The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

19 hours ago, south_tyne said:

And vice-versa, they would follow the border-hopping Gretna in dropping out the league (althoughfor different circumstances). They played in the Northern Premier League before jumping over to the Scottish league structure. Sadly it all ended in disaster when Mr Mileson died :sorry_mini: He also generously sposored the Northern League for years, through a lifetime deal, which, again, obviously came to an end. Now we have Ebac to be thankful for supporting North East non-league football :good_mini:

Talking of Gretna, I once heard a story that the reason that Mileson bought Gretna was to try and get Carlisle United into the Scottish Premier League.  The idea was that Carlisle were struggling badly at the time having been relegated from the Football League and were in grave danger of liquidation.  Allegedly Mileson had the idea that if Carlisle went bust, he would buy Brunton Park and move Gretna there, once that was done, he would rename Gretna as Carlisle United.  Of course his plan went belly up when Carlisle United recovered financially and got back into the league.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Talking of Gretna, I once heard a story that the reason that Mileson bought Gretna was to try and get Carlisle United into the Scottish Premier League.  The idea was that Carlisle were struggling badly at the time having been relegated from the Football League and were in grave danger of liquidation.  Allegedly Mileson had the idea that if Carlisle went bust, he would buy Brunton Park and move Gretna there, once that was done, he would rename Gretna as Carlisle United.  Of course his plan went belly up when Carlisle United recovered financially and got back into the league.

That brings back (horrible) memories of Robert Maxwell's plan to merge Oxford United and Reading as the 'Thames Valley Royals'. Thankfully that scheme sank without trace too, much like (allegedly) Mr Maxwell himself.

5 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

From my understanding that is true. Mileson was actually from Sunderland, hence being very involved in the Northern League. Evidently the 'contract' for his lifetime sponsorship was written on a beer mat :laugh_mini:

• Thanks 1

OK I know this will seem a dumb question, even by my standards, but where do we find Football Focus these days? Can't find it in Wheeltappers and the only way I can get onto it is by spotting a post that someone has recently made and joining from there. 

On 26/04/2019 at 09:41, Gareth Collier said:

Arsenal should be ok as they're playing my rabble in a couple of weeks and as we haven't managed to scored for 7 matches they just need a goal....

UP THE HAMMERS :)

• Agree 1

Congratulations to Leyton Orient! Really chuffed to see you promoted back to the Football League. It's been great to share with your fans on your visits to Gateshead but you're back where you belong now. Hopefully onwards and upwards for your club. 

41 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

Fulham do us a massive favour then we probably manage to produce the worst first half of football in living memory but thankfully it only resulted in conceding one. Trouble is with no goals for 7 matches I don't rate our chances of an equaliser overly high let alone a winner :(

You're almost there now. I have been listening on the radio and you were clearly shocking in the first half but a little better after the break. The point, and a first goal for almost two months(!!), is the most important thing though. 

I think all Brighton fans will be sending their thanks to the Fulham goalie after his worldy performance in the last 15 minutes!! 

Realistically Cardiff are faced with the daunting prospect of winning both of their remaining games but it would be nice if our old friends Palace could do us a favour ;)

If Cardiff had upped the pace a bit earlier in today's match the Fulham goalie may not have managed to keep them out.

Still far too stressful, I hate football........

As the Liverpool players trooped out of the Cardiff City stadium, I approached Mo.Salah and asked;

Me:- "can I have your autograph please ?"

Salah:- " I haven't got a pen"

Me:- "I'll get one"

With that I threw myself to the floor and rolled around, bursting into tears.

Salah:- "What are you doing, that won't get you a pen"

Me:- Well it works for you ! "

Edited by br2975
  • Funny 9

1 hour ago, br2975 said:

As the Liverpool players trooped out of the Cardiff City stadium, I approached Mo.Salah and asked;

Me:- "can I have your autograph please ?"

Salah:- " I haven't got a pen"

Me:- "I'll get one"

With that I threw myself to the floor and rolled around, bursting into tears.

Salah:- "What are you doing, that won't get you a pen"

Me:- Well it works for you ! "

Thats funny :mocking_mini::unsureclear::unsureclear: Harsh,but funny :lol::lol:

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Well that opens up 3rd & 4th spots further. Well done.

yeah they blew the bubbles......like Wolves with us the other night better team on the day....and Spurs will drop more points....Great run in this...and Chelsea win will bang them in with a change of 3rd too

2 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Realistically Cardiff are faced with the daunting prospect of winning both of their remaining games but it would be nice if our old friends Palace could do us a favour ;)

If Cardiff had upped the pace a bit earlier in today's match the Fulham goalie may not have managed to keep them out.

If Brighton play like they did against Spurs ( eg only in their own half) you got no chance of a favour

2 hours ago, brenn said:

If Brighton play like they did against Spurs ( eg only in their own half) you got no chance of a favour

All of my fellow supporters are resigned to Championship football next season.

Today, at Fulham, Warnock 's weird and wonderful selection was a grave mistake, compounded by a team that didn't nothing until they were a goal down.

4 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

We hate football....... we love football..... we hate football!! Why do we put ourselves through this!?! :pardon_mini:

16 minutes ago, br2975 said:

All of my fellow supporters are resigned to Championship football next season.

Today, at Fulham, Warnock 's weird and wonderful selection was a grave mistake, compounded by a team that didn't nothing until they were a goal down.

You have put in one hell of an effort but it looks like you will fall short. However, there is life outside the top flight and it will be back to the rollercoaster ride of the Championship. Will that wily old fox Mr Warnock relish one last challenge? 

The advantage you will have, see Huddersfield too, is that you haven't spent ridiculous amounts on transfers and wages, so should be in a more sustainable position as you attempt to bounce back, especially with the benefit of parachute payments. I would imagine you will be able to keep the nucleus of the squad together too. Cardiff haven't risked the future of the club and thrown everything into the Premier League basket. Fulham on the other hand have spent big and gambled but to no avail. They are stuck with a squad of players on big wages, some of whom they will struggle to shift on. 

Finally good luck to 'our' non-league teams who will embark on the play-offs as soon as next week.... so I will be cheering on Spennymoor and South Shields for promotion. Blyth are also in there too and, if Spenny aren't going to do it then, I might even think of backing you lot........ well maybe!! :laugh_mini:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, south_tyne said:

The advantage you will have, see Huddersfield too, is that you haven't spent ridiculous amounts on transfers and wages, so should be in a more sustainable position as you attempt to bounce back, especially with the benefit of parachute payments. I would imagine you will be able to keep the nucleus of the squad together too. Cardiff haven't risked the future of the club and thrown everything into the Premier League basket. Fulham on the other hand have spent big and gambled but to no avail. They are stuck with a squad of players on big wages, some of whom they will struggle to shift on. 

That's the "Burnley Theorem", bounce up and down a few times, don't spend any money, then after a number of attempts when you've got enough money in the bank spend some of it on players who can keep you up there.

Mike.

PS. Congratulations to the mighty Blades, back where we belong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That's the "Burnley Theorem", bounce up and down a few times, don't spend any money, then after a number of attempts when you've got enough money in the bank spend some of it on players who can keep you up there.

Mike.

PS. Congratulations to the mighty Blades, back where we belong.

Burnley are a good model to follow, approaching it in a sensible way. Of course Wolves are the other model, if you have plenty of cash. Neither guarantees success though. 

Well done to Sheffield Utd, it's been an epic battle with Leeds, particularly over the last six weeks or so. I would like them to go up via the play-offs mind, mainly because I would love to see Bielsa in the Premier League. Congratulations to Norwich too - whilst it is begrudging, especially given the contrast with Ipswich's fortunes, I must admit they have been absolutely outstanding this season. 

• Like 2