The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Quite - while I'm probably in a minority in thinking that his 8-game ban was a bit harsh, he was found guilty of an offence, and he should grow up and move on. Patrice Evra was the on the receiving end of the misdemeanour, yet he offered his hand. What a richardhead, indeed.

Actually, there's so much to get wound up about right now, as far as PL football is concerned at least. The build-up to the current match, with Ferguson and Dalglish both trying to engage in points-scoring against each other. Well, I think that's what they were doing - they both mumble so much these days that I can barely catch a word. Those two are so bitter and mean-spirited that they make AVB look like Michael McIntyre.

Oh, and now Suarez has scored. Darn it. Being a Chelsea fan, I'd quite like Man U to drop points, of course, but Suarez has been such an utter tosspot that I'm quite torn...

Other frustrations:

Radio 5 Live constantly referring to glen Johnson as "the England defender". Great - he believes his own hype, I'm sure, but it doesn't fool me. He's one of those defenders who can't defend i.e. a not very good one. He occasionally flattered to deceive with Chelsea and Pompey, but both of those teams were ultimately well rid of him. I've said it before and I'll repeat it now - the England team would be better off if none of those who disgraced themselves in South Africa were ever allowed to pull on the shirt again.

The let-down of the January transfer window. Did any team in the PL apart from QPR actually strengthen their squad last month? I don't think so. My solution? Ban all transfers between teams in the same league during the season. Allow transfers between different leagues (eg Germany to Italy) at any time.

Finally, the BBC sports website. It used to be my favourite way of enjoying the afternoon's games. Far from growing on me, the new site is so annoyingly over-stuffed with irrelevant crud that I'm seriously thinking of venturing outside for an hour or two, and coming back home in time for Final Score! Honestly - I don't care what's going on in the Welsh Cup today. OK, maybe I do, let's check... oh, there aren't any matches today. So: WHY GIVE ME THE OPTION OF LOOKING AT SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T EXIST? Aaarrgghhh!

• Like 1

A complete lack of class by Suarez, pretty much throughout the game. Well, all you've done is show youself and your club up even more than before.

Looks like Dalglish needs to borrow Wenger specs if he really didn't see the lack of handshake............dear me, other than that :D

Oh, and an 8 match ban, if I go into work and racially abuse someone, one of two things would most likely happen (depending on where I'm working!) I'll either get sacked or filled in, so lets not say he was hard done to.

Edited by Red Devil

Would like to hear suarez excuse maybe he is still upset over what evra said (his own admission) about suarez grandmother and didn't have to apologise for, however would have been so much better for everyone if he had just shook his hand! Hopefully some common sense will kick in at liverpool and this will all be sorted before it tarnishes the name anymore. Fergie calling for him to be sold- yeah right fergie like you sold on the bloke who dropkicked the fan in the crowd!

mark

edit: maybe evra should be charged with agism! By the way don't condone what suarez did or object to the punishment before someone jumps on me!

Edited by reevesthecat

Right, Suarez is still upset because the bloke who he racially abused is prepared to bury the hatchet and move on, Throughout the whole episode LFC have backed their man to the hilt fair enough, but this has involved.

Commenting on the situation throughout when asked not to by the FA.

Dalglsh commenting that Evra has got form for this sort of thing when that is a blatent lie

The wearing of the ridiculous T shirts at Wigan.

The refusal to accept the decision, whilst not being prepared to appeal.

Then we have yesterday, Uniteds position was, draw a line under it, move on, then the non handshake etc, it couldn't be much more provacative, and we're meant to accept that Suarez is still upset.

So then we've got Dalglish with myopoia and after all that has happened Ferguson goes on the attack, perhaps he shouldn't have done so but at least he had the decency to criticise the over exuberant celebrations, again something that shouldnt have happend and probably wouldn't if the handshake snub hadn't happened.

Sorry if you think, this is me jumping on you Mark, it's not, but Liverpool have not handled this situation at all well throughout.

http://www.guardian....ish-luis-suarez

Have a read, pretty much sums it all up, oh yeah Daniel Taylor is currently banned from Old Trafford press conferences, so don't think he's a club appologist.

Edited by Red Devil

• RMweb Premium

Suarez has previous. Ear biting in Holland and his celebration of his goal line 'save' against Ghana to name but two instances. Talented maybe but not a very nice person. A transfer to Sunderland could be of benefit. If MON can house train Lee Cattermole then Luis Suarez should be a doddle.

David

The collective myopia of "everyone" so far interviewed connected to Liverpool FC - that it wasn't Suarez' fault that he didn't shake hands is just astonishing and not a little disappointing, why is a club with such history and pedigree lining behind this arrogant not every nice person.....?

• Like 1

Maybe I've missed the point again, but how is it we have two fairly high profile racism cases in football being handled so differently by the FA, in particular...?

Both of them should have been suspended from football and given a charge (as happened with Terry). Patrice Evra should not have brought it to the FA/PL, who despite an eight match man have proven they are both totally toothless when it comes to dealing with the club mentality.

Liverpool F.C.'s behaviour throughout all of this has disappointed me. Further, I think Dalglish has proven how out of touch with the modern world he is. Suarez's behaviour could be understood as a cultural oddity from his homeland, but that does not make it acceptable here nor should anyone be looking to excuse it.

His behaviour over the course of his ban and since coming off it only convinces me further that he is a selfish, moronic individual with no manners, class, or regrets as to his previous behaviour. Not shaking Evra's hand yesterday was the lowest of the low.

Terry situation was reported to the police, Suarez/Evra wasn't, simple as that. Police investigate, pass to CPS......

No report to Police, no investigation, no CPS...........

So should it have been reported to the Police, no in my opinion, in fact an apology by Suarez early on would have gone a long way to sorting this problem.

• RMweb Premium

The collective myopia of "everyone" so far interviewed connected to Liverpool FC - that it wasn't Suarez' fault that he didn't shake hands is just astonishing and not a little disappointing, why is a club with such history and pedigree lining behind this arrogant not every nice person.....?

I watched MOTD last night and there was some evidence that Evra's hand was not at the same level as ALL the other MU players hands, it was well below. Suarez could have interpreted that as being he didn't want to shake hands, and so passed him by, given the history.

I'm not defending either party, no love of prima donnas in the game. Just an observation. Selective myopia seems rife in the modern game.

I don't think the police need it to be reported to them to take action if they feel the law has been broken. Whether they do or not is another matter.

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253

I watched MOTD last night and there was some evidence that Evra's hand was not at the same level as ALL the other MU players hands, it was well below. Suarez could have interpreted that as being he didn't want to shake hands.

Nope, if you want to shake hands you do, Suarez hand went straight past Evra, from the mascot to De Gea, no intention of a handshake, if there was why when pulledf up on it did he just shrug Evra off, I've seen this offered as an explanation and it just doesn't hold water.

Police can take action without it being reported, but in the Terry case it was and that's why there's a difference in what has happened.

Hi Red devil (sorry can't remember your first name- is it mark that would be ironic)

I don't think you are jumping on me (ooer missus) but totally agree suarez well out of order and Dalglish when he came back said 'we' would go back to the old days regarding dignity/ silence etc and this has not happened which again disappoints me especially at the sametime the stephen lawrence case was ongoing. I was mearly pointing out that suarez may have been equally upset at evras comments regarding his family as evra was about the racial abuse. Liverpool really don't come out of this well at all and not sure how it can be resolved at the moment. I am sure most Liverpool fans are gutted by what has happened I know I am!

mark

edit: until suarez explains his actions we won't know for sure so maybe I shouldn't speculate!

sorry further edit, have just read guardian link and agree it does sum it up well. Like i said disapointed as most are should all be finished by now and forgotten but will now drag on for ever! (well next season at least)

edit have read fa report and it wasn't swarez family evra insulted just the fact he was south american! Didn't evra claim racial abuse in the aftermatch thing at chelsea don't know if proven or not.

Edited by reevesthecat

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid that I find all this is so depressing in the modern game. The behaviour at the 'handshake' yesterday set an appalling example to the little lads that were there as mascots. When will these players realise, whether they like it or not, are rôle models to young football players and fans? I was delighted to hear Gordon Taylor of the PFA heavily criticising both the players and club in all this. I don't normally support him as I always see him a protector for rich spoiled players and who always seems to be reticent to criticise some of their questionable behaviour.

Surely in this case it would be hoped that the senior players like Stevie Gerrard and Jamie Carragher at LFC would give Suarez a good talking to regarding the damage that he's doing to a great club.

On the state of the game generally and lack of 'sportsmanship' and cheating that now pervades it, I was appalled whilst watching a regional footy programme last week, when the presenter, a retired local player, (can't remember who!) asked another local team player and the ex Torquay United manager Leroy Rosenior about diving and cheating when Rosenior admitted very vehemently that he would always instruct his players to 'simulate' to get an advantage through penalties,

much to the surprise of the ex player presenter. If he openly admitted to it, how many other managers are doing it.

All a far cry from the days when I used to go to Elland Road when, by and large, games were played in a sporting spirit. That was when I was little in the days of John Charles and later Billy Bremner and Norman Hunter

That's not counting the occasional 'hard' tackle of course! But seriously though, however hard tackling and games could be, the level of respect and sportsmanship was right up there.

• Like 1

An apology of sorts, but not to Evra, backsiding covering on a grand scale.

"I have spoken with the Manager since the game at Old Trafford and I realise I got things wrong.

"I've not only let him down, but also the Club and what it stands for and I'm sorry. I made a mistake and I regret what happened.

"I should have shaken Patrice Evra's hand before the game and I want to apologise for my actions.

"I would like to put this whole issue behind me and concentrate on playing football."

Liverpool Managing Director Ian Ayre has today released the following statement.

"We are extremely disappointed Luis Suarez did not shake hands with Patrice Evra before yesterday's game. The player had told us beforehand that he would, but then chose not to do so.

"He was wrong to mislead us and wrong not to offer his hand to Patrice Evra. He has not only let himself down, but also Kenny Dalglish, his teammates and the Club. It has been made absolutely clear to Luis Suarez that his behaviour was not acceptable.

"Luis Suarez has now apologised for his actions which was the right thing to do. However, all of us have a duty to behave in a responsible manner and we hope that he now understands what is expected of anyone representing Liverpool Football Club''

Edit, negative press in the US, New York Times and Boston Globe, wonder if this has come from the top?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/sports/soccer/liverpools-luis-suarez-refuses-to-shake-the-hand-of-uniteds-patrice-evra.html?_r=3&ref=sports

Edited by Red Devil

I think this shaking hands thing is a complete and utter waste of time... Quite honestly it means nothing if they are told that they have to shake hands... Shaking hands should be a spontaneous thing done out of mutual respect and not lowered to the standards the FA have reduced it to where its just seen as something that must be done before a match and clearly means nothing at all to those taking part...

If anything all this sorry episode does is show that its a total sham...

oh,*#*" , wolves

we need to pull our selves together if we want to stay in this league !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well done to the baggies ,though we might wake up now!!!!!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I do agree that it is the managers choice who the captain is, it should still not come as a huge suprise to Capello that Terry was stripped of the captaincy. Innocent until proven guilty does not exist in situations involving racism...as has been mentioned before, if any one of us on here were accused of saying what Terry was accused of in our workplace, we would be suspended with immediate effect, long before we had any chance to prove our innocence. Why should this be any different for a footballer?

Had Terry had any wherewithall he would have resigned as captain until his case was resolved. That is what Chris Huhne did when he was charged - and that was only for switching points to his wife's licence...not racial abuse. It speaks volumes for football that even a politician can make a better call in terms of dignity!

Capollo backed himself into a corner, called the FA's bluff and lost. Somehow I don't think they are too upset and at least the new manager will have a couple of months - although only a couple of games - to settle in.

Who will be next? Redknapp will be favourite, however Pearce may be a good candidate with his knowledge of the U21 set up.

So if another side wants to take out a player, all they have to do is make such a claim, genuinely or otherwise?

The answer is to have a quick resolution. Putting it off to July is just plain ridiculous by any measure.

Kevin Martin

• Like 1

oh,*#*" , wolves

we need to pull our selves together if we want to stay in this league !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well done to the baggies ,though we might wake up now!!!!!!!!

Looks like McCarthy has been sacked as a knee-jerk reaction to that result. Why do clubs do this? I'm sure the manager didn't want that result to happen in a month of Sundays. Have the club really improved their chances of staying up by doing this?

Looks like McCarthy has been sacked as a knee-jerk reaction to that result. Why do clubs do this? I'm sure the manager didn't want that result to happen in a month of Sundays. Have the club really improved their chances of staying up by doing this?

totally agree with you its not mccarthy that needed to be sacked but the A##hole steve morgan he is a liverpool fan ,how can you own a team which plays against your team?

Edited by BRCWType 2

• RMweb Premium

The fear of dropping out of the Premier League is immense. Now approaching the sharp end of the season time is of the essence and appointing a new manager may get the result required. Just look at Sunderland.

Mick McCarthy is a good honest pro', working with what he's got, the combination doesn't seem to be working. Unfortunately he's paid the price for poor results, be it his, his players, or his boards failings. I'll leave you all to be the judge of that.

Rob