The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

While I understand the residency rules exist, and why they make sense, I guess I'm still happy that England choose not to make the most of them. If the FA had so chosen, they could have picked not only Almunia, but Cudicini before him, and even Paolo di Canio (actually, that I would have paid to see!).

Other countries, of course, use the rules to their advantage. I'd love to know exactly how Eduardo (born in Brazil) qualified to play for Croatia after only being with Zagreb for 3 years at the time he first played for his adopted nation! Look hard enough, and a lot of other countries have an Argentine or Brazilian playing for them.

Of course, if someone has been living in a country long enough to get a passport (John Barnes springs to mind), then why shouldn't they be able to represent that country at sport? I just wish that all sports, and all nations, had the same rules. I seem to remember that Graeme Hick had to wait ten years to play cricket for England, but in the past, Australians, South Africans and Englishmen seemed to be playing for each others' teams all the time.

While I'd not be too upset if Manuel Almunia popped up in goal one day for England, I don't think it would happen, not least because Fabio Capello seems to believe that England should be able to field a strong enough side without resorting to using "ringers", and I tend to agree with him.

• RMweb Gold

The question is Del - does he consider himself scottish, have a scottish accent, a british passport and a home in Scotland?

If he considers himself scottish, who is to say that he is not and therefore ineligible?

I was not born in England, but I was born to two English parents and have lived here since I was five. Does that make me any less english? I do also hold a british passport and have a home here.

My point is, home is what the individual defines, surely?

If on the grounds that he feels more Scottish due to his upbringing than anything else, is that not his right to declare his intention to play for Scotland?

Completely agree, so long as they live permanently in the country they play for, consider themselves to be that nationality I dont have a problem.

Certainly wouldnt be turning back the likes of Peterson etc from playing for England!

As for Almunia, I do feel that he does fit that requirement, he has said before that he intends to stay in England after he finishes with Arsenal (and iirc his wife/girlfriend is also English). While not the best keeper in the world, I'd certainly rate him above the likes of James and the others in the current England setup...

Of course the average English football fan would never accept it (particularly seeing how hard it was for the first non English manager), and the slightest mistake would see him crucified by the red tops...

2 -1 eh, never mind it wont last!!

Don't be so sure. Having watched the magnificent performance on Saturday, and last night, we are a difficult team to beat. Chucho need to learn about offside though, should have buried them by half time. Away at Everton on Sunday will be an interesting game, should be another 3 points though. Then is a run of 3 difficult premiership games against Chelsea, Stoke, and Manchester United. Depending who the referee is for the United game, I can see 4 points out of those three games.

I'm over the moon with the performances, and with the Chinese millions coming in January, thing's can only get better at Blues.

I'm missing the big London derby of the year... :(

Well big derby for Charlton fans anyway.

Charlton VS Millwall on saturday, I am playing the role of the good big brother and attending my sister's first professionally paid role in a play. Can't do both as play is in Preston.

I'll catch the highlights I guess...

Charlton v Millwall, oh well that should be a punch up

I sincerely hope not for all concerned! :angry:

and as for Watford, i hope it works out ok, too much money in football but it all goes to the same 4 teams, those in the Champions and also rans league !!

I agree.

I have never understood why going into administration is an instant ten point deduction but playing an inelligible player (West Ham United/Tevez) was not even a single point deduction.

I really hope Watford sort their money worries out - I have always enjoyed the Charlton-Watford matches and have very much a great respect for them.

EDIT: and in related news - Cardiff stay in business:

Judge dismisses Winding up order

OH YES Spurs won 3-0 against moneybags City, only another 10 points for Premiership safety, WELL after last season......

Spurs seem to like giving their supporters heart attacks. Last season, it was a failure to accumulate any early points; this season it looks like they started on a blinder, and then lost momentum.

Tevez was *never* ineligible. The argument was that Kia Joorabchian could, if he wished, withdraw Tevez from West Ham at any time and this constituted third-party influence. West Ham told the PL that this agreement was now withdrawn, when in fact it wasn't. That was whythey got fined ??5.5m, for basically lying to the PL & the FA.

But when Sheffield United sold Steve Kabba to Watford and then told them as part of the deal that he wouldn't be allowed to play against United, that apparently wasn't third-party influence...

Consistency in football?

...when Sheffield United sold Steve Kabba to Watford and then told them as part of the deal that he wouldn't be allowed to play against United, that apparently wasn't third-party influence...

I thought you could only do that with loans (which makes sense in a way)?

Consistency in football?

Don't be silly - you'll be asking supporters for unbiased opinions next!

Spurs seem to like giving their supporters heart attacks. Last season, it was a failure to accumulate any early points; this season it looks like they started on a blinder, and then lost momentum.

I feel all tickets at Tottenham should carry a Government health warning - Bad for those with heart conditions or of a nervous disposition. Spurs never do anything the easy way, its known as the Tottenham way. Look at last weeks away game at Everton !!!

Tevez was *never* ineligible. The argument was that Kia Joorabchian could, if he wished, withdraw Tevez from West Ham at any time and this constituted third-party influence. West Ham told the PL that this agreement was now withdrawn, when in fact it wasn't. That was whythey got fined ??5.5m, for basically lying to the PL & the FA.

But when Sheffield United sold Steve Kabba to Watford and then told them as part of the deal that he wouldn't be allowed to play against United, that apparently wasn't third-party influence...

Consistency in football?

Doesn't exist.

In the independent tribunal all the evidence pointed one way??”and the verdict shamed both the FA and the Premier League commission.

West Ham signed Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano from Corinthians in September of 2006??”just outside the transfer window. While many teams questioned the move, the FA assured the public that West Ham had their full approval.

It was only when Liverpool picked up an unsettled Mascherano on loan that the details became clear: Kia Joorabchian, who had an investment in the two players, had struck a deal under which the contracts were owned by a third party.

Now, zix months before that news came to light, Bury had won a match in the Carling Cup, only to discover that one of their on-loan substitutes was ineligible. The club duly reported the news to the FA upon realising their mistake??”even though the infraction would probably have gone unnoticed.

Three days later, an FA tribunal decided to fine Bury??”and kick them out of the Carling Cup.

I applauded Bury's honesty at the time, and I stand by my conviction that the punishment was harsh??”especially compared to what happened to West Ham.

West Ham knew from the beginning that Tevez and Mascherano were ineligible to play. Not only were they signed outside the transfer window??”but by the FA's own rules (Rule 35, Paragraph ii, under "transfers"), no player can play for a football club under contract to a third party.

Not much grey area there.

When West Ham were found out, the FA procrastinated. They pushed the tribunal back to the end of the season??”instead of meting out the sort of swift punishment to which Bury had been subject.

The argument for kicking Bury out of the Cup was that the player had made a distinct difference on the pitch, and had helped Bury win. Playing him was thus classified as cheating.

In the first half of the season, Tevez made 13 appearances out of 20 matches for West Ham. By being on the pitch, like the Bury player, he had helped West Ham to any points they'd gathered to that point.

The situation was no different.

West Ham ultimately received a monetary fine (??5 million??”arguably a drop in the bucket when you have an Icelandic millionaire at your disposal)...rather than a three-point deduction, which could have saved Sheffield United from relegation.

All told, the bias makes the Tevez saga a blight on our football history. Sheffield United supporters can feel rightly aggrieved that West Ham weren't dealt the full punishment. Bury supporters had every right to rail against their club's treatment??”a more serious penalty for a less serious offence.

Bury reported their error straight away, and were kicked out of the Cup and hit with a fine. West Ham played half a season before admitting guilt, and were only fined.

The Tevez saga was the worst part of the 2007 season for the most fundamental of reasons: It made fans question the motives behind the FA's decisions.

When the fans don't trust the governing authorities, the game is bound to suffer.

It still steams me - now, as a Charlton fan, I'd long accepted that season that we were going to get relegated. But considering that a team can be docked 10 points for going into administration - something that does not affect the results on the pitch, and then when one team is kicked out of the Carling Cup for fielding an inelligible player - the failure by both the FA and PL to punish West Ham according to their own guidelines was horrific.

On a different note:

That's a standard clause which West Ham have used in the sale of their own players to other teams - I challenge that its a standard clause everywhere in english football. Certainly, I remember Scott Parker was not allowed to play against Charlton when playing for Chelsea due to such a clause...these clauses in contracts are without exception, limited to the rest of the season in which the player was sold.

This link gives the bulk of a letter sent by the PL to all member clubs:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-455348/Premier-League-letter-states-case-clubs-Tevez-affair.html

"At no point were West Ham United charged with playing an ineligible player - both (Carlos) Tevez and (Javier) Mascherano were registered on August 31. All the required documentation was received by the Premier League and the usual confirmations received and sent. Registration is definitive as to the status of the player. At no time has Mr Tevez's registration been revoked or terminated and at all times he has been eligible to play for West Ham."

1. Tevez has been properly registered to play for West Ham United since 31 August 2006. The Board, under our Rules, is charged with the authority to determine this.

2. He continues to be registered with West Ham United.

3. This is a case without precedent and certainly cannot be compared with Clubs who have played unregistered players or players ineligible through suspension.

Begs the question then del - why the fine then?

On another note, here's something that made me weep a little - my friend Rob was killed in Sidcup a few years ago. Some of you will remember on the old RMweb. I used to go down the valley and see him many times. Well, CAFC and Millwall got together to announce this:

Match dedicated to Rob

Rob Knox and Jimmy Mizen - two very tragic deaths in the greater London community.

Rob, you're missed so much chap.