Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

So the EFL’s fit and proper person’s test has again proved to be nothing more than a sham. For the third time in two years my club have been conned by a potential buyer who passed their checks -  aside from the biggest con artist on the planet who put us into this mess. Now there is a very real chance, possibly even likelihood, that the league will see the biggest casualty in its history. That is in no way being disparaging to Aldershot, Newport, Accrington, Bury, Maidstone, Boston, Macclesfield and others who have all gone out of business. These were all dreadful events and tragic for fans and employees alike. But - Derby County! Founder members and former league champions! For us to cease to exist shows what is fundamentally wrong with our game. And, the administrators - Quantuma, who were appointed to save the club. Racking up a bill of millions in the process. Yet they ignore the approaches of former safe owner Andy Appleby, the genuine offer from the financially solvent Binnie family and  the proven owner Mike Billionaire Ashley in favour of an unknown American chancer who walked away once and then returned after Preston decided he was a fake. Completely unforgivable.

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, andyram said:

So the EFL’s fit and proper person’s test has again proved to be nothing more than a sham. For the third time in two years my club have been conned by a potential buyer who passed their checks -  aside from the biggest con artist on the planet who put us into this mess. Now there is a very real chance, possibly even likelihood, that the league will see the biggest casualty in its history. That is in no way being disparaging to Aldershot, Newport, Accrington, Bury, Maidstone, Boston, Macclesfield and others who have all gone out of business. These were all dreadful events and tragic for fans and employees alike. But - Derby County! Founder members and former league champions! For us to cease to exist shows what is fundamentally wrong with our game. And, the administrators - Quantuma, who were appointed to save the club. Racking up a bill of millions in the process. Yet they ignore the approaches of former safe owner Andy Appleby, the genuine offer from the financially solvent Binnie family and  the proven owner Mike Billionaire Ashley in favour of an unknown American chancer who walked away once and then returned after Preston decided he was a fake. Completely unforgivable.

And the tragedy is they will continue to pass these "fit & proper persons and allow them to control clubs running up debts and selling assets to the detriment of the league 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Saddened that the England forward laughed tonight after missing that open(ish) goal chance. I only played at village league level and even there I would have been ashamed at missing that type of chance if I’d managed to get a foot on it. Disappointing game, at the end of a long season, stupid timing which is something I agree with Gareth Bale on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Looks like they'll be getting their summer holidays early which no doubt several EPL managers will be quite pleased about... I agree with KdB, this is a stupid tournament simply there to make money for UEFA without any thought to player's welfare.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Looks like they'll be getting their summer holidays early which no doubt several EPL managers will be quite pleased about... I agree with KdB, this is a stupid tournament simply there to make money for UEFA without any thought to player's welfare.

The summer holidays will come after the game on Tuesday come what may. There are two more games later in the year against Italy and the Germans. I agree that the timing of the tournament is dreadful but is a victim of the stupid decision to take the World Cup to Qatar and hold it in the winter. The scheduling also owes something to lost dates due to Covid! Perhaps it should have been abandoned this time around.

As to whether the Nations League is a complete waste of time I would actually disagree to the extent that the jury remains out on it. The plan was to use it instead of meaningless friendlies and, in that sense, it is a good idea. Sadly, I think it has suffered due to the points raised above.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Glad I wasn't one of the thousands who bought a ticket. A bunch of totally aimless numpties up front (again) who all looked as if hey were playing for themselves as individuals not as a team. Sending off was harsh but I could see why the ref bought it.

Oh b***er - now it is FOUR, aimlessly walking the ball about on the halfway line is hardly a sensible tactic.

Edited by john new
Hungary scored again!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RailroadRich said:

Questioning why Southgate doesn't take a punt

Because they're not from fashiiable/trendy clubs.

One of my hopes was that when GS took over this sort of thing would change, me and my optimism!

An unproven youngster from a trendy club takes preference over a proven player.

Mike.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Hobby said:

Just hope it happens... Derby gave been in a similar position several times.

Fingers crossed for both this sounds promising trust and fans groups briefed by club and stadium owners today that's a big step 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/06/2022 at 18:21, peanuts said:

Absolutely ecstatic right now  fan power wins and four years of boycotting is justified the best birthday present I have ever had they are out at last @owtb 

https://twitter.com/i/events/1542498216016580610?s=20

And a good week too for York City with McGill selling his shares back to the club. We just have to hope the new regime aren't as bad or worse.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

What a difference a few days make. In less than a week my club have been taken over, released reduced priced season tickets, and brought in several new players. They are promising signings too with Hourihane, Chester, McGoldrick and Barkhuisen all more than capable of being picked up by Championship clubs. Bringing in that quality of player, despite the financial restrictions imposed by the EFL as part of the exit from administration, shows the pulling power Derby County still possess. 

I take no pleasure at all that McGoldrick turned down Steve Gibson’s lucrative offer to join Middlesbrough in favour of a cut price deal at Pride Park, citing the Derby fans as the reason. Ok, I lied, I take a lot of pleasure from that . Karma Mr Gibson. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, john new said:

Can someone explain why the ball in the ladies Euro's looks to have all those grooves in it? Swerve faster stripes?

I’ve played with a ball like that. I couldn’t see any difference in performance, though that could have been a reflection on the skill level of the players. The raised ‘stripes’ can hurt more when they hit you hard - presumably force being concentrated in a smaller contact area? 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, andyram said:

What a difference a few days make. In less than a week my club have been taken over, released reduced priced season tickets, and brought in several new players. They are promising signings too with Hourihane, Chester, McGoldrick and Barkhuisen all more than capable of being picked up by Championship clubs. Bringing in that quality of player, despite the financial restrictions imposed by the EFL as part of the exit from administration, shows the pulling power Derby County still possess. 

I take no pleasure at all that McGoldrick turned down Steve Gibson’s lucrative offer to join Middlesbrough in favour of a cut price deal at Pride Park, citing the Derby fans as the reason. Ok, I lied, I take a lot of pleasure from that . Karma Mr Gibson. 

Yes, my future son in law is also very relived it's all over and they can move forward. Shame you lost Rooney, though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hobby said:

Yes, my future son in law is also very relived it's all over and they can move forward. Shame you lost Rooney, though.

Yes a shame, but I think he had become too invested in the proposed Kitchener takeover. It seems like he was taken for a ride in the same way the administrators were.

• Like 2