The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

I've always thought it to be a League Title and the FA Cup. 

Agreed. That was always the holy grail as achieved by Bill Nicholson's Tottenham. Granted it probably had its basis in the days before English teams took the European Cup seriously (those pesky foreigners, we invented the game, we'll show them, with the bigoted Stanley Rous attitude.... em yes that was sensible.... sorry rant over). 

The old European Cup was just as difficult to win but in a different kind of way to the modern Champions League. There was more parity across the board then, with there not being such a massive disparity between the various leagues pre-1990s. Critically, the travelling and time, climatic, cultural and dietry variations had so much more impact on the players then. Still the CL is the pinnacle of world football now and the competition is fierce. The endless group games do give far more wriggle room for error and bad days than straight knock-out two legged ties though. For any Premier League team to achieve the league and CL double is a monumental achievement, hence why it has just been done the once. 

Edited by south_tyne
Rubbish spelling
  • Agree 2

Pinnacle of world "club" football I think, not so sure about world football, we have enough of the EPL being pushed as that as well!

You will note I said "a" league title, as the FA Cup is open to all FA leagues that's still a possibility that a club could win one of the lower leagues and the FA Cup... Now that would be an achievement!

Well, regardless of how this season concludes, I've renewed my season ticket for next season, taking advantage of my age and an early bird offer it has cost me the princely sum of £149.

Should my beloved Bluebirds survive the drop, that will equate to less than £8 per home game, but if we succumb it will work out at little more than £6.50 per home game in the Championship.

With the family having a row of six seats, this equates to a railway modelling day out, with some football thrown in.

fingers crossed we can spoil Liverpool's party this Sunday.

Well, regardless of how this season concludes, I've renewed my season ticket for next season, taking advantage of my age and an early bird offer it has cost me the princely sum of £149.

Should my beloved Bluebirds survive the drop, that will equate to less than £8 per home game, but if we succumb it will work out at little more than £6.50 per home game in the Championship.

With the family having a row of six seats, this equates to a railway modelling day out, with some football thrown in.

fingers crossed we can spoil Liverpool's party this Sunday.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 06/04/2019 at 17:55, south_tyne said:

Well it looks like Man City are on course for that quadruple....

Made me laugh this morning as I've been away on a golf trip and was catching up....Still saw the game though...:dance_mini:

Niggled me that they kept saying it was the first time Spurs had made the semi final. Seems they forgot we played Benfica in 1962. I was there...

Maybe they've drawn a line between the European Cup and the Champions League.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Hobby said:

Pinnacle of world "club" football I think, not so sure about world football

I would stick by that. The football in the Champions League is of a higher quality than international football. That may at one time have been the peak but it's certainly not now. It's just my opinion but Barcelona v Liverpool, from a pure standard of football and technical quality of game point of view, will trump any international football we will see this year. 

I agree with you on the Premier League though.... It annoys me too. The PL is exciting, fast and furious but technically behind La Liga and probably Serie A. Quality doesn't always mean entertainment though (he says as a supporter of a national league club) and given the choice I would rather watch the Championship over the Premier League any way of the week. 

15 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Made me laugh this morning as I've been away on a golf trip and was catching up....Still saw the game though...:dance_mini:

Niggled me that they kept saying it was the first time Spurs had made the semi final. Seems they forgot we played Benfica in 1962 and I was there...

Maybe they've drawn a line between the European Cup and the Champions League.

It drives me insane too, all these ridiculous statements and 'facts' about football that are bandied about by those smart folk that think that football was invented in 1992! Evidently anything before then doesn't count...... grrr! 

It will be interesting to see how Man City react when the play Spurs again in the league. I must admit, despite being a neutral, I was really pleased that Tottenham went through in the CL. They were so brave in the way they approach approached the game and deserved to go through. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, br2975 said:

Should my beloved Bluebirds survive the drop, that will equate to less than £8 per home game, but if we succumb it will work out at little more than £6.50 per home game in the Championship

That's fantastic value! Cardiff should be applauded by keeping prices realistic and manageable. I won't tell you how much my season ticket costs in the National League. Needless to say it is a lot more than that...... :fool:

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Agreed. That was always the holy grail as achieved by Bill Nicholson's Tottenham. Granted it probably had its basis in the days before English teams took the European Cup seriously (those pesky foreigners, we invented the game, we'll show them, with the bigoted Stanley Rous attitude.... em yes that was sensible.... sorry rant over). 

The old European Cup was just as difficult to win but in a different kind of way to the modern Champions League. There was more parity across the board then, with there not being such a massive disparity between the various leagues pre-1990s. Critically, the travelling and time, climatic, cultural and dietry variations had so much more impact on the players then. Still the CL is the pinnacle of world football now and the competition is fierce. The endless group games do give far more wriggle room for error and bad days than straight knock-out two legged ties though. For any Premier League team to achieve the league and CL double is a monumental achievement, hence why it has just been done the once. 

As a Spurs man since 1958, your post brought back great memories of Tottenham in the 60's....:good_mini:

Apologies for my pedantry, but didn't Utd do the Premier League/Champions League double twice? 1998/99 and 2007/8.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gordon s said:

As a Spurs man since 1958, your post brought back great memories of Tottenham in the 60's....:good_mini:

Apologies for my pedantry, but didn't Utd do the Premier League/Champions League double twice? 1998/99 and 2007/8.

Glad it brought back happy memories :good_mini: It's before my time but I have done an awful lot of reading about the European Cup and those magical mid-week ties under the floodlights. Wonderful teams such as Ajax, St Etienne, Borussia Mönchengladbach, Torino, Dynamo Kiev, the list goes on and on.

You are right, thanks for correcting me and it's certainly not pedantic! I doubted myself as soon as I posted that...... a schoolboy error, what a dafty I am!  

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Glad it brought back happy memories :good_mini: It's before my time but I have done an awful lot of reading about the European Cup and those magical mid-week ties under the floodlights. Wonderful teams such as Ajax, St Etienne, Borussia Mönchengladbach, Torino, Dynamo Kiev, the list goes on and on.

You are right, thanks for correcting me and it's certainly not pedantic! I doubted myself as soon as I posted that...... a schoolboy error, what a dafty I am!  

That's 'cos' the Heed won t'day!!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

That's 'cos' the Heed won t'day!!!!

Ha ha I know, it has made me delirious! We continue to perform miracles on the pitch!! So proud of the lads!!

Huge game for Berwick today at Clyde. Fingers-crossed for a good result; they desperately need it as time and games are running out...... Next Saturday is the showdown with Albion - it is likely to be a 'winner takes all' scenario. The tension will be immense. 

Edited by south_tyne
Tiredness...
  • Like 1

What will happen if they are relegated? Will they try to stay in the Scottish non league or transfer to the local NE non league... Wouldn't have thought that the Scots want to lose them, it's always been a bit of a selling point for them...

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

What will happen if they are relegated? Will they try to stay in the Scottish non league or transfer to the local NE non league... Wouldn't have thought that the Scots want to lose them, it's always been a bit of a selling point for them...

The team that finishes bottom of League Two plays in a game against the winner of a play-off match between the champions of the Highland League and Lowland League. Since it was introduced a few years ago, only once has the 'lower' team won, when Edinburgh City defeated East Stirlingshire and replaced them in the league. 

As for where Berwick would go, they would be relegated into the Lowland League in the Scottish football pyramid. They have been affiliated to the Scottish FA since 1905 and entered the league in 1951.

There is no question of them playing in the English non-league system. The travelling would be epic and they are much better off playing in Scotland from a geographical point of view. Bear in mind that it's at least an hour to Newcastle, on the terrible road that is the A1. Even if they were to go into the Northern League, they would have to travel to Northallerton, Guisborough etc. If they were in the Northern Premier League in the step above they would be playing games way down into the Midlands. 

Having said that, in Scottish League Two they have to travel to Peterhead and Elgin, so it's all relative! Ultimately, geography is not Berwicks friend!! 

Last time I heard anything about it, I understand Rangers actually train in Edinburgh during the week, so all links are in a northerly direction. Heaven forbid they do drop out of the League, all the games would be within a more manageable travelling distance in the Central Belt. 

All of this is a ridiculously long and waffly way of saying, they would be relegated to the Lowland League, if they lost the play-off against the Highland/Lowland League winner - likely to be Cove Rangers v East Kilbride. Fingers-crossed it doesn't get to that stage though!

Edited by south_tyne
Clarification
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

14 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Huge game for Berwick today.....

Approaching half-time and Berwick are trailing whilst Albion are drawing. A long way to go obviously but the anxiety will be continuing to grow..... :nea_mini:

• RMweb Gold

What would happen if, through the various playoffs, Cove Rangers were promoted to replace Berwick?  Wouldn't that leave the Highland and Lowland Leagues with an odd number of sides?

21 minutes ago, BoD said:

What would happen if, through the various playoffs, Cove Rangers were promoted to replace Berwick?  Wouldn't that leave the Highland and Lowland Leagues with an odd number of sides?

I'm not really sure, but leagues at that level do sometimes operate with an odd number of teams. It would probably be impossible to re-jig between the two leagues so I imagine they would just run with an odd number of teams. Added to that, it's not uncommon for teams to drop out at the end of season so the numbers issue can often solve itself. It's certainly happened in the Northern League in recent years. 

Actually there was the bizarre situation a couple of years ago whereby the Highland League winner did not want to go up into the Scottish League. However they still had to go through the process of playing the play-off game even though they were adamant they didn't want to be promoted. In the end they lost the tie but it shows some of the problems that can arise for teams. They would have then had to travel to Berwick and Annan, which would probably be unsustainable. Off the top of me head I cannot remember who it was, but it could have been Brora Rangers? I'm probably wrong though! 

2 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Approaching half-time and Berwick are trailing whilst Albion are drawing. A long way to go obviously but the anxiety will be continuing to grow..... :nea_mini:

Oh dear it got worse :sorry: Rangers are in real trouble now. The game next saturday is absolutely massive! 

1 hour ago, BoD said:

I think you are correct.  It was Brora's owner who said that he/they wouldn't be able to afford it.

Thanks for confirming. You can certainly understand his point of view.

• RMweb Premium

A constant problem for regionalised leagues. A few years ago Lowestoft Town won promotion via the play-offs from the Isthmian Premier and, much to their disappointment and protests, were placed in the National League North. It isn't just that the teams at the edge of the country like Lowestoft and Truro have long distances to travel but it isn't too popular with their opponents who have to make the journeys to play them.

Nice problem coming up for the National League in that all four teams being relegated are very firmly from the South, none of them is even North of the Thames! I foresee a bit of shuffling going on between National League North and South.

David 

Edited by DavidLong
Can't spell Isthmian!
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, DavidLong said:

A constant problem for regionalised leagues. A few years ago Lowestoft Town won promotion via the play-offs from the Isthmian Premier and, much to their disappointment and protests, were placed in the National League North. It isn't just that the teams at the edge of the country like Lowestoft and Truro have long distances to travel but it isn't too popular with their opponents who have to make the journeys to play them.

Nice problem coming up for the National League in that all four teams being relegated are very firmly from the South, none of them is even North of the Thames! I foresee a bit of shuffling going on between National League North and South.

David 

I know the National League has become increasingly southern-heavy in recent years and not only that but lots of teams on the far side of London. Dover, Eastleigh, Ebbsfleet, Woking, Aldershot, Maidenhead.... the list goes on. You can understand why it is difficult for outliers such as ourselves and Barrow. Having said that, no doubt they will hate travelling up to Gateshead! 

The Lowestoft situation was silly but difficult to resolve. I used to go regularly when I was working down in Suffolk and it is a smashing little club. However, to be frank and from personal experience, ANYWHERE is a long way from Lowestoft! It takes so long long to get across to the A1 before you then start getting anywhere else. Travelling to Workington and Colwyn Bay etc was daft. But then again, being in the Conference South would have meant going to Truro, Weymouth.... I don't know what the answer is. Lowestoft have obviously dropped down now, to a level where it is more sustainable. If I remember rightly, Kings Lynn had a spell in the Northern Premier League a while ago. 

We really stuggle up here with that isolation up here but the recent restructure at Northern Premier League level has helped somewhat and will hopefully be of greater benefit as time moves on. 

I rarely sympathise with the FA, and the blazers that run football, but it is so difficult to balance and get right. Ultimately, the increasing polarisation and bias of football towards the south,  and particularly the south east, just reflects society...... economically, culturally, socially..... we are being left behind :sorry_mini:

34 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

Oh, the joys of football. We lose at home to Southampton, Bournemouth and Cardiff then manage a draw at Wolves, a point I didn't expect. It would be nice though if we managed to at least score a goal between now and the end of the season........

You must be putting your eggs in the Newcastle basket as the winnable game? 

2 hours ago, south_tyne said:

You must be putting your eggs in the Newcastle basket as the winnable game? 

Luckily goal difference is worth a point so Cardiff will need to at least secure a win and a draw to overtake us but results can be bizarre at this end of the season, last season I thought we were goners looking at the last few fixtures but then we got a point off Spurs and beat Man U but realistically Newcastle looks the only winnable game on paper. Squeaky bum time ;)

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

Luckily goal difference is worth a point so Cardiff will need to at least secure a win and a draw to overtake us but results can be bizarre at this end of the season, last season I thought we were goners looking at the last few fixtures but then we got a point off Spurs and beat Man U but realistically Newcastle looks the only winnable game on paper. Squeaky bum time ;)

Well I hope we can give you a hand tomorrow! 

No offence to Cardiff but I'll be happy to see the back of Colin (AKA Neil Warnock). Can't stand the man.

Jason

• Agree 1