The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

So Chelsea will appoint their 7th manager in as many years !!!

What a complete and utter disgrace - I just wish the Hammers could tempt (and afford) someone of Ancelotti's ability, 2nd in the Championship would suit me fine this time next year!

Also, a decent manager might a) clear out the obvious dead wood and B) persuade the better players, especially those who came through WHU's academy, to give it at least one season to try for promotion before jumping ship.

Shame about Blackpool - they really put smiles on faces with their style of play and Holloway came over as a really likeable bloke and a good manager. As a neutral I was rooting for them on Sunday, but had the feeling that ultimately they'd lose, even when they were 2-1 up. As Claude says, I have to say well done Man U for making a proper game of it on the day.

• RMweb Premium

Well the sacking of Ancelloti has to take the biscuit. His henious crime was to only finish 2nd in the premiership. Oh dear Oh dear. How i wish loads of bad luck on Chelsea for the future. NOT to their fans though, its not their fault a mega rich idiot bought their club.

Exactly right. As a Chelsea fan it is most disappointing to have a spoilt brat owning the club, who imposes expensive but unwanted players onto his managers and then blames the manager for lack of the right results. It ought to be about team performance & not individual egos.

As much as it pains me, Man Utd has a much better set up, where the owners leave the team performance to those who know what the're doing. The Glaziers might be milking the club dry, but at least they have the results for them to be able to milk dry.

Kevin Martin

Kevin, incidentally, the Glazers (they don't install windows) may be milking Utd, but they aren't milking the club dry. Quite the reverse, the club's profits are growing year on year and the debt they incurred on the club's holding company (money borrowed to buy the club) has been reduced significantly. Meanwhile, United continue to pile money into their cash reserves and contingency funds.

However, back to the topic, you're right. The set-up for sustained success is down to stability and taking the long view. The Ruskies "I WANT IT NOW" approach may buy instant results now and then, but ultimately he's wasting his money carrying on this way.

On another note; well done to Man Utd's Academy youth team. Last night they won the FA Youth Cup final for a record 10th time.

Last nights second leg of the final was a pulsating match with a very high level of football from both teams (Sheffield Utd were the other finalists) and much better quality than some of the league play-offs seen so far.

I'm becoming a Peterborough fan over the weekend...! Despite beating the Posh 1-5 and 3-1 this year, Charlton never quite got there in the league, and full credit to my mate Nick for taking it all on the chin and not exacting some revenge when the final results came in! :drinks:

Of course, some might say, by taking me to the play off on Sunday, he will get his revenge...! :laugh:

I'm becoming a Peterborough fan over the weekend...! Despite beating the Posh 1-5 and 3-1 this year, Charlton never quite got there in the league, and full credit to my mate Nick for taking it all on the chin and not exacting some revenge when the final results came in! :drinks:

Of course, some might say, by taking me to the play off on Sunday, he will get his revenge...! :laugh:

Ah well, least you get to see a decent ground. As of yesterday Huddersfield had sold 31,000 tickets and realistically expect to sell out. Was thinking of going but I'm not going to get chance now. Reckon Town are on a roll, hope they manage it as thy've got a brilliant set up at the Galpharm.

Lot on this weekend in Manchester, two play off finals then the little matter of a parade for no 19 and if by any chance things go our way on Saturday night, it was a bit busy in 1999

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rbE_W1gzCo

I didn't get to see it in 1999, still on the way back from Barcelona, not even bothered trying for a ticket this time, silly prices, demand is unbelievable, I know one guy flying in from California for the game, he's not had any problems getting tickets, then again when you're a university lecturer and oine of your students is a Glazer offspring............

No reds in Manchester..............

World Cup Footy question:

Q: How did FIFA get its name?

A: 'cos there's a "fee" for this, and a "fee" for that....

....allegedly. :lol:

So Chelsea will appoint their 7th manager in as many years !!!

It's almost like the bad old days of Italian Government....

Anyway enough of this congratulating the neighbours. Now to next season, apparently Liverpool are 12/1 to win the 2011-12 Premiership, for those of you that don't understand betting odds that means for every £10 you put on, you lose £10.......................:D

I see a similar betting system was in place last night for those who bet on a united win!!!

mark

• Like 1

Well done Barca!

I don't think I've seen a match in recent years where Man Utd have been so completely outclassed by someone. Fabulous skill, fabulous goals and a fabulous game. Also be fair the one chance that Utd did make thay scored.

Don't know whether I'm gracious (re post above) but the better team most definitely won!

Boogy

There must be someone out there gracious enough to say the better team, on the day, won.

Rob

There was only one team on the pitch after the first 15mins. And Barca weren't anywhere near their best yesterday… they should have scored five or six. I've watched them week-in, week out for about six years and the last team that I saw play such rivetting football (although of a completely different type) was Brazil's 1970 World Cup team.

At least Rooney's back earning his wages after a year 'sabbatical', which is more than could be said for Valencia who had a shocker and in my opinion was lucky still to be on the pitch when he finally received his yellow card.

I was hoping at least one Man U fan would come on and post a comment, any comment good or bad, on their teams performance.

Rob

Believe it or not, we do occasionally have other things to do....................

Outclassed, simple as that, best team won. It shows beyond any doubt that a 'team' grows, rather than is put together, although you've got to say Barcelona have at the moment got an exceptional amount of home grown talent.

As to United, well, proves pretty much what I've been saying all season, midfield is not good enough, it'll do the majority of the time but against the very best you'll come unstuck.

So, Fergie strenghtens hopefully, and we move on, 3 Champions league finals in 4 years, 4 titles in 5 years, the empires crumbling.... :yes: .

Can't win 'em all, so now it's time to play catchup in Europe, not just United but the rest of Europe, 'cos Barcelona beat the second best team in Spain convicingly, the best team in England (who beat the second best....), the fourth best in England etc etc.

Congratulations to FCB, worthy winners and certainly amongst the best club sides ever produced.

• RMweb Premium

Good on you Red Devil, my faith in real football fans is restored :yes: . As you say, you can't win them all, it'd be nice for WHU to have won a few more though. :cry: But as Lauro' keeps saying on MOTD "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" and I'm sure it will.

Rob

West Ham beat Man United 4-0, whereas Barcelona could only manage 3-1. Therefore, we're better than Barca yahoo.gif

Won the world cup in 66, Champions league in 11, all with a bunch of clowns in charge and in a relegation season..........:D

As one who has never (literally or metaphorically) followed the crowd, I was disappointed at Accrington Stanley's failure to secure promotion to FL1. I had been looking forward to saying to my brother in law - whose team has been relegated to FL1 - (adopts scouse accent) "Well, your team's only good enough to play against Accrington Shtanley!" Maybe next season...

Well, today I traveled from Sidcup to Manchester, and watched Peterborough win a rather exciting play-off final against Huddersfield Town, to win promotion to the Championship for the second time in three seasons. Thoroughly deserved, though I reckon Huddersfield had the better of the first half, and failed to take their chances.

Nothing will beat the play-off final of '97/98, mind... ;)

Well done the Posh, good luck for next year!

I was hoping at least one Man U fan would come on and post a comment, any comment good or bad, on their teams performance.

Like Red Devil, I've been busy too, but for what it's worth....

I think most United fans knew that the chances of winning were not that great and if there was going to be a successful result, it would need a really top performance from United and for Barcelona to stutter. Some hope.

It says something that we went into this match as the underdogs for once; something that is quite rare for United, normally being favourites or given an even chance.

Barcelona are an exceptional team, probably one of the all-time greats, as demonstrated by both their domestic results in La Liga and those in the Champions league. The way they dispatched Real Madrid in the Semi's says it all.

They finished 4 points above Real Madrid in the league, but the gulf between those two and the rest meant Barca ended up 25 points above the 3rd placed club and 34 points above the 4th place club.

As SAF has said, it is only fitting that they are crowned Champions of Europe.

Personally, I'm not as dejected by the outcome of this match, as I was two years ago, when they beat us in the final in Rome. In that game, although Barca were a very good side, United gave the game away with the bizarre team selection, loss of Darren Fletcher (who at the time was in the form of his life), very poor tactics and some terrible individual player performances. If they'd the formation and tactics that they employed in the quarter and semi-final, let alone the EPL, they could and should have won. However the end result was a disaster and IMHO flattered Barcelona.

This time round it was completely different. Over the last two years I think most will agree that Barca have improved and taken their game to a higher level. They are "unplayable".

As for United, the defeat should clearly put the spotlight on the problems the team has been harbouring for a number of years; namely their weaknesses in central midfield and the increasing age of some of their players.

United's midfield problems have been evident for a few seasons and are getting more acute as players get older, but somehow, overall team performance and gritty determination have got us through.

Up to now, the subject of age has mostly related to the survivors of the "class of 92", namely Messrs Scholes, Giggs and Neville (G), the latter now having retired. Discussion about the impending retirement of the other two is ongoing.

However, it seems to have escaped the notice of the press and pundits (and possibly many fans), that over half the squad has now reached the tender age of 30 and are to become veritable geriatrics, in footballing terms.

The failure to replace those two legends may have created a backlog where another 10 players will also need replacing between now and the next two or three years.

I expect changes will now begin to happen.

p.s. Apologies to those who are not United fans, or have no interest, but for those who may be interested, here is a list of those players....

Ryan Giggs - 37 (38 early next season)

Paul Scholes - 36 (37 early next season)

Rio Ferdinand - 33 this year (and becoming injury prone)

Wes Brown - 32 this year (already a peripheral figure in the squad)

Patrice Evra - 30

Nemanja Vidic - 30 in 4 months time

John O'Shea - 30

Ji-Sung Park - 30

Michael Carrick - 30 in a few weeks time

Owen Hargreaves - 30 (just released after over 2 years injured kept him out of the team)

Michael Owen - 31 (signed on a free transfer as an spare striker, but probably being released)

Dimitar Berbatov - 30

My father-in-law is a united fan and has been making the same points all season relating to age etc, I was working and couldn't watch the match but surprised Giggs played with all his off-field problems, I agree you would expect him to be professional and perform to his best but you can't help but wonder where his mind is at the moment.

As pointed out though no-one would have beaten Barca but I did have a sneaky feeling that united would do it and did feel sorry for my friends and family who are united fans when they lost- just shows not to follow my hunches to the bookies dosn't it!!

Anyway look forward to next season already interesting to see who spends what money and hope blackpool bounce back!

mark

• Like 1

Taking Ron's point about the squad age at United, I agree to a certain point, however I do think that a number of the players he's listed replacements are pretty much already at the club, overall the squad is probably as large as it's ever been, unfortunately the first team midfield is not good enough.

Yonger players that wiil replace some of the older ones in the next couple of years,

Smalling,

Fabio Da Silva

Raphael Da Silva,

Wellbeck,

Cleverley,

Pogba,

Tunnicliffe,

Morrison, if he's not in Strangeways.

Pretty certain there'll be a few departures this close season, obviously, Van de Sar, Kuszak's going his replacement is already there in Lindegaard, looks increasingly like De Gea in for Van de Sar. Rumour is Ashley Young in in the next few days. Wes Brown possibly to Sunderland. Scholes could retire, don't know on that, Giggs and Owen one more year each would be my guess. We're also supposedly interested in Rapael Varane a young french centre back. Add in a couple of centre midfield players and I'll be happy.

Yonger players that wiil replace some of the older ones in the next couple of years,

Smalling, - what a find. I think most fans are impressed so far.

Fabio Da Silva

Raphael Da Silva,

....already becoming established players, but for the other defensive talent coming through (Gill, Brown ® etc), it may be too soon. De Laet will be back from his loan at Pompey, hopefully he's now ready for the 1st team squad.

Cleverley, - back from Wigan. Hopefully he's ready now.

Pogba, - obviously talented, but although big and strong at youth level, he's probably not strong enough for 1st team action just yet. Plus he's a bit too slow for my liking. Fingers crossed here.

Tunnicliffe,- one to watch. strong and powerful. Still only 18 and a couple of years off regular first team selection. I hope he makes it.

In front of those are Obertan and Bebe. Oh dear!

Clearly there needs to be a couple of experienced quality players brought in. Anderson needs to play alongside top players or he'll not improve, which will be a terrible waste of potential.

Morrison, if he's not in Strangeways. - what happened to the strict discipline? This boy needs taking in hand before it's too late.

Wellbeck, - A brief flourish at Sunderland before settling back as a bench warmer. Early signs of stepping up a notch seem to have subsided of late.

Don't forget Biram Diouf. Miles ahead of everyone else in the Reserves, a different class, however during his loan at Blackburn it's mostly been sub appearances. The sort of thing that can disillusion or ruin a player.

Josh King is another rising star.

Pretty certain there'll be a few departures this close season....

"....Rumour is Ashley Young in in the next few days". - I'm not sure where he fits in, but he will add much needed pace.

"....Scholes could retire, don't know on that", - It's crazy to keep prolonging his service. His class is still clearly evident, but he's way past being effective and is a liability on the pitch.

".....Giggs and Owen one more year each would be my guess". - Despite those recent amazing performances, Giggs has got to take a back seat now. Too slow and caught in possession too often. He'll be kept on, but for the best reasons, I'd rather he decides to retire.

I'd like to think Owen would be given another chance to feature, as and when, but his injury record has been poor. We'll have to wait and see if he's kept on. He's cheap to run, but he could be occupying a valuable squad place (limit on the squad numbers etc.).

Well done the Posh on gaining promotion (again), hopefully this time round there will be a bit more stability and rather more three-pointers. Departure of Craig Mackail-Smith is a worry though!

C6T.