Lancaster Green Ayre - The Barn Owls have returned.

jamie92208

A few weeks ago I was in the only remaining buildings on the site, once occupied by Luneside Engineering, one of whose early projects has been found in a scrapyard near Endmoor. 

The sole surviving UK prototype of the Kendall light car, something that a version of became the Panhard Dyna.

IMG_20220917_132823.jpg.84995e3b61b9a7ef1c628282c75db387.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening from a dark but dry Charente.  I have been doing bits and bats over the past few days and the loco is coming along with pauses to wait for paint to dry.   The transfers and numberplates are now all on and it is starting to look like a loco and has it's identity.

PB282769.JPG.d3bcba634f1b0b83a20ffae5fd3df0ab.JPG

I've put the first paint on the cab interior so tomorrow will do the lower part in maroon.

The tender is now almost complete.

Tonight, I added coal to the tender and the dilute PVA is drying,

PB282768.JPG.59f05740614d247d6caf29f44b6a46db.JPG

I forgot to put some masking tape in the coal hole so will have t clean the PVA of the shovelling plate. Just buffers and fire irons to add.  Once the loco frames are painted then it will be time to add pickups and reassemble it.

The next loco this winter is going to be 2P 448.  I hope to get it assembled and tested by spring then will paint it in the warmer weather.   The kit is a Gibson one that I bought off Ebay for a good price.   A lot of work has been done on it and this is where it is at.

PB282767.JPG.28d52f40681ffc20a04e21ea24c596cb.JPG

Whoever started it has done a good job.  I'm looking forward to it.  The only thing that I've done tonight is to cut a piece out of the base of the boiler to clear the gear wheel.

Jamie

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's rather cold here but I've just ad an hour in the shed with an extra layer or two on.  I have slowly reassembled the loco chassis after painting it.   Before I fit pick ups I wanted to make sure that it is free running.  Initially there seemed to be a bind.  I then just put the con rods on the front two axles.  still binding, tried again on the rear axles.  No problem.   Some measuring and a few minor tweaks to the rods to straighten out a kink then finally connected all 3 axles and put all the bushes in.   Hey presto it's now running freely without the motor. Then the body was offered up.  I knew that the rear wheels would probably contact the cab front plate inside the splashers.  Sure enough it did.  A few touches with a dremel and slitting disc sorted that.   It now rolls freely with nothing apparently catching.   Here is the result.

PC062780.JPG.66ac7dce534d505e69159e34dc42b1fb.JPG

A nice result.  Now back in the warm.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

I hate to sound a negative note but - the '3' of 3188 has split and distorted during application.

Shame to spoil the ship for a h'porth of tar, don't you think?

CJI.

Thanks.  The power of acphoto to show defects.  I'll sort that.  

I've aso got to pack the tender body up to get the footplates level.  Litle jobs but they need doing.  The coal in the tender has come out looking OK.

Jamie

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

Thanks.  The power of acphoto to show defects.  I'll sort that.  

I've aso got to pack the tender body up to get the footplates level.  Litle jobs but they need doing.  The coal in the tender has come out looking OK.

Jamie

The trials of being a transfer producer - application has to be just-so!

I am fortunate, in that I can print my own loco numbers as one-piece, correctly-spaced transfers.

CJI.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I am fortunate, in that I can print my own loco numbers as one-piece, correctly-spaced transfers.

CJI.

I've just checked, that errant 3 is Methfix and I have one spare 3 left on the sheet. What solvent is best for removing the errant one.  I have, water, alcohol, mek, hydrochloric acid and phosphoric acid available.

Jamie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I've just checked, that errant 3 is Methfix and I have one spare 3 left on the sheet. What solvent is best for removing the errant one.  I have, water, alcohol, mek, hydrochloric acid and phosphoric acid available.

Jamie

As my transfers are waterslide, I am not an expert on Methfix.

Assuming that the transfer has not been sealed, the ideal solvent for the adhesive would be methylated spirits.

Failing that, a sparing application of alcohol would be my first approach.

CJI.

PS. Fair point about acrylic paints - as a confirmed enamel / cellulose user, it hadn't occurred to me.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

Would it be too expensive to do the same commercially?

1 hour ago, JeffP said:

Would it be too expensive to do the same commercially?

Three problems :-

i] the legacy Alps printing process that I use can reproduce BR lettering colours OK, but the LMS 'Old Gold' numbering, as per the above model, is beyond the scope of that technology; (one reason that I only produce BR steam era transfers);

ii] the smallest sheet that I can print is A6 - quite a lot of numbers would have to be included on the sheet;

iii] everybody wants different numbers; the design work is prohibitively time-consuming - for me, at least. (I believe that Railtec offer bespoke numbering).

Sorry,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

What paint have you used?  I know from experience that alcohol can change the colour of some acrylic paints.

If not yet varnished, I would have thought a toothpick would be best using gentle rubbing.

6 hours ago, cctransuk said:

As my transfers are waterslide, I am not an expert on Methfix.

Assuming that the transfer has not been sealed, the ideal solvent for the adhesive would be methylated spirits.

Failing that, a sparing application of alcohol would be my first approach.

CJI.

PS. Fair point about acrylic paints - as a confirmed enamel / cellulose user, it hadn't occurred to me.

Thanks for the two replies.  The alcohol is the French version of Meths, widelybavailable in supermarkets as cleaning alcohol.  Itvworked OK for fixing them and didn't harm the paint which is cellulose spray paint boughtvat Action, a French versionnof poundstretcher.  I will habeca go tonight.  I do have 1  no 3 left on that sheet.  I have another HMRS Midland sheet to go at after that.  Heaven help mevifvI ever get roumd to building the fast freight 3F which was 3333.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the advice.   I used French Meths, cleaning alcohol and after leaving it to soak the faulty transfer came off.   This was replaced without any problem.   As I was on a roll I also had a go at repositioning the figure 1 which wasn't vertical.   Lo and behold that worked as well.  Here is the evidence of the result.

PC072781.JPG.594314889c2a48db81fd4af33dcd8051.JPG

The coal does look OK as well.

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JeffP said:

Oh good grief, I'd forgotten Noz...the only shop where you wipe your feet after coming outside😄

They do often have UK stuff though. Currants for instance.  Vital for Eccles Cakes.  You do sometimes see the in Leclerc but not often.  There's also one called Stock mania or something like that as well.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Thanks for all the advice.   I used French Meths, cleaning alcohol and after leaving it to soak the faulty transfer came off.   This was replaced without any problem.   As I was on a roll I also had a go at repositioning the figure 1 which wasn't vertical.   Lo and behold that worked as well.  Here is the evidence of the result.

PC072781.JPG.594314889c2a48db81fd4af33dcd8051.JPG

The coal does look OK as well.

Jamie

I don't know if it's me but something looks wrong with one of the number 8s , it's going to be the first one is high or the last one is low.

When I used to my own paint jobs I would draw a pencil line under or above the numbers so I could line them up on the loco / tender / tank side, if you wanted you could also add a vertical line at the number centres to get the spacing correct. 

ATB

OzzyO.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Happy New Year to anyone still looking at the thread. It's 3 months since I wrote anything. However last week an enenthusiastic 6 Yr old came over and wanted to play trains whilst his father was away fetching so e soil.  We did get a train running but it wouldn't budge past the station on the down main.  Anyway I was banished to the shed for an hour tonight whilst the boss was chatting to a friend.  I found the fault fairly quickly and after sorting g another couple of things and much track cleaning I ran 996 plus 2 L&Y  coaches round a few times.  I then started the same on the Up main and have had 311 running light engine.  There is a derailment at one point that I need to sort.  I even used part of the signalling system and the right relays were doing g their stuff at the right times.  Now time for some Scottish Medecine.

Jamie

• Like 15