The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

FA Cup again today my nerves are on edge! Away to Staines in front of the TV cameras just waiting for an upset to show later.

Looks like your worries were well-founded! Still, a draw isn't a loss, and you get another go...

Arsenal seem to have a lot of bad luck! Well done to Chelsea, a very blue bus parked in front of goal and three very decent goals (in fact one of Drogba's was pure class).

Yes, Arsenal were terribly unlucky, weren't they? Well, according to Arsene himself, they were, even if none of today's journos seem to agree. A great quote from Arsene:

"They just defended in their own half and attacked on the break."

Defending and attacking? Well, that's just not fair, is it?

Truth be told, I was a bit edgy until the third goal went in. Is any fan ever relaxed when their team are only 2 goals up? I doubt it.

A funny weekend of football in some ways: West Ham scoring 5 before letting Burnley have a go, Ipswich winning away from home, Barnsley fans travelling all the way to Plymouth, only to see a match abandoned when their team were 4-1 up, another weird abandonment at Chester, Man City drawing a seventh straight league game - still, I'm hoping that Chelsea can help them break that run next weekend... !

A strange experience last night - my team (Chelsea - boo, hiss, I know...) lost, but I'm not overly upset.

Obviously, it's only the league cup, but actually, Chelsea have done well in that over the years, so I'd normally be hoping against hope that they get to the final. As it is, the Blues maintained their enormous unbeaten run in normal time for this competition to something like 20 games. No, I think my lack of upset is actually more to do with not getting thumped like Arsenal! And as for Arsene's antics after the game - he's a great man, and a great manager, but sometimes, he shows a total lack of grace (yes, comparisons may be made with a former Chelsea boss...).

All credit to Blackburn, who apparently played extremely well (I say "apparently" because I was watching Celtic and only listening to bits of the Chelsea match) and took full advantage of an inexperienced defence. Shame that Kalou got injured after all the subs had been made, but that's football, I guess. Even so, after Ferreira nicked the most unlikely equaliser, I'd have fancied Chelsea's chances in the shootout, but then again, these things are hard to predict. It would have been too much to ask for Kakuta to have been the night's hero.

At this point, I really ought to say "good luck" to Blackburn for the rest of the tournament, but sadly for them, I'm from Birmingham, so it's now Villa for me!

Big game on Saturday, could be the 'biggest' game of the season so far. What am I talking about, the game being played at the City Ground kicking off at 1:00pm, 4th vs 3rd, of course I'm talking about Nottingham Forest vs Leicester City, 2 of the clubs with the meanest defences in the Championship so far. Also 2 of the Clubs no-one suggested would be any where near the Play-off positions at this point in the season, I for one did not expect Leicester to be 3rd in the League, I was expecting mid-table obscurity for us this season, and a push for Play-offs/promotion next season, but we could be getting there this season.

Heart says "Go for it NP, get us to the promised land!!!" Head says "Don't be ridiculous, if we go up this season, we'll be straight back down, even with Milans Millions!!!" Personally, I want to get through to the play-off final and lose!!! Yes!!! Lose..... This would give us more money, and make the players more determined to go the whole hog next season and avoid the disappointment.

Anyway, need to sort out my lucky boxer shorts, get my Rabbits foot, cross all my fingers and toes and hope a black cat doesn't cross my path between now and tomorrow afternoon. ;) ;) ;)

Regards

Neal.

Something else happening today, is the World Cup draw for South Africa 2010. Anyone want ot give me odds on England being drawn with France and Portugal in their group!!!!!!!

Ooohhh just checked this article http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8393328.stm we can't be drawn with both France and Portugal.

Anyway looking forward to this World Cup, we've got to be in with a shout of winning it this year, or at least getting very close to it, IF we can keep all our 1st team players fit. So my advice to all those Professional footballers who are members of this Forum B) "Buy some decent football boots, not those flaming ballet shoes you wear these days, and you won't end up with fractured/broken metatarsals etc."

Regards

Neal.

"Come On England"

• RMweb Gold

Big game on Saturday, could be the 'biggest' game of the season so far. What am I talking about, the game being played at the City Ground kicking off at 1:00pm, 4th vs 3rd, of course I'm talking about Nottingham Forest vs Leicester City, 2 of the clubs with the meanest defences in the Championship so far. Also 2 of the Clubs no-one suggested would be any where near the Play-off positions at this point in the season, I for one did not expect Leicester to be 3rd in the League, I was expecting mid-table obscurity for us this season, and a push for Play-offs/promotion next season, but we could be getting there this season.

Heart says "Go for it NP, get us to the promised land!!!" Head says "Don't be ridiculous, if we go up this season, we'll be straight back down, even with Milans Millions!!!" Personally, I want to get through to the play-off final and lose!!! Yes!!! Lose..... This would give us more money, and make the players more determined to go the whole hog next season and avoid the disappointment.

Anyway, need to sort out my lucky boxer shorts, get my Rabbits foot, cross all my fingers and toes and hope a black cat doesn't cross my path between now and tomorrow afternoon. ;) ;) ;)

Regards

Neal.

So much for having the meanest defence Neal. ;) :D

So much for having the meanest defence Neal. ;) :D

Yep, I hope this is a wake up call for NP and MM that we need to buy some more quality in January. I listened to the game at my folks house and have to admit (through gritted teeth) that Forest were much the better side. We are in a fairly false position at the moment, we were lucky with the other results going our way, just have to hope we can recover on Tuesday against Bristol City.

Did anyone notice the irony of who scored both goals for Derby in their 2-2 draw with WBA??? Yep, Paul Dickov and DJ Campbell, both on loan from Leicester :icon_frustrated: :icon_frustrated:

Ah well back to refusing to answer the house phone in case its the in-laws calling, FIL is a Forest fan :icon_winker: :icon_winker:

Regards

Neal.

Watching the City v Chelsea match yesterday, I couldn't help noticing the arrogance that seem to be creeping into the Chelsea play. Comments in the press by players like Lampard and Drogba, about them being at the peak of their form and approaching the best they have ever been, fuels this. It culminates with Lampards lazy penalty attempt. Now, I am not about to suggest that Chelsea are about to go into freefall, but to be beaten by a side that, at best, only played an average game, does suggest that they need to work on their playmaking instead of their egos. Did they not learn anything from not winning the title 3 years in a row.icon_question.gif

The other thing I noticed was Terry's claim for a City player handballing in the area. Hippocrytical or what.

... arrogance... seems to be creeping into the Chelsea play. Comments in the press by players like Lampard and Drogba, about them being at the peak of their form and approaching the best they have ever been, fuels this.

The other thing I noticed was Terry's claim for a City player handballing in the area. Hippocrytical or what.

Nice to see that the sport of Chelsea-hating is alive and well! Just kidding, I know where you're coming from, to an extent.

On the other hand (and, as usual, I'm speaking as a Chelsea fan, so the usual disclaimer of ovbvious bias applies!), I've watched the Blues closely this season, and in the main, they have looked extremely good. Not the best out-and-out attacking side, but they absorb pressure very well, and then kill teams on the break. Lampard was bound to miss a penalty eventually - I think he'd scored something like 20 on the trot before that - and Drogba has been back to his old menacing self. My man-of-the-season so far, though, is Nicolas Anelka: absolutely superb.

On top of that, Ancelotti has worked wonders with players like Deco and Ivanovic, so I think it's too early to say that Chelsea have blown it, particularly when you look at next weekend's fixtures: Chelsea v Everton, Man Utd v Villa, Liverpool v Arsenal. I know which team I'd most trust to take 3 points out of that lot! Feel free to gloat when Everton turn us over...

Oh, and given that footballers are all biased anyway, why was it hypocritical of Terry to claim for a handball? It did hit the hand, even if it was accidental... not saying the goal should have been disallowed, but it could have been. You know what impressed me most about that? Terry went to the ref to complain, but he did it quietly, from a distance, and he actually waved his team-mates away from foolowing him. Progress, of sorts!

I too have been impressed with them so far this season. But I was looking at them without rose(or should that be blue) tinted spectacles.

As for my comment about hippocracy. Terry has several times over the last couple of seasons appeared to deliberately handle the ball in his own area, yet each time got away with it.

I am not a blues hater, I really hate Arsenal the most (this goes back to school days, a boy I particularly disliked was an Arsenal fan) just dislike any team above mine. As it is Frome Town, this is rather a lot.wink.gif

As for my comment about hippocracy...

Is that a government ruled by horses? Sorry...

I understand, but I daresay Terry would expect the opposing team to protest if they saw him handle the ball, so it's not really double standards, just what is euphemistically called "gamesmanship" these days, and which used to be called "cheating"... of course, I'm just miffed that it didn't go Chelsea's way yesterday - Terry himself got wrestled to the floor on one occasion, and on another day, there might have been another penalty. Still, c'est la vie... it was a game of football, no-one died.

After seeing my chosen team lose two and draw one of their last three matches, I would like to extend my thanks to Liverpool, Rangers and Arsenal for putting things into perspective again...

Actually, Arsenal played pretty well, considering the team, and they'd already won the group, so were justified in trying out some of the youngsters. I'm even starting to feel a bit sorry for Liverpool, ending their Champions' League season with a bit of a whimper - I gather they won't even be among the seeded teams for the Europa League now. What's that all about, anyway - dropping out of one competition into another, lower one? Once a team is out of contention for the Premier League, they don't get put in the Championship play-offs, do they? I know the answer, of course - money. Specifically, TV money. That, and UEFA trying to keep all the smaller nations on board.

The World Cup qualifiers are just as bad. What's the point in San Marino, Liechtenstein et al playing in the main draw? Better, surely, to get the weakest dozen or so teams together, and play them off against each other to choose the one or two teams who might actually compete against the big boys. Sort of a 'B' competition which, if anyone actually gave it some thought, would be good for the game. All the minor footballing nations get a dozen close games every 4 years (every 2 when you factor in the Euros), and a chance to improve their skills against closely-matched teams. Who learns anything from losing 9-0?

I'm rambling, of course, but like many football fans, I'd like to see the Champions League cut in size, likewise the UEFA/Europa competition, and with no cross-fertilisation between the 2. Tell a lie, why not give the Europa Cup winners a Champions' League entry for the next season? That way, Spurs, Villa and the like wouldn't give up halfway through to concentrate on fighting for 4th place in the League.

I'm rambling, of course, but like many football fans, I'd like to see the Champions League cut in size, likewise the UEFA/Europa competition, and with no cross-fertilisation between the 2. Tell a lie, why not give the Europa Cup winners a Champions' League entry for the next season? That way, Spurs, Villa and the like wouldn't give up halfway through to concentrate on fighting for 4th place in the League.

Steve,

I've got some cracking ideas for European Competitions:

1:) A European Cup competition where the only entrants are the Champions of the Country's respective Top Leagues, it is a straight knockout competition from the off, and all the Clubs are drawn out of a hat at each stage and its a Home & away tie. Losers are OUT full stop.

2:) For the next couple of teams in the league i.e. 2nd,3rd and possible 4th we could have another competition with exactly the same rules as above, or maybe this one could be a League based competition.

3:) A European Competition for teams who win major domestic cup competitions, maybe we could call the Cup Winners Cup, again straight knockout competition and each game is drawn out of a hat at each stage.

Should I send these ideas to Mr Blatter/Mr Platini for consideration for next years competitions???

Regards

Neal.

Sorry Neal, but Sepp & Michel won't be interested in your ideas - they're way too sensible, with limited opportunities for outrageous cash generation.

Seriously, you're right - the clue to the best format for the Champions' League is in the name, isn't it? OK, so my lot wouldn't have been in it for 3 years, but at the end of the day, so what? Then again, with the likes of the champions of Luxembourg qualifying by right, you could maybe argue that some leagues (England, Italy, Spain, France, Germany etc) should get two entries, but that's enough, surely? Again, my lot would have missed out this year, but I really don't care.

Amazingly, a grand total of 53 nations are members of UEFA, so perhaps you could top the 53 up to 64 teams, and then have a 2-leg knockout as you suggest. No extra qualifiers, no leagues. 10 match days plus a final - simple, yet brilliant.

Do you know, I think we may have cracked it!

Beginning to wonder if liverpool should call time with benitez, he just dosn't seem to inspire the team and tactically we seem to defend far too much (and scrap the zonal system). However if he did go who would we have not too many options out there but I do wonder if liverpool are waiting until mourhinho(?spelling) gets sacked so they don't have to pay milan compensation.

Other than that klinnsman has been mentioned but not sure who he has managed apart from national squad.

I am not one for calling for the axe and like to give people time but every week he states our season can start here we win then lose the next!

However if he wins the europa league and fa cup all will be forgiven (nearly) god I am so fickle!

mark

Beginning to wonder if liverpool should call time with benitez ... However if he did go who would we have not too many options out there but I do wonder if liverpool are waiting until mourhinho(?spelling) gets sacked so they don't have to pay milan compensation.

How about Hiddink? I'd hate to see an ex-Chelsea manager go to a big rival (except for Mourinho, because he's always good value!), but Guus did well at the end of last season, and since Ancelotti seems to have his head screwed on, I can afford to be generous!

Otherwise, I don't know what the choices are - Van Gaal? Jim Magilton? Paul Hart? John Barnes?!