RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

That final, fourth goal - the overhead kick from outside the box and facing away from goal - pure, unbelievable, brilliance.

Nah......

...........shinned it.

I thought that was the name of our army in the far east during World War 2.

Tiny misunderstanding there. Still, my hopes weren't high :jester:

Anyhow, let's have another look at that once-in-a-lifetime masterpiece:

Edited by Horsetan

A funny old weekend of Premier League football so far...

Man City won 5-0, which might not have surprised too many before the game, but the manner of the victory was odd. The first penalty was an extraordinarily poor decision, the second was a bit "meh", and after holding on for 45 minutes without conceding, I think Villa can consider themselves hard done by to have lost by 5. However, rightly or wrongly, they now find themselves in the relegation zone, which is worrying. Not QPR worrying, but still not good.

Liverpool seem to be showing signs of turning things around - OK, so it's Luis Suarez scoring over 50% of their goals, and he'll be a big miss if he gets injured (or opens his gob again), but for now, he's there, and on fire, so good luck to him. Not my favourite player, ever since his World Cup cheating shenanigans, but you can't argue with talent.

My lot, Chelsea, are also showing signs of turning it around - sadly, they were doing well before, and now they're facing the wrong way! I genuinely think Juan Mata is the best player in the league right now, but until Torres or Sturridge remember where they left their scoring boots, it'll be hard work. That said, third place is no terrible thing, and anyway, good luck to Steve Clarke and West Brom - as a Midlander, I want at leat one of the local teams to do well.

Really, there are no great (or even very good) teams in the league right now, IMO. There are great players, for sure, but the overall standard is pretty rotten compared to previous seasons. Still, if it makes for cracking, end-to-end football, I'm not complaining. And yes, I even include Man City in the "not a great team" category. It's just that they have such an embarrassment of great players that they can get away with an apparent lack of cohesion or team spirit, and a manager whose English seems to be getting worse every week...

Oh, I forgot - Fulham are doing rather nicely so far (I do like Martin Jol, I must say, particularly when he kept his dignity after being treated so poorly by that weasel Levy), and I see they are playing Sunderland later. I'd say that's a comfortable 3-0 to the home side, which will put them just behind Arsenal by the end of the weekend.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see you have time to post on here Steve now you don't have your job at Blackburn to worry about. Agree with you about the blues, but I think we were foolish in showing insufficient respect to Steve Clarke and his boys. There are no easy games in the PL and West Brom are having too good a season to be taken lightly even without the spur of SC's old connections.

My highlight was the local boys (to me) getting a great result against MU and doing CFC a favour along the way. Lowlight was another game (the North London Derby) ruined by a sending off. Although the decision was quite right, I cant help wondering about whether there is some other way to deal with those kind of incidents. It kills it for people that pay to get in, or pay to watch it on telly. Basically went from a great game in prospect to a flop. Don't know what the answer is - players need to be punished without ruining the game. How about forced substitution, followed by the three match ban but keep 11 v 11?

Wasn't going to bother with Sunderland v Fulham but home early after a walk so may as well give it a go

Edited by colin penfold

My highlight was the local boys (to me) getting a great result against MU and doing CFC a favour along the way. Lowlight was another game (the North London Derby) ruined by a sending off. Although the decision was quite right, I cant help wondering about whether there is some other way to deal with those kind of incidents. It kills it for people that pay to get in, or pay to watch it on telly. Basically went from a great game in prospect to a flop. Don't know what the answer is - players need to be punished without ruining the game. How about forced substitution, followed by the three match ban but keep 11 v 11?

Not even gonna comment on my teams cr*p performance against the Woolwich Exiles but thats an interesting point. In my sons Herts County Cup game earlier today the ref awarded a free kick to the opposing team. Not satisfied with winning a free kick the player kept wanting to fight the player who had fouled him then swore at the ref when he tried to calm him down. Send him off ? No the ref had a word with the manager and made him substitute him. Now i feel that was the best outcome...wll my opinion anyway

bournmouth 4 -1 oldham first half 76% of the posesion by all accounts holding out well

second half concede 2 in a minuite to ex tic loanee louise grabban who goes on to complete his hatrick leading to a complete and utter second half collapse (yet again) only brightened by matt smith coming on causing problems and bagging a late consolation again still no starting place for smith on tuesday no doubt

dickovs fourth defeat in a row after foure wins in five not looking good and tuesdays away trip to pools looks like a massive game for him and the team

cant see him keeping his job if we loose to donny in the cup

depressed of OLDHAM

Having only seen my team's game I can't comment on other matches, only results… thus, from my point of view, yesterday was almost perfect. On one hand Steve, one could say that Villa should feel hard done by to have lost 5-0, especially with that extraordinary penalty decision but in the cold light of day I'm not sure I agree.

Man City hadn't been beaten before that game (they haven't been beaten at home since 2010), they traditionally start games slowly and score most of their goals in the second half. They were basically camped in Villa's half for most of the match and, looking at it another way, had their strikers been on better form it could have been a cricket score.

I agree that so far the quality hasn't been great in Premiership this season but what's even more telling is the inconsistency of every team… with the exception of the bottom pair who have been consistently poor (at least Southampton tend to show great spirit before collapsing). It all points to the fact that there are no easy games, as Colin suggests.

It's all shaping up to what I'm hoping will be a classic second-half to the season… and wouldn't discount Liverpool for a top four just yet. I wonder how long Sparky will last at QPR and wonder where Man City would be now had he not been given the push!

As for the red card problem? Compulsory substitution (so only two subs left) for a red or two yellows except in the case of violence in which case, sorry but the culprit has let down his team-mates and fans, so shouldn't be subbed.

Speaking of which, Fulham's Brede Hangeland has just received his marching orders against Sunderland. It was a 0-0 stalemate up till that point…

Edited by Mucky Duck

Spare a thought for all of us Q.P.R. supporters and Tony Fernandes. A shedload of money spent on new players and our results are even worse than last season.Not worried about getting relegated this seaon

BUT worried about getting less points than Derby County managed in 2006 - 2007 (11Points). With 4 points from 12 games a mathmetition would say we will beat it, me I am not so sure. I regret to say tha Hughes will have to go.Great player,but not really been a successful manager.

Bring in Harry - I can't use a calculator - Rednapp.

• RMweb Gold

I'd say that's a comfortable 3-0 to the home side,

:blum:

Ok, we needed a (debatable) red card and didn't look comfortable even then, but at the moment I'll take anything.

I'd second your sentiments regarding Martin Jol.

• RMweb Gold

Spare a thought for all of us Q.P.R. supporters and Tony Fernandes. A shedload of money spent on new players and our results are even worse than last season.Not worried about getting relegated this seaon

BUT worried about getting less points than Derby County managed in 2006 - 2007 (11Points). With 4 points from 12 games a mathmetition would say we will beat it, me I am not so sure. I regret to say tha Hughes will have to go.Great player,but not really been a successful manager.

Bring in Harry - I can't use a calculator - Rednapp.

Thats what you get by going mad in the shops bargain hunting, you spend loads and come home with a load of "bargains" you dont use. They would have been better spending the shedload of money on two or three quality players rather than over a dozen people nobody had heard of. Do feel sorry for you but I do think there's quite a degree of self inflicted damage there from bad decision making

• Like 1

Thats what you get by going mad in the shops bargain hunting, you spend loads and come home with a load of "bargains" you dont use. They would have been better spending the shedload of money on two or three quality players rather than over a dozen people nobody had heard of. Do feel sorry for you but I do think there's quite a degree of self inflicted damage there from bad decision making

I have to agree with you in the main, the midfielder from Real Madrid - Granero is a good purchase,he is a class act.The two full backs are very attack minded,when we really need better defenders. Fabio is on loan so that makes sense, but he has been out injured.Some of the others I will not comment on.

Regards.

Norwich City fans of my acqaintance have been "in paradise" this weekend - a win against Man Utd, Ipswich trashed 6-0, and Aston Villa losing 5-0 (need to recall recent managerial events to understand this last one). The acquisition of Sebastien Bassong from Spurs early in the season seems to have made a huge difference 'cos the defence has tightened up massively (2 goals conceded in the last 5 games and apart from the 14 in 3 matches against Fulham, Man City, and Liverpool the other 9 games have conceded 4). Eddie Howe at Bournemouth now 9 games, 8 wins, and a draw since his return from Burnley.

Norwich City fans of my acqaintance have been "in paradise" this weekend - a win against Man Utd, Ipswich trashed 6-0, and Aston Villa losing 5-0 (need to recall recent managerial events to understand this last one). The acquisition of Sebastien Bassong from Spurs early in the season seems to have made a huge difference 'cos the defence has tightened up massively (2 goals conceded in the last 5 games and apart from the 14 in 3 matches against Fulham, Man City, and Liverpool the other 9 games have conceded 4). Eddie Howe at Bournemouth now 9 games, 8 wins, and a draw since his return from Burnley.

I do agree about Sebastien Bassong from Spurs. QPR were more intent on Michael Dawson ( very good player) but totally ignored Sebastien Bassong who has impressed me on several occassions in recent years.

The battle at Loftus Road is already lost. We realistically need 40 points to have any hope of survival,we have 4 from 11 games (come Saturday 4 from 12) Therefore 36 points required from 26 games.Thinking it through we can surely do that :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Gone for a lay down in a darkroom. I have just had another funny turn. :help:

4). Eddie Howe at Bournemouth now 9 games, 8 wins, and a draw since his return from Burnley.

bournmouth 4 -1 oldham first half 76% of the posesion by all accounts holding out well

second half concede 2 in a minuite to ex tic loanee louise grabban who goes on to complete his hatrick leading to a complete and utter second half collapse (yet again) only brightened by matt smith coming on causing problems and bagging a late consolation again still no starting place for smith on tuesday no doubt

Eddie Howe was very critical of the Cherries' first half performance, but Bournemouth's run of form astounds me. The difference made by the manager has surely never been so marked? I am a firm believer in giving a manager a good chance and like Newcastle's long contract stance with Pardew, however I feel that QPR could learn from Bournemouth - spend a lot of money in the summer, form gets worse, change manager, become unbeatable! :jester:

• Like 1

I do hope Eddie's run continues. He did this on taking Bournemouth over 4 seasons agao - a team bottom of D2 rallied to mid-table. Next season promotion to D1. Season after 2nd in division - then he left to join Burlnley and they ended up 6th (just), knocked out in play-offs easily. Laast year just missed relegation. This year rock bottom (5 points from 8 games until Eddie returned), 8 games, 22 points since (not 9 games as I mistakenly said above).

Eddie Howe was very critical of the Cherries' first half performance, but Bournemouth's run of form astounds me. The difference made by the manager has surely never been so marked? I am a firm believer in giving a manager a good chance and like Newcastle's long contract stance with Pardew, however I feel that QPR could learn from Bournemouth - spend a lot of money in the summer, form gets worse, change manager, become unbeatable! :jester:

As a QPR supporter since 1956 I think Torn-on-the-platform has hit the nail firmly on the head. I fear "Sparky" has lost the Dressing Room.

One small point about Bournemouth, I think David James is a greatly underrated asset in their Dressing Room.Goalies make howlers and people never forget, Strikers make loads more howlers and then score a great goal and life is a bed of roses.

• Like 1

I'm just happy that Fernandes never got his hooks into West Ham. David & David rightly told him where to go.

One for the football statisticians on here.

My local team managed to rack up a 6-0 win last weekend for the first time in over 30 years.

One curiosity though, they did this with only 5 on target shots according to most match statistics I have seen.

I'm curious as to which "goal" didn't count as being "on target" - the last 4 goals were all from flowing moves - but the first goal was a penalty and the second goal was deliberately "stomached" in by Nugent after the Ipswich goalkeeper unfortunately parried a powerful shot into his path.

I think Mick McCarthy may have his work cut out reviving the "Tractor Boys" as Dyer made them look dire.

Maybe a penalty doesn't count as a shot on target? Not sure. Or maybe it doesn't count as a shot if it comes off the stomach, ear, knee, shoulder...?

Oh, and thank you all for not taking the mick after my confident prediction of an easy win for Fulham. If anyone's team is in need of a win, let me know, and I'll post here, boldly proclaiming that they'll get stuffed next time out.

• Like 1