The Titfield Thunderbolt

I was in luck on one visit to Monkton Combe aka Titield, I got talking to a gent who lives in a house built on the trackbed just west of the station and he invited me to have a poke around his garden, and found the spot where the water tower stood.

post-20343-0-80114800-1388067430_thumb.jpg

post-20343-0-72919800-1388067433_thumb.jpg

Sadly, when I went there for Steam World, some 20 years ago, even then this was all that was left of the entrance to Titfield station. This is the scene with the entrance gate and the sign fixed across the two big gate posts. One gate post is still standing, between the garages.

Isn't that the other gatepost, to the right of the garage? :scratchhead:

I was in luck on one visit to Monkton Combe aka Titield, I got talking to a gent who lives in a house built on the trackbed just west of the station and he invited me to have a poke around his garden, and found the spot where the water tower stood.

Anymore of these shots?

A remake could be done on the NNR with holt as titfield and sherringham as mallingford. The biggest challenge of a remake would be getting lion out of its coffin in Liverpool!

Sounds good, but would anyone in their right mind allow Lion to be used for filming seeing the damage Ealing Studios did in 1952?

Anymore of these shots?

Two shots at Combe Hay, when the bus races the train along Combe Hay Lane (the missus waits patiently by the car during yet another day spent tracking down old railways....) and Barningham's Bridge.

post-20343-0-42517400-1388077268_thumb.jpg

post-20343-0-61279300-1388077271_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Interesting pictures, I would 'like' them but it's quite sad to see how much it's changed and not for the better.

I appreciate this isn't really appropriate for a model railway forum, but I've long thought a working replica of Lion would be a worthwhile project. There have been many calls for Lion to be steamed again. A replica could achieve this, whilst still retaining the original on display in its current condition. By replica standards it would be a lower cost project (which isn't the same as low cost, of course), and Lion would be available for reference. We even have the ideal name - Thunderbolt.

I agree wholeheartedly, a replica of Lion would be a good project and more likely to succeed than some (many?) that a touted about. IIRC Lion had a sister loco name Tiger, something to bear in mind perhaps.

I agree. It would be a CGI nightmare with directors and actors who would miss the innocence and fun of the film and it would lose all its magic

You jest, but there was an American remake of 'Kind Hearts and Coronets' touted a few years back with Will Smith and Robin Williams (in the multi-part role). Luckily it seems to have sunk like Admiral Horatio D'Ascoyne's battleship. 

that really would be the perfect name if your idea comes true :)

Maybe we should rename Lion to Thunderbolt ;) and after that comment I'm going into hiding ;)

Rhys

I'm not sure you realise the trouble you're in now. As you keep a look out by the front window for Liverpudlians and steam fans bearing burning torches, you could miss the crowd approaching from the back with "50027 Forever" t-shirts, "Hercules - NEVER AGAIN" placards and English Electric pitchforks.

I prefer the Thunderbolt livery too ;) Rest assured Hoover fans I have no intention of renaming your 50. Because I am much more a fan of the LNER I must admit the "Hurcules-NEVER AGAIN" part has got me thoroughly confused as I know little of these oily contraptions known as deisels?

Archived