The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Hull City 0 Blackpool 1

It's started again! Too early to say how these teams will fare for the rest of the season, both looked a bit rusty at times. 'pool actually have players moaning about having to take a pay cut due to getting relegated last season. What did they expect? With Karl Oyston as chairman I don't think we will be going into administration unable to pay the bills. Last season we had players on loan that were being paid more by their Championship clubs than Blackpool could pay them in the Prem. Sometimes I wonder if anyone plays for pride any more, or is it all about the money?

Is it worth asking for suggestions for the first manager to be sacked this season? It looks pretty wide open in the Prem this year. All I am sure of is it won't be Dalgleish or Fergie. I won't be surprised if Wenger has had enough and walks out at Arsenal. My prediction for the first chop is Steve Kean at Blackburn.

Geoff.

Delighted to see my home town club start with a win but we will have to sort out the central defence: Hull walked through it four times and we were lucky to get a point let alone three. It looks like there is Life After Adam and Ollie can get players to punch above their weight. There aren't as many footballing sides in the Championship this season, but an awful lot of effort, so lt's hope that the skill at the Seaside can make a difference.

As for Wenger, it's a question of whether he jumps before he's pushed. I reckon he'll be 'Spending more time with his family' by May.

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, what can I say as a lifleong Hammer except "well done Cardiff, you took your chance well".

Things can only get better (I hope).

Oh dear, what can I say as a lifleong Hammer except "well done Cardiff, you took your chance well".

Yes, going into the last few minutes it was almost inevitable after West Ham had made most of the previous chances and had more possession.

Hopefully they were just a bit nervous with all the expectation of favourites for promotion. There were too many aimless punts upfield though, and the quality of the midfield is such that they should be able to play it through on the floor, even if they lose Parker. Trouble is, there's not much potency up front when it does get there.

So Svens mighty revolution gets off to a winning start!!!!!!

A stunning win at Coventry, well ok we won 1-0, but it was a local derby and both sides were down to 10 men in the first half. But to be honest I don't care if we win 1-0 or 21-0, 3 points are 3 points.

Some strange results around with both Birmingham and West Ham losing, but I suppose they are going to take a couple of games for their Premiership Players to find their feet in the hard fought Championship. Blackpool winning wasn't that much of a surprise result actually, they still have most of the players that took them to the Premier League.

To me the biggest result of the day was the Southampton win over Leeds. I know Brighton won as well, but they were playing Doncaster who I believe will the be the strongest team in the Championship this season. ;) ;)

Ahh well only another 45 games to go!!!!!

Regards

Neal.

P.S. Well done to Tom Cleverley for getting picked for England, this kid has got oodles of talent, when he was on loan to us he ran rings round defences, we tried to sign him, but Fergie said no, I can see why now!!!!!!

My frustration with football is the amount of time the media waste on it and the apparent importance attached to the livestyle of some of it's participants.

In the long run it's only a game and there are more important things in life.

My frustration with football is the amount of time the media waste on it and the apparent importance attached to the livestyle of some of it's participants.

In the long run it's only a game and there are more important things in life.

There are plenty of people who would disagree, and professional football 'only a game'? Multi million pound business nowadays, perhaps, more's the pity.

Felt sick more than normal listening to managers like Arsene Wenger last night given the weeks events. Are these pampered blinkered individuals completely unaware that they are heros to many of the prats who caused so much damage last week and its time they stood up and admitted the thuggery of their even more so pampered and blinkered players who are so more hero worshipped.

I'm just rather tired of the top end football in general. I read updates of the Charlton players over the summer doing various forms of community work - if they can find the time to get their hands a bit dirty with their local community, how is it that players in the top flight can't?

But there again, I thoroughly enjoyed watching all the League 1 updates yesterday. More football being played and less sensationalism as a result. Barton, Pardew, Wenger and Gervinho need a reality check to be frank.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think the League Cup will always be viewed as an unwelcome distraction by certain clubs...mainly those who either wish to concentrate their resources on survival, or those with an already congested fixture list. Some clubs like it as it gives them a chance to blood some of their younger players, whilst for others it represents the only tangiable route to European football.

Apart from offering more prize money, I don't think there is any other way the competition could be more attractive to clubs...the winners get their place in Europe and some silverware.

For Warnock, I suspect it is a bit of both. I cannot imagine many fans would be too happy at their club being knocked out by Rochdale, and I'm sure many woudl welcome a trophy this season. The question for Warnock is whether or not survival is more important...after all, Birmingham won last year and have European football this season. Problem is they also have Championship football as well.

That said, I'm sure had QPR won his outlook may have been a little different!

Is this just sour grapes from Warnock??? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14643771.stm or does he have a point?? and how does the competition become 'revamped'???

I've never liked Neil Warnock (can't put my finger on a reason).

Albeit, QPR deserved their promotion to the Premiership.

But Cardiff got their own back - we let QPR have Jay Bothroyd.

Mark my words, when he does play, he'll spend half the game sat on his @rse, arms in the air shouting 'aww ref'

Good riddance.

Oh and the Tractor Boys, what did you do to deserve Michael Chopra ?

He'll score a few, but I bet the 'bookies' around Portman Road are rubbing their hands with glee as he approaches their door.

Swansea, Norwich, QPR all going out last night, almost preictable - "let's concentrate on staying in the premiership, without any distractions"

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

As for Wenger, it's a question of whether he jumps before he's pushed. I reckon he'll be 'Spending more time with his family' by May.

I don't know. I'm happy with his performance. The longer he puts off buying players he really does need, can only help other more deserving ambitious sides hold onto the top 4 places.

Kevin Martin

• RMweb Gold

I've never liked Neil Warnock (can't put my finger on a reason).

Albeit, QPR deserved their promotion to the Premiership.

But Cardiff got their own back - we let QPR have Jay Bothroyd.

Mark my words, when he does play, he'll spend half the game sat on his @rse, arms in the air shouting 'aww ref'

Good riddance.

Oh and the Tractor Boys, what did you do to deserve Michael Chopra ?

He'll score a few, but I bet the 'bookies' around Portman Road are rubbing their hands with glee as he approaches their door.

Swansea, Norwich, QPR all going out last night, almost preictable - "let's concentrate on staying in the premiership, without any distractions"

Brian R

This makes me laugh.If the so called big boys and premiership survivors are moaning its only the league cup the league is more important,I have some advice for them.Don't enter next year then.Problem solved.

If there are any Birmingham fans on here perhaps they can tell us if winning the Carling Cup was more important to them than staying in the Prem. I have to laugh at the big clubs that think it isn't important, wait until they reach the semi finals and there is a chance of some silverware. On slightly more serious note, do the clubs still have to pick from the 25 man squad for Carling Cup games, or can they field players from outside the 25?

Geoff.

It's reassuring to see my lot (Chelsea) near the top of the table, despite playing average at best - by their standards, anyhow.

Still, it was annoying to watch the highlights last night and see Ramires' tumble for the penalty. Yes, it probably was a foul - ust about - but boy did he take off and make the most of it. If I had any say in things, I'd get the Norwich goalkeeper's red card rescinded, and pass it on the diving attacker instead, but unfortunately, you get the likes of Alan Shearer on MOTD who will never criticise a striker for taking a tumble - they always see the foul.

Don't get me wrong - I know that strikers from all teams do the same, and in fact there's been a rash of diving already this season from just about every team. I'm just pointing out an incident from my own side so that no-one can accuse me of bias too early in the season! And anyway, the fact that everyone does it does not make it right - it makes it worse, in fact, and this sort of crap needs to be stamped on, quickly. Wishful thinking, though, I'm afraid...

That said, I'd say that Chelsea edged the game, just about, although Norwich are looking a pretty strong side for a newly-promoted team. The only side looking desperately poor at the moment are Blackburn, but even then, a lot of that seems to be down to bad luck, both with injuries and incidents on the pitch. Will they even have 11 fit players for the next match, let alone a full complement of substitutes?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking ominous for the rest with Man City demolishing Spurs 5-1 at White Hart Lane, and perhaps even more remarkably Man U smashing Arsenal 8-2 :O

Bad for Spurs; utter, utter humiliation for Arsenal and surely a message to Wenger that they are being totally outclassed and need to strengthen. If I was a Gooner I would be very worried indeed...

Manchester>London :sungum:

Arsenal don't look too clever at the minute, I know they have a lot missing, but that's embarrasing, I nearly felt sorry for Wegner then.

Wonder if we'll sign anyone before the transfer deadline?

• RMweb Gold

Manchester>London :sungum:

Arsenal don't look too clever at the minute, I know they have a lot missing, but that's embarrasing, I nearly felt sorry for Wegner then.

Wonder if we'll sign anyone before the transfer deadline?

Don't go too overboard as you weren't playing Barcelona now were you. :beee:

Don't go too overboard as you weren't playing Barcelona now were you. :beee:

Nah, we only tend to play them in the Champions league final, ok we might get beat but we don't tend to get hammered.

Don't see Arsenal challenging with that side, are Chelsea going to step it up? Liverpool and City, top 3 from the North west?

Nah, we only tend to play them in the Champions league final, ok we might get beat but we don't tend to get hammered.

Don't see Arsenal challenging with that side, are Chelsea going to step it up? Liverpool and City, top 3 from the North west?

Early days yet. Although as a Spurs fan i am quite concerned. Was realy down in the dumps earlier, BUT Arsenals massive result cheered me up no end. Feel sorry for Whinger ? Why?, I dont.. in this life you reap what you sow, you win nowt with kids i think is the saying. Although Utd aint doing bad. As for City, well if you can afford to assemble a mass of world class players, even paying £25 million for a player you can get for free in 9 months time. Then one would expect them to win every time. I'm afraid Spurs, along with most others, just can't compete with that financial clout.

Early days yet. Although as a Spurs fan i am quite concerned. Was realy down in the dumps earlier, BUT Arsenals massive result cheered me up no end. Feel sorry for Whinger ? Why?, I dont.. in this life you reap what you sow, you win nowt with kids i think is the saying. Although Utd aint doing bad. As for City, well if you can afford to assemble a mass of world class players, even paying £25 million for a player you can get for free in 9 months time. Then one would expect them to win every time. I'm afraid Spurs, along with most others, just can't compete with that financial clout.

Agreed, very early days, but, this United side is much more entertaining than last years, I spent most of the season moaning about how boring and un united like they were. Thing is, there are a few more youngsters pretty much ready to step up, that's why I'm enthused. City, well £500 million says you should win something, and if I was a city fan I'd be having my time in the sun so to speak.

Man Utd 8 - 2 Arsenal

An ardent Arsenal fan told me that watching the shambolic efforts was just painful for her.

Still, you have to wonder whether Wenger's position is going to come under scrutiny. Going nine seasons without a major trophy is not to be envied.