The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

The correct decision on their part, in my view, to show the seriousness of his reckless actions, would have been to fine the player a week's wages for every week his opponent is out injured over the rest of the season. That, and immediately dropping the player for the next three matches.

That would have been the decent thing to do, to show that we are all serious in our efforts to remove dangerous and reckless play from football. They haven't: in fact the responses by Whelan and his manager have been so appalling out of touch with the reality of the situation that I must ask if they have actually seen in the tackle in full...!

Fine sentiments, but in the real world, lets face it, it's never going to happen. No Premier League team is ever going to ban one of their own players (unless they think by doing that they'll get away with a lesser ban from the FA for something serious a la Eric's incursion of the terraces at Crystal Palace)

Wigan are never going to ban him and restrict their squad in their fight against relegation, too much money involved.

It's like Turkeys voting for Christmas, everyone involved in football especially in the upper echelons will seek to gain an advantage in some shape or form, I seriously can't see anyone going the other way.

Pretty much every Wigan fan will see it as, 'yeah bad 'un that, about time we got away with one, seeing how many decisions go against us' I don't think you're ever going to change those attitudes. 

It has happened before. Curbs dropped Paulo Di Canio at Charlton for three matches after diving and gaining a penalty, and I know there's a few League 1 managers who've dropped players for misdemeanours on the pitch.

I do take your point though. It's a shame that the game has gone so far down the path of "win at any cost" but then that's what comes with the large amounts of cash I suppose.

• RMweb Premium

The argument which always gets up my nose is the "he's not that sort of player" excuse. I suspect that only a very small minority of bad tackles are perpetrated with malicious intent but what is trying to be dealt with in most cases is simply reckless or ill-judged tackling. This is not to make any particular slur on the individual's character but simply to point out that he ought to be more careful in future and here's a significant fine and an X week ban. Football is, and will remain so, a contact sport and mistakes and bad injuries will happen. The critical part is how these situations are dealt with in fairness to all concerned. The FA's argument does not even attempt to do this and, as Simon has pointed out, doesn't even seem to be consistent with the laws as they stand. 

The weird irony in this situation is Dave Whelan attempting to excuse McManaman when he himself had to leave the 1960 cup final as a result of a broken leg.

David

The Blue Square Premier is turning into an interesting race for the title. I live in Kiddy and it's surprising how the Harriers have managed to get to the top as they had an awful start to the season, losing many of their early games! Very unpredictable, and despite other teams' games in hand I still wouldn't like to make a call as to who will win it, perm any one of the top 5!

Edited by Hobby

Anyone go to, or watch (I think it was on Sky) the England Under 21 game last night?

We were there for the Charter Standard club presentation - never seen such ridiculously harsh refereeing for a friendly. Both Austrian sending offs were harsh, and me and my brother did our bit for international relations by telling the Austrian coaching staff (we were sitting right next to their dugout!) that they were somewhat unlucky to concede four and the ref ruined a good game. Unsuprisingly, they agreed!

England played well though - Shelvey, Sterling and Wickham in particular. Bodes well for the future!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I watched the game which, as you say, was spoiled by the ridiculously harsh refereeing. I think it was arguable whether the 'keeper denied a clear goalscoring opportunity and given that these are young players and it was a friendly there was considerable room for a bit of common sense. Sadly that was not forthcoming. It looked like Psycho wasn't exactly happy with it either because Austria were giving the boys a really good test prior to the sending off and it was a really useful workout. After that, it became too easy really. Promising signs for the future of the England team though - some useful young players coming through and being managed well by an England stalwart in Mr Pearce.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm. Very disappointing from England in the second half. Two points, and the chance to top the group, effectively slung away. There was much that was good about the first half, especially the passing, but it seems to be the usual England MO to take the foot off of the gas when in the lead.

It seems to me that Montenegro had more desire; a greater will to try to win. There should be some heads hung in shame in the England team...

• RMweb Premium

We looked good in the 1st half due to Montenegro being so poor, but didn't capitalise on the dominance. in the 2nd half we came out expecting the same from Montenegro and got a shock from which we never recovered. 

Roy Keane summed it up, we are not good enough in competitions at top level. We may still qualify for Brazil, but then we'll get the same poor showing as always.

As for the U21's, they'll all get lead astray by agents and the high life if they show an ounce of talent.

Rob :no:  

• Like 2

We looked good in the 1st half due to Montenegro being so poor, but didn't capitalise on the dominance. in the 2nd half we came out expecting the same from Montenegro and got a shock from which we never recovered. 

Roy Keane summed it up, we are not good enough in competitions at top level. We may still qualify for Brazil, but then we'll get the same poor showing as always.

As for the U21's, they'll all get lead astray by agents and the high life if they show an ounce of talent.

Rob :no:  

We had the ability to create enough openings to be leading 3-0 by half-time and the game already won (as the Germans would do).  Instead we sat back on a one-goal lead and got what we deserved. 

Same old, same old.

• Like 1

No, apparently this is the real deal. First time I've agreed with David Miliband on anything, and I think he's done absolutely the right thing.

I say this as a Charlton fan who thoroughly enjoyed Di Canio's tenure with us, but then he had not revealed the extent of his political beliefs at that point (and more to the point, I was young and naive enough not to know or understand the ramifications).

I felt uneasy when Di Canio was manager of Swindon, and even more uneasy with him at Sunderland now.

• RMweb Premium

No, apparently this is the real deal. First time I've agreed with David Miliband on anything, and I think he's done absolutely the right thing.

I say this as a Charlton fan who thoroughly enjoyed Di Canio's tenure with us, but then he had not revealed the extent of his political beliefs at that point (and more to the point, I was young and naive enough not to know or understand the ramifications).

I felt uneasy when Di Canio was manager of Swindon, and even more uneasy with him at Sunderland now.

In which case, how much of an empty gesture will this be? Milliband is off to the States shortly, so the question is, would he have resigned his position anyway?

The whole matter around Sunderland seems odd anyhow. Does the lesson taught by Wolves not figured anywhere? Sorry for MoN as well, although the way the merry-go-round is at the moment he'll be back...

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

• RMweb Premium

Someone on here's going to be a happy bunnie.  :)

Chelsea 1-0 Man Utd, just about the right result today.

Ba's goal and Cech's save from Hernandez the highlights.

RVP missed 3 chances near the end, but overall Man U. didn't seem too bothered.

Rob 

• Like 2

Someone on here's going to be a happy bunnie.  :)

Chelsea 1-0 Man Utd, just about the right result today.

Ba's goal and Cech's save from Hernandez the highlights.

RVP missed 3 chances near the end, but overall Man U. didn't seem too bothered.

Rob 

Not bothered in the least, only one thing I wanted this year.

In which case, how much of an empty gesture will this be? Milliband is off to the States shortly, so the question is, would he have resigned his position anyway?

The whole matter around Sunderland seems odd anyhow. Does the lesson taught by Wolves not figured anywhere? Sorry for MoN as well, although the way the merry-go-round is at the moment he'll be back...

A completely empty gesture, IMO. Of course Milliband would have been leaving the club & off to the States to his (presumably highly-paid, or at least high profile) new charity job. It just seems like he couldn't help making a political point, however daft, before leaving.

If I were a Sunderland fan, I'd be far more concerned about his unstable character than the unlikelihood of his voting Labour any time soon...

Edited by Steve K