My own team is now on the brink. A rogue owner who has run the club into the ground. Manager and most of the staff have been sacked, one player left contracted, no home, with rumours abounding that he wants to relocate the club to Kingston Park (in Newcastle) and that he has asked for the club to be relegated. All this turmoil after a miraculous season on the pitch, when we finished 9th in the National League against all the odds. Sad sad times...... 

For anyone who is interested, there is a summary of how things have gone spectacularly wrong available to read hear: 

https://mobile.twitter.com/MickScully7/status/1122590107662454789

It's just heart breaking... :cray_mini2:

• Friendly/supportive 7

So sorry to hear this; rogue owners are a curse on the modern game, and the sooner they are kicked out of the game, the better. When you think of all the great clubs ruined, it makes you want to weep!

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, 62613 said:

So sorry to hear this; rogue owners are a curse on the modern game, and the sooner they are kicked out of the game, the better. When you think of all the great clubs ruined, it makes you want to weep!

the goings on at Bury make sobering reading liable for a £1.6million bill to hmrc and other creditors payable by the end of the month with an expected income of some £180k over the same time period makes one wonder if despite there promotion last night will they survive looks like season ticket money may go to make up some of this enormous debt but then one wonders what the club plan to survive on over the rest of the closed season ?

• Friendly/supportive 2

18 hours ago, 62613 said:

It looks like it is all over sadly :cray_mini2: On a more positive note, the supporters club met last night and, following the discussion, there was agreement that a new club will be formed. Clearly there is a well-trodden path for establishment of phoenix clubs and we can learn from the experiences of Darlington, Hereford, Halifax et al

So the writing is on the wall...... You have given me some joy, lots of pain, huge frustrations, but some wonderful moments that I will remember for the rest of my days!

If it is the end, RIP to the Super Heed Army......

Edited by south_tyne
Spelling
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 hours ago, south_tyne said:

It looks like it is all over sadly :cray_mini2: On a more positive note, the supporters club met last night and, following the discussion, there was agreement that a new club will be formed. Clearly there is a well-trodden path for establishment of phoenix clubs and we can learn from the experiences of Darlington, Hereford, Halifax et al

So the writing is on the wall...... You have given me some joy, lots of pain, huge frustrations, but some wonderful moments that I will remember for the rest of my days!

If it is the end, RIP to the Super Heed Army......

If a new club is formed, would it be fan - owned; and I wonder what level it would be admitted at; Northern League, or one of the regional NPL divisions?

Good luck, anyway!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 62613 said:

If a new club is formed, would it be fan - owned; and I wonder what level it would be admitted at; Northern League, or one of the regional NPL divisions?

Good luck, anyway!

Yes. The wheels are already in motion... http://www.gfcsoul.co.uk/2019/05/statement-from-gateshead-fc-soul/

The hope is that we can enter the pyramid in Northern League Division 1 (that's where Darlo went back in). There is an awful lot to do over the next few months but the intention is that there will be a football club playing in Gateshead next season. 

Edited by south_tyne
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 30/04/2019 at 23:24, brenn said:

Spurs were always going to find this a game to far Ajax will win the CL....hungry young things always have there day...get your money on them now!! 

Nah, they'll wipe the floor with Ajax in the return leg...

looks like the saga at Bolton continues with the deal with basini now off and league saying that if they slip into administration next tuesdays re arranged game v Brentford may not have to take place .brentford fans advised to wait untill sunday to finalise any travel arrangments .the pfa have stepped in to pay players wages understand its police and stewarding bill preventing fans in the stadium 

• Friendly/supportive 3

4 minutes ago, peanuts said:

looks like the saga at Bolton continues with the deal with basini now off and league saying that if they slip into administration next tuesdays re arranged game v Brentford may not have to take place .brentford fans advised to wait untill sunday to finalise any travel arrangments .the pfa have stepped in to pay players wages understand its police and stewarding bill preventing fans in the stadium 

It is shambolic. Honestly, with him, I simply think it is a case of our of the frying pan and into the fire. Both him and Ken Anderson are charlatans. I've just heard an interview with Bassini and he claims to be in control of the club! I really feel for Bolton fans, they are stuck better the devil and the deep blue sea. Like the owner of my own club, and so many others - see Charlton, Bury, Oldham etc (the list is endless), - these rogues are running clubs into the ground. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

A massive 'well done' to Spennymoor who won their first play-off game in the week and now play Brackley in the next stage. For a team from a small town in County Durham to be within touching distance of the National League is an absolutely fantastic achievement. They have come so far in such a short space of time; it is not that long since they went bust and couldn't play at home, but their recent rise from the Northern League, through the NPL, to the Conference North has been miraculous. Haway the Moors! A positive football story for a change! 

Edited by south_tyne
Silly spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

5 hours ago, south_tyne said:

It is shambolic. Honestly, with him, I simply think it is a case of our of the frying pan and into the fire. Both him and Ken Anderson are charlatans. I've just heard an interview with Bassini and he claims to be in control of the club! I really feel for Bolton fans, they are stuck better the devil and the deep blue sea. Like the owner of my own club, and so many others - see Charlton, Bury, Oldham etc (the list is endless), - these rogues are running clubs into the ground. 

now see tuesdays game is not to be played and Brentford have been awarded the three points does not bode well for Bolton are we about to see a larger club go bump and will this be a wake up call to the football authoritys to make the fit & proper persons test just that not just a nod through after a bu.. sorry bond has been paid .happening throughout the game far to often 

Edited by peanuts
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, EddieB said:

Nah, they'll wipe the floor with Ajax in the return leg...

Arhhh...don't think so......your going to have to go some to beat them but if you do Garys going to be a real trouble in his box:)

1 hour ago, peanuts said:

now see tuesdays game is not to be played and Brentford have been awarded the three points does not bode well for Bolton are we about to see a larger club go bump and will this be a wake up call to the football authoritys to make the fit & proper persons test just that not just a nod through after a bu.. sorry bond has been paid .happening throughout the game far to often 

Big clubs have been going bust for years; Just think of Leeds and Luton in the early 00s, and Pompey about 10 years ago. The Pompey case was particularly bad, with the club being used as a vehicle for money-laundering; this can be a problem for any football club, given the due diligence that does, or doesn't happen on change of ownership

47 minutes ago, brenn said:

Arhhh...don't think so......your going to have to go some to beat them but if you do Garys going to be a real trouble in his box:)

My pun was wasted...

image.png.0eec45aa1f768815c7483a8539b7b97b.png

Edited by EddieB
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/05/2019 at 15:51, south_tyne said:

Yes. The wheels are already in motion... http://www.gfcsoul.co.uk/2019/05/statement-from-gateshead-fc-soul/

The hope is that we can enter the pyramid in Northern League Division 1 (that's where Darlo went back in). There is an awful lot to do over the next few months but the intention is that there will be a football club playing in Gateshead next season. 

I wish you all the best in setting up a new Gateshead fan owned club for next season , what ever league you find yourselves in your be a big part of YOUR club. 

In 2005 I left MUFC and became a supporter/owner of FCUM in the Northwest Counties div 2 , loved everything I saw and have been part of the journey ever since, so good luck in getting the ball rolling .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 62613 said:

Big clubs have been going bust for years; Just think of Leeds and Luton in the early 00s, and Pompey about 10 years ago. The Pompey case was particularly bad, with the club being used as a vehicle for money-laundering; this can be a problem for any football club, given the due diligence that does, or doesn't happen on change of ownership

There is a website called Twohundredpercent, which has interesting reviews and comments on the situations at Bolton, Bury and Gateshead

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, peanuts said:

are we about to see a larger club go bump and will this be a wake up call to the football authoritys

I agree with that. There is publicity when smaller clubs have gone to the wall but it so quickly forgotten. Darlington, Hereford, Halifax.... the impact was felt severely in their own communities but the ripple effects were not lasting beyond. I think only if a 'big club' goes busy, one in the Premier League or Championship, will the football establishment do anything about the ownership issue and make changes. I hope for the Bolton fans same it isn't them, but it is the only way I can see the Football League and FA acting. 

1 hour ago, 62613 said:

Whilst I understand your point, being pedantic, Leeds, Portsmouth and Luton didn't go busy and have to drop out the league and start again near to the bottom of the pyramid. Darlington, Hereford and Kettering (as examples) did.

If I recall correctly, only Accrington and Aldershot have dropped out the league mid-season. The aforementioned Spennymoor, went bust in the NPL and those opponents in the remaining fixtures were simply awarded three points. This season, North Ferriby's record has simply been expunged. 

I still think some unfortunate 'big club' will have to be the sacrificial lamb for change to happen.....

1 hour ago, D.Platt said:

I wish you all the best in setting up a new Gateshead fan owned club for next season , what ever league you find yourselves in your be a big part of YOUR club. 

In 2005 I left MUFC and became a supporter/owner of FCUM in the Northwest Counties div 2 , loved everything I saw and have been part of the journey ever since, so good luck in getting the ball rolling .

Thank you. It is going to be a long road, but your right, it is our chance to take ownership and responsibility for our club. We need a football club in our town and one we can be proud out. The heart and soul has systematically been ripped out of Gateshead over the last 18 months or so. Just five years ago we were at Wembley and only lost by the odd goal to Cambridge on the play-off final, falling at the final hurdle on our mission to get back into the Football League, a road we have been on since failing to be re-elected in 1960. It is very sad state of affairs but we have to look forward now. We have two months to embed everything sorted, acquire a squad of players and hopefully gain admittance to the Northern League. One thing is for sure, it's not going to be boring! 

We may only get 700 or so at the moment but we still have a hard-core of dedicated folk who are determined to keep the club going. The plight of Gateshead may be inconsequential to the majority of football fans in the Sky Sports and Premier League multi-million pound era, hardly even raising a passing mention, but to a local community, who love our football club, it means everything. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Football will be a loser if clubs like Gateshead disappear, being quiet new to non league football I do wonder how a lot of clubs survive on the gates they have, we have just been relegated from the NPL ( proper club now ) because we had a budget and had to stay with it, I am amazed at the number of clubs in that league that are full time !

Ok they have ambitions or ambitious owners and that can lead financial ruin, maybe all leagues should introduce rules regarding how much debt is allowed, something like what’s being applied to the championship league.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 62613 said:

Well Chelsea almost went bust in the 1980s.

I wonder if their setup with the Chelsea Pitch Owners and the naming rights to the club, has wider merit?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Pitch_Owners

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Football will be a loser if clubs like Gateshead disappear, being quiet new to non league football I do wonder how a lot of clubs survive on the gates they have, we have just been relegated from the NPL ( proper club now ) because we had a budget and had to stay with it, I am amazed at the number of clubs in that league that are full time !

Ok they have ambitions or ambitious owners and that can lead financial ruin, maybe all leagues should introduce rules regarding how much debt is allowed, something like what’s being applied to the championship league.

It is bizarre because the professional game has crept further down the pyramid, with sides in the NPL having full-time players, if not whole squads at that level, but it cannot really be sustainable. A few years ago the prediction was that there would be less professional clubs, with some 3rd and 4th Division teams reverting to semi-pro status. In reality that would seem sensible given the shortage of money in the non-league game and the number of struggling clubs in the Football League. Paradoxically, there are now more full-time clubs and players than ever before. 

We have had a real problem in attracting players in recent years; part of that is due to geography but it is also true that the best non-league players in the North East would rather play for a Spennymoor, Darlington, South Shields or Blyth than Gateshead. The reason is that can play semi-pro in the Conference North and NPL and earn a good wage, then can supplement that with other work, be that football coaching or a 'normal' job. Therefore, they can earn more than playing full-time as a professional for Gateshead. One of the terrible decisions the current and previous owners made at our club in the last couple of years was implementing 40-week rather than 52-week contracts. Another thing that has done for us in attracting and retaining players. So 'professional' in name but not really in practice. 

Anecdotally, I remember seeing Salford City at Spennymoor in the NPL around 5 or 6 years ago and Danny Webber (ex-Man Utd) was playing for them. The rumour was he was on £800 a week - puts things in perspective as no player at Gateshead in the National League would be on that. Some of the National League clubs around London can remain part-time because there is simply a far bigger look of players available to them. Although I am always sceptical about the difference between part- and full-time clubs at our level; I think he lines are quite blurred. 

There is a fine line between ambition and recklessness. For every Fleetwood and Forest Green Rovers there is a Rushden and Diamonds, Darlington, Gretna or, going back much further, Colne Dynamoes. I don't know what the answer is because the FFP rules ultimately help the biggest teams and punish smaller ones which show some ambition. However, there has to be a way of ensuring that investment is sustainable and does not risk the future of a club. What we need is lots of owners like Dale Vince at FGR - sensible, straightfoward, honest, ethical, community-based and focused people who support their local club. Rogue owners riding roughshod over fans are nothing new though, think Robert Maxwell - Thames Valley Royals anyone? Sadly, folk like Mr Vince don't grow on trees and those who get involved with football clubs tend to be shady characters like Mr Bassini, the Oyston's, Roland Duchatelet and, extremely close to my heart, George Reynolds (the crook who ruined Darlo) and our very own Dr Varghese (public enemy number one at Gateshead). These are guys who run our clubs into the ground and wreck generations of common memories and deprive communities of future dreams....... 

PS - apologies for rambling on, I obviously needed to get that off my chest! :blush_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2