The Titfield Thunderbolt

I thought the scene when the 14XX went "walkies" was quite well done it actually looked quite like a 14XX!

Keith

Incidentally there were two 14xx's used in the film, 1401 and 1450 the latter also numbered as 1401 and it is still with us in operational condition. There is some good footage of the outtakes in Steam on 35mm by John Huntley

• RMweb Gold

Trouble is that the TTT is a gorgeous film because it epitomises a way of life that has disappeared, would The Squire be held in such esteem, would the Vicar be such a pillar and would Mr Valentine exist today?

Well, the idea would be to re-create those halcyon days, not to set it in the present day (although, that might make an interesting but different kind of re-make)...

My Grandfather (Well Great Uncle but thats long story ) Worked on the film and told me that for the sceen outside the museum thay had to paint the grass green because the film at that time made it look blue at night :blink: :unsure:

My father also worked on the film both in the studios and on location.  There is actual a picture of him working (?) in Simon Castens Book.

I do have some pictures, b & W stills that were taken as publicity shots. I will try and find and post one on here.

Peter

A wonderful film, and in my top three! Hopefully the distributor will re-telecine a print to High Def at some stage.

I'm just trying to imagine a modern remake, it would probably be based in California and the bar car would become a burger bar, "a pint of your finest mild and bitter ale" would be a maple syrup milkshake.

'Titfield Thunderbolt' was something of a curiousity in its day I think. By the time I saw it in 1959 it was being screened in a backstreet cinema. When the title came up on screen I thought it was going to be a boring film about race horses, but it didn't matter as we (the lads) only went there Sundays nights to sober up and chat with the girls. I was the only one on the back row watching the movie...! :)

Remake the Titfield Thunderbolt? Please, please NO.

I agree. It would be a CGI nightmare with directors and actors who would miss the innocence and fun of the film and it would lose all its magic

Remake the Titfield Thunderbolt? Please, please NO.

I agree. Has anyone seen the remake of Brief Encounter with Sofie Lorwrenn (is that how you spell her name?) and I think Richard Burton.

It was pants had non of the character of the original film and was all EMUs (so how do you now get that smut in your eye?)

OzzyO.

If someone was to re-make the Titfield Thunderbolt and keep it set in the 1950s (or 1960s) - presumably using a heritage railway - which location(s) would you think would be best suited to this?

It's a shame the track between Radstock and Frome is in such a poor state, otherwise this would have been ideal. But no, I think it should not be remade.

BUT....................................................

If Hollywood did a remake, who would you put in the starring roles?

Leonard DiCaprio as Hawkins

Kiera Knightly as Joan

Ian McShane as Mr Valentine

Clint Eastwood as Rev' Weech

Johnny Depp and Ricky Gervais as Pearce and Crump

Matt Damon as the Squire

Brian Blessed as Dan

Tommy Lee Jones as the Bishop of Welchester

Julian Clary as Mr Blakeworth

And of course Bob Crow could have a cameo

As this is getting just a little bit away from the original OPs question, I have taken it to Wheeltappers.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Sadly, when I went there for Steam World, some 20 years ago, even then this was all that was left of the entrance to Titfield station. This is the scene with the entrance gate and the sign fixed across the two big gate posts. One gate post is still standing, between the garages. The site has gone because the ground level has been raised back to pre-railway level as a playing field for Monkton Combe school.

The film should NEVER be remade and I cite two examples in support:

The 39 Steps  - The Kenneth More 1960s version WAS a remake but had A4s and the Forth Bridge. The remake of that was made on the Severn Valley Railway and is feeble by comparison.

The Taking of Pelham 123 - The Walter Matthau version is subtle, clever, and the violence menacing but understated. The Travolta remake is foul-mouthed, gross and revolting and the gratuitous violence nowhere near as menacing.

CHRIS LEIGH

post-1062-0-41566600-1387917688_thumb.jpeg

I appreciate this isn't really appropriate for a model railway forum, but I've long thought a working replica of Lion would be a worthwhile project. There have been many calls for Lion to be steamed again. A replica could achieve this, whilst still retaining the original on display in its current condition. By replica standards it would be a lower cost project (which isn't the same as low cost, of course), and Lion would be available for reference. We even have the ideal name - Thunderbolt.

Archived