The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

I thought Clattenburg was on the provisional confirmed  list before he went chasing a crock of gold in Saudi. Also not sure we've got a dozen quality referees in the Premiership but I could have missed them I suppose. :jester:

Which is why I said qualified not quality ;) . Whatever people think of our refs I would like to think that any that have officiated a premier league match will be better qualified to ref a pressurised world cup match than someone who refs in the Tahiti 1st division.....

I'm sure the national media will be hyping England saying we are almost in the final. However, lets keep some rationality. 

We have beaten Panama and Tunisia. 

We need to play teams such as Russia, Spain, Portugal, France, Croatia, Brazil and Mexico in order to see how good we are. However, a game against Belgium will do for a start.

Yes even allowing for we're 5 - 0 up and don't have to try too hard ........................ the second half pretty much showed that mark Kane & Lingard out of the game and England have little else to offer .............. I am sure that other teams will have picked up on that ................... Lakaku will tear our defence to shreds

Edited by Southernman46

• RMweb Gold

You might be right it seems as if Lewandowski has a highly contagious disease and his Polish team mates don't want to go anywhere near him. The poor man can't do it all on his own with zero support.

It's called Messi-itis. at least in the third one man team in the competition the supporting cast are told to hoof it up to somewhere near their talisman and let him get on with it.

Mike.

Yes even allowing for we're 5 - 0 up and don't have to try too hard ........................ the second half pretty much showed that mark Kane & Lingard out of the game and England have little else to offer .............. I am sure that other teams will have picked up on that ................... Lakaku will tear our defence to shreds

So. 5-0 up at half time on a hot day. The team take it easy in the second half to conserve energy and STILL you find a reason to be negative?

Phone call from brother Norrie...

"Are you watching the England game?"

Me: "No, I'd forgotten about it."

Norrie (gleefully): "I've just switched on - Panama's winning 1-0!

Oh - hang on...

(disappointedly) As you were...England's winning 6-1...

Damn. I need to get new glasses."

• RMweb Gold

So. 5-0 up at half time on a hot day. The team take it easy in the second half to conserve energy and STILL you find a reason to be negative?

Fully agree.

If we're 5-0 up at half time in the next half dozen matches, I for one would willingly suffer a turgid second half.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

England whatever happens, will get much further than Italy!!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Is it just me or was the first Uruguay goal a bit bizarre?

Normally you might expect an attacking team to try and make a free kick wall a bit "smaller" by various methods, but it looked like the Russian player shoved the two Uruguay players out of the way to make space for Suarez free kick..........

Cheers,

Mick

VAR is becoming a joke and ruining the game. Yep, refs may need help but it's getting ridiculous. You can't celebrate a goal until it's been checked by VAR, player power is influencing decisions and refs seem to be getting undermined rather than helped.

Nothing is simple where Iran is involved!!

• RMweb Gold

Is it just me or was the first Uruguay goal a bit bizarre?

Normally you might expect an attacking team to try and make a free kick wall a bit "smaller" by various methods, but it looked like the Russian player shoved the two Uruguay players out of the way to make space for Suarez free kick..........

Cheers,

Mick

It's time the whole tactics around defending free kicks was revisited by coaches. The attackers have got so much better at taking them aided by design of the ball.

I don't understand why they don't position one defender at the side of the goal not covered by the keeper.

It's time the whole tactics around defending free kicks was revisited by coaches. The attackers have got so much better at taking them aided by design of the ball.

I don't understand why they don't position one defender at the side of the goal not covered by the keeper.

Given a completely unobstructed view, most half-decent goalkeepers should be able to save even the best of free-kicks from twenty-five yards out.  It is perhaps only the requirement to be ten yards away, and the need to be able to stop a short pass/run on the goalkeeper that has defined the standard defensive formation and walls.

• RMweb Gold

Given a completely unobstructed view, most half-decent goalkeepers should be able to save even the best of free-kicks from twenty-five yards out.  It is perhaps only the requirement to be ten yards away, and the need to be able to stop a short pass/run on the goalkeeper that has defined the standard defensive formation and walls.

Indeed, the ten yard distance is important. Very noticeable that refereeing standards are variable on this with some referees having very short legs.

But since this enforced more often, tactics for defence need to be changed. Particularly silly when all the players in the wall jump and the ball passes beneath the wall - giving the goalkeeper no hope.

As for kicks struck over the wall, I am not convinced that even the best goalkeepers can save one hit into the top corner near post if they are standing closer to the far post - as seems to be the norm. It might be better to have two shorter walls and the goalkeeper to stand more central.