The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

I spent last weekend with the in-laws. This means that Saturday afternoon is spent at the Crown Ground when Accrington Stanley are at home. I seem to be lucky for them... I have been to four games so far, and Stanley have yet to loose any game I have attended... :blink:

Last Saturday's game really was a game of two halves. The first half Stanley were very good. They played a decent passing game, with two really nicely taken goals. Micah Evans, a young loanee from Blackburn, scored the first goal after about 5 minutes. An excellent effort, backed up by some really good play throughout the game. I would expect to hear a lot more of him next season...when Blackburn are relegated!

The second was shocking. Too many aimless long ball passes, and loosing of possession in dangerous positions. Bristol Rovers - who weren't great in the first half - could easily have nicked a point, if not all three. In the event Stanley got away with it and secured a 2:1 win.

Honestly, it was like Wenger managed the first half and Allardyce the second...only with some rather robust scouse vernacular coming from the touchline! :biggrin_mini:

• Like 1

Just spent a very enjoyable afternoon at the 1st Round F.A.Cup Tie between Hinckley United and Tamworth.

A very keenly fought 2-2 draw with Hinckley playing with 10 men for the best part of an hour after their goalkeeper was sent off.

After the sending off Hinckley took the lead twice in second half with the best two goals of the game only to be pegged back each time.

The crowd was 1,906 - about 4 or 5 times the usual size.

The main moment of controversy occurred at the time of the sending off - the referee blew for a clattering foul on the Hinckley goalkeeper, Hinckley's goalkeeper retaliated and was rightly sent off, but the referee then lost the plot - Can you guess what his original decision was for restarting the game?

An excellent win for The Stringers yesterday in a real game of two halves. First belonged to Rustington - they should have had two goals, but for a combination of fine goalkeeping and woeful finishing - but after the break, it was all us - Shane Saunders scored twice in three minutes, then new signing Ben Billings (who has been playing for Welling in the Blue Square South) beat two men and hit a rocket into the top corner. Ash Jarvis prodded home the fourth, Danny Leach lobbed home from 25 yards, and then Ash wrapped it up to make it 6-0.

We're now in the Semi Final of the Division Two Cup - last time we were in Division Two we made it to the final only to lose to Sidlesham, so this time it would be great to go one better and win it!

• RMweb Premium

4-0 to the Addicks - but may I say, Halifax played a terrific game and the scoreline doesn't reflect their work ethic, at all.

It was a good game, and yes the result gives a false impression of the game, which was pretty even until the last ten minutes. Charlton wining 1-0 would probably have been a fairer reflection of the match. That said, I'm sure plenty of league sides would have had a nasty shock today and Chris Powell will be pleased how his team came through. Get past Carlisle and I'm sure not too many Championship or lower table Premiership sides would look forward to visiting the Valley in the third round...

4-0 to the Addicks - but may I say, Halifax played a terrific game and the scoreline doesn't reflect their work ethic, at all.

Carlisle at home in the cup next - that'll be a cracker! :)

An enjoyable game, I thought (and is it just me, or was this the only cup game on "normal" TV this weekend?), but it was a little disappointing to hear so much mean-spirited chanting from - presumably - some Charlton fans towards the end. A bit unnecessary when your team has narrowly (until the last few minutes) beaten a much more lowly club. Still, any club has a few idiots as fans, and at least we all got to watch some "proper" football!

An enjoyable game, I thought (and is it just me, or was this the only cup game on "normal" TV this weekend?), but it was a little disappointing to hear so much mean-spirited chanting from - presumably - some Charlton fans towards the end. A bit unnecessary when your team has narrowly (until the last few minutes) beaten a much more lowly club. Still, any club has a few idiots as fans, and at least we all got to watch some "proper" football!

We had (for I turned up in the second half, having missed the first half due to a remembrance service and various other priorities earlier in the day) a bit of a heated confrontation at one point between the twenty or so idiots and the rest of the Charlton crowd. The "you're ...etc" chants were shouted down by quite a few people. I mean, we've never been non league but the majority of fans have either come in pre-premier league or post premier, and very few inbetween. We know what it's like to be the smallest of the small, and to have nothing.

I have to say, given there were only about 3000 people there, you hear the loud ones an awful lot more in a small crowd than you do in crowds of 20,000 or more. It's not a fair reflection on the majority of the Charlton fans, though it doesn't make it any less embaressing for those of us with a few more brain cells and manners.

• 3 weeks later...

Out and about on the internet I saw this; football and railway related so I assume this is the right thread!

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/hu/electric/1047/010/aranycsapatlok1.jpg

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/hu/electric/1047/010/aranycsapatlok4.jpg

This might just look like another gaudy golden Euro-toaster, but apparently the faces are the Hungarian "Golden Team" (Aranycsapat) of the 1950s that won the Olympics and then beat England 6-3 and 7-1. If you look closely it seems they've put these scores on the roof, very cheeky. ;-)

Edited by Andy Y
Hotlinked images replaced with links
  • Like 1

Funny how you only hear from Utd supporters when things are going well..... :D

What a blinding goal from Ambrose. Palace deserved the win on that goal alone..

I'm more frustrated than bothered about this result.

Fergi regularly puts out a mixed team of reserves, squad players and juniors from the academy on these occasions. A much stronger team is usually fielded if they reach the final.

It's worked for him for a number of seasons, winning 3 Carling Cup finals in the last 6 years.

The same sort of result happened at the same stage in last seasons competition, with a similar rag bag selection of 2nd & 3rd string players getting a right tonking against West Ham.

My frustration lies with SAF not adopting a proper managed squad rotation system, which maintains a continuous solid first team at all times. Instead he seems to just constantly assemble random teams with an ever shifting line up of defenders, midfield and strikers. That's not rotating players, it's chaos. It's now happening with the first team in important games as well.

Combine that with several serious weaknesses in the team and the ageing of a large proportion of the first team squad (8 of them are over 30, including Giggs at 38) and I can't see United continuing very far in Europe this season (based on what's happened so far), nor winning the Premiership.

Oh yes ! It was a fantastic goal by Ambrose. Totally unstoppable as far as the 'keeper goes (Ben Amos - a very very good young keeper).

It's just the way the United central midfield pair looked completely disinterested and allowed the move to take place, allowing Ambrose a completely free reign to take his shot.

Never mind. well done Palace and pleasing to see they got Cardiff in the draw for the semi-final, rather than face a certain exit against Liverpool or City.

There may be some element of that Mick.

Even though (cliches coming in a football stylee) he's been there, done that, got the souvenirs and seen it all before (....and boy does his track record prove it ), I'm sure there comes a time where previous sound judgement and experience can be "caught out" by changing circumstances.

I go along with the view of the professional commentators and many of his peers, that he remains a very wily and shrewd manager, but I often wonder about the presence of certain apparent "blind spots" that now seem to affect his decision making.

A couple of seasons ago he remarked about the then Chelsea squad becoming old, but has since allowed his own squad to go the same way. There's lot's of talk about all the young new players, but by the end of last season there were 13 players over the age of 30 in the squad. 4 have since retired or moved on, but another has now passed that landmark, making it now 8 players, some who are obviously in the twilight of their careers and can't last much longer.

This may not matter too much if the balance of age and strength in depth in various parts of the pitch is good enough, but I don't believe it is.

I could bore you to tears if I went through each "department" from Goalkeeper to Strikers in turn, but I feel there are problems of age, lack of experience or competence in each of those areas.

I won't repeat what I said in the previous post about the lack of proper squad rotation, except to add that the number of injuries and the problems I've just highlighted may drive the situation to a certain extent.

A lot may be down to the coaching and I'm increasingly feeling that the whole coaching regime may have has lost its way. I see similar evidence watching the Reserves and Academy teams on MUTV.

IMHO, the biggest failing is in midfield where there appears to be a reluctance to defend and fight for the ball, when opponents have possession. As such it's no surprise to me that a recently given statistic, indicated that despite United's still very good defensive record (apart from one serious blip !), they had the worst record in the Premiership this season, for opponents attempts on goal (on and off target).

Conversely, going forward it's apparent to all that there's often a lack of creativity in breaking down the opposing team in the final quarter of the pitch. This aspect seems to get the highlight, but personally I like to see the more important issues addressed first.

I have to ask is it the coaching, is it the manager and his assistant's tactics, or is it the players?

I have come to believe it's a combination of all three.

So back to age?

It could be SAF has seen all this, or elements of this before and managed the team through it. It could be that he had more competent assistance in previous years.

I fear that now all the problems seem to be coming at once and that his judgement may not have recognised how deep some of those issues are. However I suspect he knows only too well, but is keeping it all "in-house" so to speak.

The future is not entirely bleak. United have a number of exciting and potentially capable young players in the squad. We just seem to be missing two or three key components that would enable the team to successfully transition from yesterdays glories, to a continued successful future.

Naturally there are others on here who would not like to see it happen. :O :sarcastichand:

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apparently the ref told Pardew that the Newcastle player wasn't in control of he ball so it couldn't be considered a goal scoring opportunity.

It baffled the pundits in the studio too.

Apparently the ref told Pardew that the Newcastle player wasn't in control of he ball so it couldn't be considered a goal scoring opportunity.

It baffled the pundits in the studio too.

That's wrong on so many levels its heinous. How many times have we seen a player run for a through ball, to be brought down by the last defender, and a red card given for "denying a clear goalscoring opportunity?"

I'm normally the one defending referees (done a bit of it in my time) but that was a bad decision with bad reasoning behind it too. Dare I say - not following the rules?

Today saw Hailsham Town bounce back to winning ways after last weeks embarrasing 5-1 reverse against East Preston. Steyning despatched 3-0 with goal number 26 of the season in the league alone for Danny Leach - he's now got 32 in all competitions - opening the scoring before Jamie Salvidge (tap in) and Ashley Hall (shot through a crowd) completed it.

Second in the league, looking good.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Really looking forward to Sunday, with the impending South Coast Derby.

It promises to be a good game, with Pompey on a bit of a run at present, whilst Southampton have lost their stride just a little...meaning we are probably more evenly matched than we were a few weeks back. Bring on some good old-fashioned passion, but without the inevitable low-lives who try to cause trouble on these occasions.

• RMweb Premium

Some interesting ties in the European Cup draws.

Chelsea vs. Napoli

Arsenal vs. Milan

Both really tricky ties, but some degree of advantage to the two English teams as the first games are away.

Man U vs. Ajax

Man City vs. Porto

Perhaps a controversial view here, but I don't really agree to Champions League failures competing in the Europa Cup. Despite the grumblings from Manchester - both sides - it is still a European cup competition, still prize and television money coming in, and still some worthwhile silverware up for grabs. It is good to see four drop-out clubs facing each other.

Tricky tie for Stoke, but I'm sure Valencia would be the more apprehensive of the two.

The whole European set up is a joke to me. How can it be The 'Champions' League when 4th place teams can enter ? as for drop outs entering the Europa League Well.....Oh don't get me started on that one...

On the first point, I can see where UEFA are coming from in offering more places to the "bigger" nations. After all, the 4th best team in England is probably still rather stronger than the best that Slovenia have to offer. Having said that, maybe 3 teams maximum per nation would be enough.

As for your second point, I couldn't agree more. The Europa League is, by defintion, the inferior competition, and should be a more-or-less level playing field for the "second tier" teams from each country. Throwing the likes of the Manchester clubs into the mix seems barmy. What's the sense in kicking teams out of one competition and into another? Should we have a "third" cup, where all the losing Europa League teams can play amongst themselves? Of course not. The present situation is akin to Andy Murray getting knocked out of Wimbledon in the second round, only to turn up next day in the third round of the Ladies' Singles!

Edited for gibberish...

Edited by Steve K
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some interesting ties in the European Cup draws.

Chelsea vs. Napoli

Arsenal vs. Milan

Both really tricky ties, but some degree of advantage to the two English teams as the first games are away.

Um, as its a case of the British teams are away first, it ought to be listed as such

• Napoli (ITA) v Chelsea (ENG)
  • AC Milan (ITA) v Arsenal (ENG)

We get that all the time in the Aussie media, where many of the news sources change league results to put the winning sides first, having gone through the wins, then they list the draws. Never do understand why they go to the trouble of rewriting it. Probably to do with re-enforcing the view that 'Soccer' is a boring game.

Kevin Martin