Lancaster Green Ayre - The Barn Owls have returned.

jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

Progress has been on hold for the month.  It's been too hot to work in the shed a lot of the time. However after my granddaughter told me there was a lot of messs, she's 3 yrs old, I decided to do some tidying up.  For the last few weks I've been tidying the workshop area and today finished that job.  All sorts of things have appeared. I thought that I had found the entrance to the mythical black hole. I now have clear work surfaces for the first time in many months. That won't last long.  Next it's the modelling room and the shelves of shame where all the part and unbuilt kits reside.

However there has been some train running and this morning 996 was circulating with the L&Y excursion set. 5 yr. old Oliver was driving.  All good stuff.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
On 02/09/2022 at 11:49, Dragonboy said:

If you’re anything like me if I have a major clearing up session my modelling tends to stall because I can’t find where I’ve tidied stuff away to!

Brian

Yes  I know exactly what  you mean.  I am having to be very disciplined in not getting on with any modelling till the modelling room and desk are cleared.  However this sort of started when I wanted to repair a broken crank pin on my Compund and couldn't find a screwdriver.  Now I've got oodles of the things.  I just need to find some shelf space to put them all neatly in a pile.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Despite being busy with other tasks such as wiring up the two pups for the new septic tank.   I have done a bit of layout work.   Several locos had refused to go so I've had a go.

Here are two of them plus another of which more anon.

PA042648.JPG.ea40876113c45273cc930d7402ba717c.JPG

In the background is the chassis from one of the ex Lima 4F's breathed on by Ray Clasper.  It had stopped moving but the motor was running.  Initially I couldn't see a fault but when going back to it this week it was simples.   The grub screws on the drive sprocket had come loose.  It now runs well.

The 4-4-0 is my Slaters Compound that had ground to a halt with a broken crank pin.  That was fixed but it still wouldn't move.  Further investigation revealed that another crank pin had unscrewed itself through the wheel and the head of the 12BA bolt was catching on the springs.  Some cleaning of wheels and pick ups took place and it now runs sweetly.  

The other chassis is from the shelf of shame.  It belongs to a George Norton 2F kit that was part built by my late friend Tony Bond.  Parts of it were in various places in his house when i helped his daughter to clear it after he died.   I had a look through it's box the other day and this chassis was almost complete.  I think that i got the Portescap from the bring and Buy stall at Telford.   Anyway I found and fitted the second con rod then connected some croc clips from my ancient H & M duette and lo and behold it ran.   As it's not been out of it's box for well over 5 years I was happy with that.   I might well do more work on it this winter.  All in all some satisfying work.

However I have a confession to make.  I ws naughty at a broccante (Sort of car boot sale)  the other day and this slipped into my bag.

PA042647.JPG.f0e39c4fc780916da0edd697002f0bf7.JPG

A Joueff HO 6500 class.   I loved seeing these running, they were about 8000 HP.   I think it was worth 25 Euros.   I know it doesn't fit the layout but it does look nice and it runs.

210748130_Slides1991-B027.jpg.90ad87d33f0d52db0694fd8358d1e883.jpg

My then 9 yr old son is now 41.

Jamie

• Like 18

One of my favourites.

I managed one trip behind one, and one behind a C-C 7100 before both became freight only, then extinct.

I used to like the green Maurienne liveried C-C 6500's.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I spent mote time picking through the box with the George Norton designed 2F kit in it this evening.  Unfortunately  there are only instructions for the tender.  I think thstvitvwas a London Road models kit for a 3130 class 2F. 

I can work on the tender for the time being as I have an exploded diagram with the part numbers on it.  If anyone had a copy ofva similar diagram for thevlico thst they could scan for me I would be very grateful.  I think that London Road's 7mm stuff wentbon to become Foutrack.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I have a George Norton 3130 kit in 4mm would the instructions be the same Jamie? If so I can scan them and send them to you if you would like. I think that his 4mm kits were just scaled down from his 7mm kits.

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I have a George Norton 3130 kit in 4mm would the instructions be the same Jamie? If so I can scan them and send them to you if you would like. I think that his 4mm kits were just scaled down from his 7mm kits.

Regards Lez.

That would be great Lez.  I'll pm you with my email address.  Thanks very much.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

First of all a big thank you to Lezz, who has emailed me a set of instructions for the 4mm 3130.  These are fine as the kit is identical to the 7mm version.   Anyway my modelling mojo appeared yesterday and as the domestic authorities had decreed a lazy day I spent an hour or two in the shed.   It's a while since I soldered a brass kit and it took me some time to collect all the various tools that I needed from around the layout.   I set to work on the tender.

First though here are a couple of photos of what I retrieved from Tony's house. Here are the loco and tender chassis'.

PA082651.JPG.08f0197e6c65e6f752be3819f0d576ac.JPG

Tony had made his usual lovely job of the tender chassis with a sprung middle axle and wiper pickups on the outer wheelsets.   The loco chassis is true and runs freely but obviously needs more work.

He had made a start on both sets of bodywork.

PA082652.JPG.9d70ce4867910efa8c6311b4b63dcc3d.JPG

The boiler barrel is soldered along it's base but not attached to the footplate and cab.  It had got squashed a bit round the smokebox but is well on the way to getting sorted.

I then started adding bits to the tender.   The outer frames went on easily but then I found that the front and rear buffer beams were missing.  These were fabricated from some scrap etch and the toolbox/tank filler added.  The dividing plate for the coal space is missing so that will have to be made.

All in all I'm very happy with the progress.

PA082653.JPG.85fac734f7b20e3d3486562b07069e92.JPG

After a photo it was given a thorough wash to clean off flux.  3188 is coming along.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm pleased that I was able to help Jamie.

It's good to see you making progress with the 3130. They were a nice looking loco, that Johnson fellow was an artist wasn't he?

Regards Lez.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

We've just cycled across the site of Green Ayre, you're doing a great job of keeping it alive in miniature.

You've been to Sainsbury's then

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

18 minutes ago, 45156 said:

You've been to Sainsbury's then

Dodged around it on the cycle track (Ex  Lancaster to Wennington branch) on the way up to Bull Beck for a late breakfast, then cycled off the calories coming back to town.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I'm pleased that I was able to help Jamie.

It's good to see you making progress with the 3130. They were a nice looking loco, that Johnson fellow was an artist wasn't he?

Regards Lez.

He certainly was.   I got a bit more done today and the tender now looks like this.

PA092654.JPG.01e0ca3f07c4bea7b90e8ee2519886c9.JPG

Drilling out the buffer castings was going to be a pig as the machine vice on my pillar drill wasn't very good.   However I thought of using the Unimat and drilled them out to 4mm in no time.  I also got the lower steps on.  I'm going to use 145 degree solder for the upper steps tomorrow.

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Dodged around it on the cycle track (Ex  Lancaster to Wennington branch) on the way up to Bull Beck for a late breakfast, then cycled off the calories coming back to town.

Ah memories - I have had a few bacon sarnies from Bull Beck, as I lived in Brookhouse for 17 years until March this year.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another 2 days and more work.   It's beginning to look like a tender now.   However, I also put the buffer castings onto the loco.  That way they don't get lost, like the buffer springs have.   They've found the entrance to the black hole. The steps have now been fitted.  I fitted the coal rails first then the low melt solder came out to attach the axle box castings.  I need to glue the axle box covers on .   I've also made a start on the stands for the water cocks and handbrake.   Those etches have gone walkabout so more scrap etch has been used to make the first one, which is now attached.   I'm happy with progress so far. The bracket can be seen just sticking out at the front.

PA112655.JPG.ac246a6913a1ea95482a02c87888fb18.JPG

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

A little but more progress last night listening to a Little Owl that was around.   Sadly, when I got back in the house, I hear the sad news that Mike Storey a good friend, had died unexpectedly on Sunday.  Mike was a relatively near neighbour of mine, 6 miles, and was a good friend and regularly commented on this thread.   I got to know him before we moved out here.  I moved the layout over here in January 2018, after the 2017 Warley show.  The layout arrived on pallets as a part load on a lorry bound for Portugal.  Mike came over and helped Mel, another friend and I, unload the layout then came back the next day to help erect it.

Here he is in the woodshed entrance waiting for another pallet to arrive on the forklift.

P1010740.JPG.f4f4fdd872dc2532159685312c5a45ef.JPG

RIP Mike

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

That is indeed sad news about Mike.  I never met him but followed his posts.

RIP Mike.

Very sad, I know his brother quite well although it's some years since I last saw him at an exhibition.  Condolences to the family.  Jamie do you know how Mike's wife is managing, is she ok?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Very sad, I know his brother quite well although it's some years since I last saw him at an exhibition.  Condolences to the family.  Jamie do you know how Mike's wife is managing, is she ok?

The simple answer is that I don't.  Mike was her full time carer so it is going to be a very diffi tine for her. I'm planning to go and call in the next few days and will PM you.

Jamie

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a rather dark Charente.   I had two good sessions in the shed yesterday.  In the afternoon I finished detailing the render and added lamp irons, a toolbox and some grab rails above the steps.  I prefer to use Laurie Griffins lovely cast brass lamp irons rather than the fold up etches.  They look a whole lot better.  The I fitted it to the chassis and it looks like this.

PA162662.JPG.9195b48076644642f756f7f96d8538d4.JPG

It just needs a  good clean up before a coat of paint.  I'm happy with the result.

Attention has now turned to the engine.   The first job was to oil the axle bearings.  Then the croc clips were connected and it ran smoothly.   A start was made on pickups with aralditing some lengths of copperclad to the top of the frames ready for wiper pick ups that will bear on the top of the driving wheels.

In the evening I did some work on the boiler and found a large crease down one side near the dome.  I tried various ways to sort this but they failed.   In desperation i found a length of 20mm brass rod which I secured in the big bench vice.   This was then used as an anvil to gently tap the boiler with a small flat headed hammer.  To my amazement this worked and I ended up with a round and smooth boiler.  This was well outside my comfort zone.  Anyway I put the body on the chassis and put them next to the tender.  

PA162664.JPG.11eb39ba849edcf1eb67be906c2eea8d.JPG

Again I'm happy with the result.  Next job is to sort the inner and outer smokebox wrappers.

Jamie.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning.  two steps back and 1 forward.   I started soldering the inner and outer smokebox wrappers on.  I eventually found my solder past and as it was a bit dry used a little phosphoric acid flux to rejuvenate it.  It seemed to work and the inner wrapper was soldered without drama.  The outer wrapper was then cleaned, paste was spread and the whole thing heated with the kitchen blowtorch.  Florists wire was used to hold it in place.

PA182668.JPG.366c96e8a6b31e504ea6ffaa50672045.JPG

That attempt and the next were unsuccessful and the wrapper peeled off.  A full clean was done and at a third attempt it stuck,

PA182669.JPG.0d9f1f3727b4c85c14fb5d20b94cb25a.JPG

I also added the cabside steps.  There is progress.

Jamie

• Like 13