The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Alan Hodgkinson.

Mike.

Courtois would have had a field day carping on about how vertically challenged Hodgkinson was - only 5'9" (1.75m) tall - one of the few keepers I could have stood next to without feeling vertically challenged.

Good shot stopper but played for England before Gordon Banks so..........

• RMweb Gold

Courtois would have had a field day carping on about how vertically challenged Hodgkinson was - only 5'9" (1.75m) tall - one of the few keepers I could have stood next to without feeling vertically challenged.

Good shot stopper but played for England before Gordon Banks so..........

Yes, size isn't everything!

Played at a time when there were a lot of good goalkeepers, even Sheffield had 2 at opposing ends of the city.

In the United teams of the time he didn't need to be tall, most of the high stuff was taken care of by a succession of big midfielders.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, size isn't everything!

Played at a time when there were a lot of good goalkeepers, even Sheffield had 2 at opposing ends of the city.

In the United teams of the time he didn't need to be tall, most of the high stuff was taken care of by a succession of big midfielders.

Mike.

Yes in the 70s, England was full of good goalkeepers, Peter Bonetti barely played for England, because Gordon Banks held the green shirt and rightly so, PB hardly got a look in.

For almost any other national team, he would have been an automatic choice.

You can play absolute pants and still get through to the World Cup QFs - I've just seen the proof.

Hoping for an England win, as it would make a great 65th birthday prezzie for me, but not only have England got to beat Columbia they also have to beat their ITV hoodoo with one win in the last ten World Cup games covered by ITV. :jester:

Edited by cary hill

That match was a great insight into the lack of world class opposition on offer in the England half of the Quarter finals. Sadly, Colombia will have noticed that as well. 

Edited by jonny777

….. not only have England got to beat Columbia they also have to beat their ITV hoodoo with one win in the last ten World Cup games covered by ITV. :jester:

The Times has a headline "End it like Beckham" - I trust they're not referring to the occasion when he got sent off by Diego Simeone's ham-acting.

• RMweb Gold

That match was a great insight into the lack of world class opposition on offer in the England half of the Quarter finals. Sadly, Colombia will have noticed that as well. 

You can only try and beat what's put in front of you. I say let's go for it.

dont think much of this swiss team but their flag is a big plus 

Excellent!

I think England need to go for it tonight, and force the pace when they can, rather than waiting for things to happen.

That said, I hope it is not too humid, I even find 90 minutes watching in the pub to be tiring,

cheers

• RMweb Gold

You can play absolute pants and still get through to the World Cup QFs - I've just seen the proof.

Hoping for an England win, as it would make a great 65th birthday prezzie for me, but not only have England got to beat Columbia they also have to beat their ITV hoodoo with one win in the last ten World Cup games covered by ITV. :jester:

Congrats for the birthday - my 55th tomorrow.

Excellent!

I think England need to go for it tonight, and force the pace when they can, rather than waiting for things to happen.

That said, I hope it is not too humid, 

cheers

From what I can find, the temperature is about 17C this evening. 

Edited to add, I am assuming the match is at Spartak Moscow stadium. 

Edited by jonny777