RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

On 28/04/2019 at 16:19, kevinlms said:

You will still be 3rd if Chelsea win*, so please can we have the 3 points and keep United out of it!

*Unless by a silly score! 

Come on Bournmouth!!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

It is bizarre because the professional game has crept further down the pyramid, with sides in the NPL having full-time players, if not whole squads at that level, but it cannot really be sustainable. A few years ago the prediction was that there would be less professional clubs, with some 3rd and 4th Division teams reverting to semi-pro status. In reality that would seem sensible given the shortage of money in the non-league game and the number of struggling clubs in the Football League. Paradoxically, there are now more full-time clubs and players than ever before. 

We have had a real problem in attracting players in recent years; part of that is due to geography but it is also true that the best non-league players in the North East would rather play for a Spennymoor, Darlington, South Shields or Blyth than Gateshead. The reason is that can play semi-pro in the Conference North and NPL and earn a good wage, then can supplement that with other work, be that football coaching or a 'normal' job. Therefore, they can earn more than playing full-time as a professional for Gateshead. One of the terrible decisions the current and previous owners made at our club in the last couple of years was implementing 40-week rather than 52-week contracts. Another thing that has done for us in attracting and retaining players. So 'professional' in name but not really in practice. 

Anecdotally, I remember seeing Salford City at Spennymoor in the NPL around 5 or 6 years ago and Danny Webber (ex-Man Utd) was playing for them. The rumour was he was on £800 a week - puts things in perspective as no player at Gateshead in the National League would be on that. Some of the National League clubs around London can remain part-time because there is simply a far bigger look of players available to them. Although I am always sceptical about the difference between part- and full-time clubs at our level; I think he lines are quite blurred. 

There is a fine line between ambition and recklessness. For every Fleetwood and Forest Green Rovers there is a Rushden and Diamonds, Darlington, Gretna or, going back much further, Colne Dynamoes. I don't know what the answer is because the FFP rules ultimately help the biggest teams and punish smaller ones which show some ambition. However, there has to be a way of ensuring that investment is sustainable and does not risk the future of a club. What we need is lots of owners like Dale Vince at FGR - sensible, straightfoward, honest, ethical, community-based and focused people who support their local club. Rogue owners riding roughshod over fans are nothing new though, think Robert Maxwell - Thames Valley Royals anyone? Sadly, folk like Mr Vince don't grow on trees and those who get involved with football clubs tend to be shady characters like Mr Bassini, the Oyston's, Roland Duchatelet and, extremely close to my heart, George Reynolds (the crook who ruined Darlo) and our very own Dr Varghese (public enemy number one at Gateshead). These are guys who run our clubs into the ground and wreck generations of common memories and deprive communities of future dreams....... 

PS - apologies for rambling on, I obviously needed to get that off my chest! :blush_mini:

In your list of rogues, you failed to mention that serial club-crasher, Steven Vaughan. 

Edited by 62613
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, brenn said:

Come on Bournemouth!!!

Indeed!

Time for Huddersfield to have a win! Brighton too, but I guess for both to win is wishful thinking.

16 minutes ago, 62613 said:

In your list of rogues, you failed to mention that serial club-crasher, Steven Vaughan. 

Very true. I just don't know why these people want to get involved with football clubs and often keep on coming back. What we need is to clone hundreds of Dale Vince's to run clubs up and down the land.......

There are all sorts of rumours concerning Vaughan; one is that he was using the clubs as money-laundering vehicles; some of which came from the carousel fraud for which he was eventually convicted.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, kevinlms said:

Tick!

Good call.

i was sitting with 3 Spurs fans for most of the game.....well that went well...until the Man Utd mad landlord came out and said " i hope Spurs draw this"...BOOM GOAL......near death experience followed as i jumped up and shouted 

Funny Spurs always do this they go mad and want to fighr....Dyer was so lucky not to get a red card....you can't really argue with both sending offs........both straight reds. Having said that 9 man Spurs played well and were unlucky not to draw.......Makes for a great final day...Come on the Toffees.....

So Berwick will play Cove Rangers in the big relegation play-off to see who will be playing in the Scottish League next season. Massive game and could and nearly 70 years of league status for Berwick. First leg up in the Highlands next weekend. 

Commiserations to South Shields who lost to Warrington this afternoon in their NPL play-off. It has still been a fantastic season for The Mariners though and there were 2,300 there this afternoon, which is incredible. Home attendances regularly topped 2,000 this season and they have oftrn been taking 400 away from home. Despite the disappointment of falling at this late hurdle, Shields are a club really going places. 

Finally, good luck to The Moors tomorrow against Brackley!

2 hours ago, 62613 said:

The usual end of season tripe at Boundary Park!

no peter clarke defence a shambles expect more of the same without him next season strong indications hes not being offered a new contract due to fall out with the new director of football (abdallahs  brother ) absolout lunacy but then expect nothing less from the clowns in charge 

3 hours ago, peanuts said:

West Ham United ladies are in the FA Cup Final today. Come on you ironers!

Watching it they ran out of steam in the second half... Puts the pressure on the men's team, though, the women have won the League and FA cups but the men now need to win the FA cup to level it out... Though they could beat the women by winning the treble!

• RMweb Premium

Salford’s accounts for last year in the NPL showed a £32000 per week loss !! I would imagine that will have treble this current season, all well and good till the class of 92 get bored with their toy , all be it it’s not their money being lost. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/05/2019 at 20:54, kevinlms said:

Indeed!

Time for Huddersfield to have a win! Brighton too, but I guess for both to win is wishful thinking.

As 68 minutes, very happy!

16 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Salford’s accounts for last year in the NPL showed a £32000 per week loss !! I would imagine that will have treble this current season, all well and good till the class of 92 get bored with their toy , all be it it’s not their money being lost. 

That's the danger isn't it. Although I knew they couldn't be a sustainable operation, I am shocked at those figures, the scale of the losses is obscene. I have nothing against the Salford fans at all, but something about the way the owners have gone about investing in the club does rankle with me somewhat. I wish them no ill will at all, but they have become the Man Utd of the non-league game (obvious metaphor there I know). If they do win this afternoon, the final against Fylde should be interesting next Saturday. 

After a bit of chopping and changing it ended up being a case of 'as you were' in the Championship. I was really pleased that Ipswich finished off with a win and the Portman Road faithful could have a small positive at the end of what has been an absolutely terrible season. Time to wipe the slate clean, regroup and start again for the assault in League One. It is going to be tough, Sunderland have certainly found that, but a squad of young, hungry players might be a real good thing in the third tier. Add a few older, experienced heads over the summer and hopefully there is a good chance of bouncing back first time. Whether that is with or without Paul Lambert remains to be seen at the moment, but the noises from him personally are that he wants to stay to rectify this horror season. 

1 hour ago, Gareth Collier said:

At least I can now sit and watch the Brighton match in a less stressed state. Commiserations to Cardiff.

Do you think Hughton will still be there next season? 

Well done Spenny - what an absolutely fantastic achievement!! Just one last push now, Altrincham to play in the final. Both semi-final ties won on penalties, what drama!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, south_tyne said:

That's the danger isn't it. Although I knew they couldn't be a sustainable operation, I am shocked at those figures, the scale of the losses is obscene. I have nothing against the Salford fans at all, but something about the way the owners have gone about investing in the club does rankle with me somewhat. I wish them no ill will at all, but they have become the Man Utd of the non-league game (obvious metaphor there I know). If they do win this afternoon, the final against Fylde should be interesting next Saturday.

Fylde are hardly paragons of virtue in the sugar daddy stakes; less than ten seasons go, they were Kirkham and Wesham, playing at a ground behind a pub in the middle of the Fylde countryside, in a league outside the non-league pyramid (West Lancashire League, ISTR) at step seven. I believe that things like pay on the turnstile are done with there.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, 62613 said:

Fylde are hardly paragons of virtue in the sugar daddy stakes; less than ten seasons go, they were Kirkham and Wesham, playing at a ground behind a pub in the middle of the Fylde countryside, in a league outside the non-league pyramid (West Lancashire League, ISTR) at step seven. I believe that things like pay on the turnstile are done with there.

Very true. I have hazy recollection that Kirkham and Wesham did well in the FA Vase in the past, maybe even won it? I am probably completely wrong mind!

Most clubs that have had a rapid ascent up the pyramid have a few skeletons in the cupboard. We can go back to the days of Colne Dynamoes to see that success often means controversy and a degree of ill-will and bad feeling from established clubs. Ultimately you can't please everybody!