Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

…..What was even more ludicrous (but sadly, very familiar in these situations) was the insistence by some fans that if we lose to Colombia, Southgate should be sacked immediately.  :scratchhead:

I believe Southgate has done a great job so far....

But for a sizeable number, a football manager is only as good as his last match. They have nobody to answer to.

Japan play Belgium, so they've got an equally big ask.

Totally agree Jonny - I think we have benefitted from finishing second because, on paper, we have an easier route through. Having said that we still need to perform on the day and beat Colombia. Yes, without doubt, they are a better team than Japan. Had they not conceded a penalty and gone down to ten men inside the first five minutes I am sure Colombia would have had enough to beat Japan. Having said that Colombia's main man, James Rodriguez, seems a pale shadow of the player who shone four years ago. He is clearly struggling with injuries. 

If we play well we should beat Colombia and then Sweden or Switzerland are potentially beatable in the Quarter Finals. Should England suddenly find themselves in the last four Gareth Southgate's team selection last night will be seen as a master stroke by fickle fans and press alike. If we perform like we did against Iceland in the Euros, the same groups of people will be calling for his head.

Surely that should be "At some stage the eventual winners will have to beat Ronaldugal at penalties" ? :jester:

You are probably right, but Portugal have the draw which would have England pundits quaking in their boots - first they have to beat Uruguay and then play the winners of the France v Argentina game. 

• RMweb Gold

You are probably right, but Portugal have the draw which would have England pundits quaking in their boots - first they have to beat Uruguay and then play the winners of the France v Argentina game. 

O'ronald will probably get done by "Alligator Suarez", or one of the other Uruguayan rat pack.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Another vote here for Gareth Southgate. I think he is doing a great job.

As regards putting out a "second team" yesterday, very sensible. Since England are in the last group to play each time, they have less recovery time between matches. So best to rest players when you can.

Colombia are a pretty useful team with several star players. It won't be easy but if England do get past them, they should get to the semis.

Another vote here for Gareth Southgate. I think he is doing a great job.

As regards putting out a "second team" yesterday, very sensible. Since England are in the last group to play each time, they have less recovery time between matches. So best to rest players when you can.

Colombia are a pretty useful team with several star players. It won't be easy but if England do get past them, they should get to the semis.

Like in England atm, it is rather hot in Russia at present. IIRC the second group match gives England a shorter travel distance as well, which all helps.

They could have and possibly should have taken some of their chances better yesterday, but in the end it was a match that didn't really matter to either team other than deciding 1st and 2nd. I suspect Martinez is annoyed in a sense to be 1st as they looked like they were trying to get a draw, but also playing for the win.

This team has already surpassed Roy's team at the last world cup, so that is progress, and they're a young team remember, Arnold is only 19, a number of others are only 20-22 as well, even Kane iirc is only 24. Many of those players were playing in their first world cup, so they did well when factoring all things in.

Semis are definitely possible, but if we only get to the Quarters, that I think can be taken as job done for this team at this stage, Semis/finals for 2022 and finals for 2026 being the probably aims perhaps.

• RMweb Gold

This team has already surpassed Roy's team at the last world cup, so that is progress, and they're a young team remember, Arnold is only 19, a number of others are only 20-22 as well, even Kane iirc is only 24. Many of those players were playing in their first world cup, so they did well when factoring all things in.

It's also easy for us to ovelook some of the unexpected pressures on our lads.  Although some (most?) of them are paid a shedload of money, it's the first time many of them have had such a prolonged period away from their families, and this can be hard to handle on top of the heat, the game, the practice sessions, the media.......

• RMweb Premium

It's also easy for us to ovelook some of the unexpected pressures on our lads.  Although some (most?) of them are paid a shedload of money, it's the first time many of them have had such a prolonged period away from their families, and this can be hard to handle on top of the heat, the game, the practice sessions, the media.......

And other teams are somehow exempt from this?

• RMweb Gold

And other teams are somehow exempt from this?

I never said they were exempt, just that it's a pressure on our lads we don't always think about (plus the fact we are now the youngest team left?)

Edited by Metr0Land

• RMweb Gold

Not looking at all good for Argentina now!

I'm not crying (groan).  The great thing with Argentina out, is we won't have the camera cutting to that odious little has-been up in the stands every time they score.

• Like 2

I'm not crying (groan).  The great thing with Argentina out, is we won't have the camera cutting to that odious little has-been up in the stands every time they score.

Or to Ronaldo! How many times it cut to him for no apparent reason last night was ridiculous... 

• Like 1